Cretaceous Bodacious: The Stomping Land On Early Access

By Alice O'Connor on June 2nd, 2014 at 2:00 pm.

Roar!

I’ve never really taken to survival games because, in all honesty, I’d probably choose not to survive in their doomed worlds. Were I to play DayZ, I imagine I’d scavenge a book and a bottle of alcohol disinfectant then enjoy both on a beach before taking a nice long swim in the cold sea. However, a dinosaur world where tribes fight each other atop dinosaurs for the opportunity to eat bigger dinosaurs, that’s a world with purpose.

Open-world dino survival The Stomping Land is now on Steam Early Access, offering that fantasy for £18.99.

See, in a land roamed by dinosaurs, all you really want is a good meal, the kind that only a colossal predator can provide. These walking dinners are too mighty for you to topple, but they will roam and fight each other. If your tribe can survive the wilds and other tribes, why, maybe you’ll be around to munch on their corpses.

It’s the usual crafting, scavenging, hunting, and all that, but warring and big dino-dinners should add more direction than many open-world survive ‘em ups have. That’s good. I do better with a sense of purpose, otherwise disinfectant book beach etc. And in the game. Also the feature list includes “random dinosaur stampedes,” which I’d certainly want to live to see.

“If you wish to jump into a more finalized gameplay experience, it is recommended to not purchase the game until release, as all features require balancing, bugfixing, and updates for smoother implementation,” developers SuperCrit do warn. They plan to add another nine dinosaurs to the current lineup of six, whack in more craftable weapons and items, and improve the dinosaur AI over the early access period. Here’s how it looks right now though:

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Wowbagger says:

I think £18.99 is ridiculously expensive for what this game amounts to.

• Boothie says:

it does match the other game in its genre tho, namely DAYZ and dayz is also still lacking severely in features, not saying i agree with the pricing but you cant say theyre pulling the numbers out of their ass

Rizlar says:

That may not be where they are getting the price from but I know where they can stick it…

• CptPlanet says:

Dayz is about 10 times more packed than this at the moment.

• derbefrier says:

nah 60 bucks would be ridiculously high 25 is about the same as every other game in the same genre with comparable content available give or take a few dollars.

• SillyWizard says:

Weird. I could have sworn that…

Ah yes! Here it is:

2. Rincewind says:

Is it just me, or is anyone else sick of crafting as a mechanic? I’m tired of having to alt-tab out of a game and spend time looking up things on a Wiki somewhere, breaking the immersion and sending me back to the bad old days when games came with 100 page manuals that you had to keep next to you at all times.

For god’s sake, if you’re going to include crafting in a game, at least put the information within the game.

• Niko says:

Haven’t tried the game, but I guess it’s not about crafting as a mechanic, but rather about a particular implementation?

• demicanadian says:

What crafting mechanic? You have wood and stone, and everything is doing itself. Other thing is that right now if you craft anything, all resources vanish.

• Boothie says:

well he could mean that the number of resources for any given item is rather arbitrary so if you end up gathering a bunch of stone and wood you stand there scratching your head “why the fuck cant i build this fireplace, and end up having to look up on the wiki to find out that your 3 stones short etc

• Moraven says:

A lot of games before Minecraft had the guess and try crafting system. It is not for everyone. Some people like the mystery and experimentation while others do not like to lose materials and all the guesswork. Hell those games you have to write it all done else you forget easily how to craft stuff.

Least I ask for is some in game journal to track successful crafts.

3. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Might nab this in a sale for the singleplayer but multiplayer doesn’t appeal as from what I’ve heard it’s pretty much another DayZ style grief-a-thon, in that most stories I’ve heard so far aren’t “we hunted this dino and it was awesome” but rather “we captured this player and dragged them about/put them in a cage for lolz”.

Having those options in the game spoils the premise for me (as DayZ isn’t about zombies this sounds like the multiplayer isn’t about dinos), we’ve already got DayZ (and a multitude of clones) but this could have been something different. Oh well.

Martel says:

Ahh, too bad. That cuts it off my list as well

• Zankmam says:

1. That “griefing” and stuff just showcases human nature.

2. You can always just organize private groups (be that 2 or 20 people) and play on servers like that.

• Artist says:

Rubbish. Its only because they can hide behind their screens. Doubt they would do that in RL.

