Today On The Bat O’Clock Batnews: Batdelays & Batmobiles

By Alice O'Connor on June 4th, 2014 at 8:00 am.

But I want one!

If I didn’t know better, I’d swear this new Batman: Arkham Knight trailer was attempting to sell toy Batmobiles. Pop and lock the wheels for battle mode! Awesome! Deploy the 60mm cannon! Radical! Actual working missile barrage firing eight foam warheads! No way! Dispense justice with the armor-piercing vulcan cannon! Pow pow pow! And put badguys down for the count with the riot suppressor cannon! Take that, Joker! Yeah! [The two boys high-five.]

No, it’s just to accompany the marketing campaign now starting to show off the Batmobile (see, US Gamer played with it) and to soften the blow of Warner Bros. delaying the game into 2015.

The delay was decided some time ago, and told to press at a Batpreview event in May, but kept under embargo until this week. But why is it being delayed? Publishers WB and developers Rocksteady surely gave a long and detailed explanation and they wanted to be sure every games journo would have time to transcribe and fully comprehend the reasoning, yes?

“Now Batman: Arkham Knight is totally awesome,” Rocksteady marketing man Dax Ginn told Kotaku last month. “The thing about awesome, though, is awesome takes time. And totally awesome takes a lot of time. So in collaboration with our colleagues at Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment and DC Comics, we have decided to extend the development time of Batman: Arkham Knight. Now, the very simple reason for doing this is to ensure we are delivering the awesome level of quality that Batman fans and gamers expect from this, the final episode and the epic conclusion to the Rocksteady Arkham trilogy.”

Oh.

, , , .

1. 2helix4u says:

“Oh bollocks we made arkham city again! Quick find something new and fun to put in it!”

2. ran93r says:

I’m not the biggest fan of the recent Batman games, I like them well enough to buy them but there are certain developers who I’m willing to give a little extra time to and Rocksteady are on that list, if only for the amount of polish they cram in to Gotham.

Half of me wants to think that they are pimping out the open world with more detail, more side missions, perhaps some “press q to hack” stuff, cause we all like that right?

3. demicanadian says:

So, did they patch Arkham Origins already?

• sammysquirrel129 says:

Rocksteady didn’t develop origins, it was warner brothers who did that and then didn’t patch the massive probelms; they just made some DLC instead.

4. Raiyan 1.0 says:

Armor piercing incendiary rounds, 60mm cannon, missile barrage… and then it occurred to them that, shit, Batman doesn’t kill people, throw in some non-lethal riot suppressor!

Fascism on wheels!

Anyway, does the siege mode remind anybody of this?

• Kollega says:

What I’m interested in is how they’re going to stop the player from murdering people if Batmobile comes with armour-piercing incendiary rounds by default. The only way I can think of is limiting “battle mode” to the occassions where you ONLY face down tanks or aircraft. And even then, it still smacks of All-Star Batman and Robin.

EDIT: I actually bothered to read the US Gamer article now, and it explains that yes, apparently that’s exactly how it’s going to be done. It still smacks of ASBAR, though.

• Professor Paul1290 says:

It doesn’t look like it’s meant to be fighting fleshy human beings in the first place, as almost everything on there seems more for doing damage to vehicles and equipment .

Batman doesn’t like killing people, but I don’t think he fights people using his car very often either. From what I’ve seen, when Batman brings a vehicle directly into a fight he’s usually against something that isn’t exactly punch-able.

• jonahcutter says:

Batman is not so a much facist as he is a plutocrat. If forced to choose, I’d think he’d fight to support totalitarianism over a purely democratic society. He is not a man of laws. He is not a man of the people. He is a plutocratic-fantasy of “how-to-fix” society: Brutalize low-level criminals.

He’s an uber-wealthy guy who comes down from his mansion to fight, terrorize and brutally harm street thugs. Does he ever consider that if he truly wanted to help the lives of ordinary citizens, he’d take his considerable wealth, intelligence and will and focus it against out-of-control corporations? Wall Steet, pharma, insurance co’s, petroleum industry, agri, logging… the list goes on. In the pure devastation of families and societies in the sociopathic pursuit of wealth, un/de-regulated corporations regularly make organized crime look like amateurs.