• Polifemo says:

Free-for-all grief-a-thons are no fun. That also makes this game a no-no for me which is a shame since the setting seemed so interesting.

What I would do is have there be three tribes (because 1v1 just ends with one side always being stronger). You start as tribe-less. You have to reach a tribes territory were you interact with a thingamabob (of which there are several so they cant be camped) to join said tribe. If there are significantly more members of a tribe than others you cant join them.
      Tribesmen cant be attacked by other tribesmen of the same tribe and only tribesmen can build structures and have access to more useful and complex crafts (so you have an incentive to actually join a tribe instead of being a free-for-all ass).
      No-tribes should probably not be able to attack no-tribes also to force a sense of camarediere (even if its just “us vs them”) from the start which these type of games sorely lack and is one of the reasons they become such a grief-fest.
      Problem is I get the feeling the devs of this type of game actively or subconciously encourage the grief because they want ” the DayZ audience”.

Chaz says:

Or perhaps as this is an early alpha, they want to see how certain aspects of the game play out unrestricted before reining it in.

4. razgon says:

As far as I can see, this is the kind of torture-murder-humuliation simulation that some people seem to enjoy, in that you can tie people up and put them in cages. Its pretty much what every Steam review I read says about the game. “Captured a player, put him in a cage for a few hours” , “Would play again”.

Will I find the idea of the gameplay excellent, I find the use to be rather horrible.

Rizlar says:

Yeah, better to just stick with games simulating shooting people in the face in vivid detail, or commiting genocide on a global scale by moving little people around a map. Good, wholesome, traditional gaming!

• Sian says:

There’s a very important difference. It’s a shame you’re trying to avoid it for the sake of your argument (or for the sake of trolling).

The difference is that you’re deliberately spoilong someone else’s game unless they actually agree to being kept prisoner and humiliated. I’m willing to bet that most people who these things don’t bother to ask first, though.

And while you kill people in shooters, that’s part of the competition, it’s over quickly and the game goes on. Vivid detail, by the way, is not a focus in most shooters. In most RTS, genocide is not even remotely a thing. The civilian population is, as you might have noticed, absent in most of those games. In grand strategy and 4X games where there is a civilian population, you mostly take over their cities and don’t erradicate their race. Yes, it’s possible to grief in those games too, but it’s not as pronounced as in these “survival” games.

So if someone says they won’t play a game because they don’t agree with the way quite a few players handle matters there, that’s their business and their right. There’s no need to attack them for it.

Rizlar says:

Slightly offended to be called a troll, as far as I know sarcasm does not equal trolling. Apologies if it came across as such.

And it wasn’t meant as a personal attack, just wanted to point out how ridiculous it is to say that a game is horrible because it lets you tie up other players and lock them in cages while the majority of games we play contain a lot of very violent content. I find it interesting that people play in virtual spaces and enjoy interacting in these different ways, tying each other up, imprisoning each other. If you don’t enjoy these games, fair enough, but at least give them a chance and don’t try to imply that the players are all griefers who are into torturing people in real life, it just isn’t true.

• SillyWizard says:

Right…clearly there’s a pretty healthy demographic out there that really enjoys these types of games. With the right mindset, I could see myself being pretty amused by getting captured (in a game), locked up in a cage, and fucked with. I wouldn’t want to play it all the time, but I can certainly see the occasional appeal.

There’s still every other game in the world if you don’t like this kind of thing. Nobody is trying to force anybody to play these things.

• Niko says:

I was surprised how popular Minecraft “prison servers” are some time ago. People willingly take the roles of prisoners or guards and then… roleplay? It’s quite weird, unless I don’t understand something.

• Artist says:

You maybe oversaw that the “prisoners” can still move freely within their blocks and comence their day-to-day business.

The Rope-mechanics + cages in Stomping Land actively prevent a player from doing anything! Best anti-gameplay you can have.

• JFS says:

Don’t ask. Really… don’t.

5. nrvsNRG says:

i luv you for this.