Bruce Wayne is maniacally focused on symptoms, not sources.

But he does have the best rogues’ gallery of any superhero. And an eternally cool costume and gadgets. And he’s not actually super-powered. He’s ordinary flesh-and-blood. With extra-ordinary intelligence and will. He’s a Randian John Galt! His fantasy is an immature, selfish, shallow one. But it is an entertaining one to indulge in.

And the games (especially the first two) are mad fun. Thugs are thugs. They often do deserve a good ass-whoopin. Just don’t think about how Bruce Wayne is basically wasting his incredible gifts and resources fighting symptoms that will reappear as soon as he has left the scene.

Jackablade says:

Rubber armour-piercing, incendiary bullets. Honest.

• Ross Angus says:

Rubber, t-shirt deforming nipples, surely.

• SomeDuder says:

Rubber missiles launched from foam tubes dispensing incapacitating nuke-radiation. It’s non-lethal!

Actually, I’m pretty sure that cars regularly MURDER people, so I’m thinking that Batman is a cold-blooded murderer. And that is a FACT because I posted this on the INTERNET. And YOU read it. And you can’t unread it.

Joshua says:

Super ethical!

6. Philomelle says:

Not to be harsh, but the Tumbler (as they nicknamed the Nolan movies Batmobile) is the ugliest thing to have ever been put on wheels. I’m surprised anyone would think basing another Batman’s vehicle off it would be a good idea.

• ran93r says:

I half remember reading something along the lines of “it’s not based on The Tumbler, we went back and looked at the model we had already created for the original game”.

Still… it looks like the bloody tumbler.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

I liked it.

• DanMan says:

I like the Tumbler, but this looks like an RC sand buggy. Do not like.

• Lemming says:

And that’s ok, because the Bat-mobile doesn’t have to be pretty.

• Philomelle says:

It’s supposed to be intimidating though, which the Tumbler is anything but. It looks like someone saw ED-209 from Robocop and put tires on it, down to the exposed “SHOOT HERE FOR DAMAGES!” hydraulics on the sides, without realizing that ED-209 was intentionally designed to be an embarrassing failure at engineering.

• jonahcutter says:

I liked the Tumbler. And I like the justification for it. Military-designed, river-crossing hardware I think it was.

And I like this one. It actually seems much more like a vehicle a rampaging vigilante with no sense of subtlety or desire for stealth, but not intending to inflict massive collateral damage and likely maim or kill dozens of innocent bystanders, would actually drive around dense city-streets.

At least it’s not the ridiculous, hyper-finned, jet-engined Corvette Stingray of the Burton films. That thing belonged in the 70′s camp TV show.

• Philomelle says:

Amphibious hardware is reliant on hull integrity. Not only is Tumbler’s armor segmented, but its double heat grills are exposed and located near the very bottom of the vehicle, essentially meaning that its internal workings would flood to hell every time it would enter a river. Its justification is pretty much the worst part because its design contradicts its very purpose.

This one fixes the heat grills, but it still has exposed hydraulics and its headlights are set on the wheel shields, meaning they would be smashed every time Batmobile rams something (which, given its armor, it is supposed to do sometimes). Batman is all about efficiency and intimidation, and this thing is neither.

Not to mention that it has both the fins and a massive rocket engine you’re complaining about.

7. benzoate says:

On first glance I saw lights embedded in the front tires and thought finally, someone thought to make the batmobile convert into a disco light machine because we all know the only reason people love the bats is his awesome pride day parade float.

Then I noticed that, sadly, the lights are embedded in between two wheels and was very disappointed.

PS, is there somewhere on the internet where real car engineers/designers critique these imaginary monstrosities? Because, my headlights are my front bumper doesn’t seem like a good idea to me.

8. Sc0r says:

what happened to non lethal?