6. Lancezh says:

The game isn’t just there yet, i bought it day 1 and i see huge potential in it… BUT the most content comes from the players anyways… if you play this with friends (just like rust) you can expect some hillarious moments. I really really really hope this grows into a great game because it has the potential and ideas. Like no physical inventory on your character (everyting drops to the ground and into stashes) you can tie people up and drag them around put them in cages… not everything you can kill with your weapons etc. There are GREAT concepts in here…

and then there’s this:
    (5:06- onwards)

The game does have it’s hillarious moments and if you know what i’m talking about and don’t take yourself to serious in these games then you’re gonna have a blast. This is a game to play with lots of friends… Otherwise i would not recommend buying it.

• rcguitarist says:

But that’s just it, the game isn’t marketing itself as a hilarious game, it is marketing itself as a serious and dramatic game or exploration and survival. I am not into the whole DayZ/Rust scene as I find those games boring, annoying and not realistic at all (how many of you really are going to become mass murders of innocent people if the economy crumbled), but I have to give the most respect to Rust which doesn’t try to market itself as anything other than what it is…a funny game where chaos reigns.

• Niko says:

I’d really like to see a game with complete permadeath, so the stakes are high, and where any character can die because of some stupid mistake or simply because he’s outnumbered. Where we can see situation like “Ten peasants kill a knight in full armor” or “Tough guy gets stabbed in the dark”, and the things are balanced in such a way that becoming a mass murderer requires real dedication and a large amount of luck as well. Haven & Hearth tried to do something like that, but the difference between high- and low-level gear in that game was too large.

• rcguitarist says:

Permadeth or even death for a week would make players really put alot of thought into their actions and play more carefully. Spend $30 on a game, then, by running around mindlessly trying to kill people, get yourself killed and not be able to log onto the servers for a week. They would learn their lesson really quickly. Plus, it would inspire an in-game justice system because anytime you see someone get killed for no reason, you know that player will not be able to play for a full week, so you will feel bad for them. And not wanting that to happen to you, you and other players will try to kill the murderer and stop his/her terror.

• Artist says:

Thats utter rubbish. They will mindlessly kill and when you get them they would just join the next server.
            Also, you dont sell games by not letting players play.

7. Chuckleluck says:

Dinosaurs certainly need to be more prominent in gaming. I enjoyed playing as a human in Primal Carnage despite its shortfalls. I just wish this was a survival game set in dinosaur-filled lands, not a torture simulator with dinosaurs to differentiate it from all the other torture simulators.

8. steviebops says:

How often are these actually about survival anymore? It seems the genre has gotten ired in griefing simulation.

9. FriendlyPsicopath says:

Is this a bondage simulator? Cause everybody seems into that…

10. rexx.sabotage says:

“random dinosaur stampedes”

You know the ones, wearing the silly hats, pulling unexpected stunts, dropping those arbitrary pop-culture references.

so random

11. foszae says:

It suggest something grim about the modern world that one of the favourite genres of the zeitgeist is struggling alone in a survival game. How is that the highest the human spirit can aspire to? Why are our fantasies such a nihilistic vacuum?

• bill says:

I guess it stems from current western insecurity. Our cushy way of life with a guaranteed middle class income and job is looking less and less stable, what with economic crises, offshoring of jobs overseas, the rise of china, etc…
      It seems to have overtaken the Modern Warfare fear of terrorism.

12. Golden Pantaloons says:

How big a role do the dinoaurs play in the game? I was kind of hoping for something Monster Hunter-esque only on PC, but it sounds a lot more like a Rust clone with dinosaurs because dinosaurs.

• Haplo says:

You can get away with a lot on the ‘because dinosaurs’ argument, my friend.

13. GunnerMcCaffrey says:

People’s fantasies never have anything to do with the lives they lead, at all. You heard it here first.

14. bill says:

Calling people stupid isn’t very polite.

There is a long history of academics and very smart people relating trends in media/entertainment to current cultural events and fears.

Now, maybe you disagree with all of them and have a good reason to do so, but dismissing all those people out of hand as ‘stupid’ doesn’t make you look very good.

15. bill says:

2 comments. 2 lots of calling people stupid. Really?

Bad day?

16. steviebops says:

On The Forest page, you’re singing it’s praises, are you one of the dev team?