Rimworld Alpha 4 Adds Wood, Dodges Obvious Jokes

By Ben Barrett on June 4th, 2014 at 11:00 am.

And hard tubes which fire hot liquid, apparently.

Pound the discovery alarm, it’s yet another game I probably should have heard about already. Despite appearances, Rimworld is not a particularly complex Prison Architect mod, but in fact a low-fi space colony sim more along the lines of Maia. To further use comparisons, the characters and events that occur are governed by a Left 4 Dead style AI Director which takes into account your colony’s wealth, health of your survivors and so on to create storylines. To that end, dev Tynan Sylvester dubs them “storytellers” and says the game’s goal is just that – to create interesting experiences, rather than provide a win/loss state. In the latest update video, he outlines the most recent additions to his still-early KickSuccess.

Nothing I love more than a bit of giant centipede death robot action. There have already been numerous additional hotfixes, including a rather important one making sure the storytellers are eventually lethal. Apparently, all good stories end with your death, dear reader. The mod list mentioned in the video can be found here, if you’re already salivating over the possibilities. There’s also that systems video which clocks in at half an hour and the first couple of minutes of which I found about as intelligible as John Carmack’s twitter feed, but it certainly sounded like extremely smart stuff.

Interested? Want more info? The game and a hefty list of details can be found on the main site.

, , .

1. Artist says:

Yay, comes along nicely! Great dev – love it!

2. BTAxis says:

I backed this, and I like what I’ve seen so far. Still, as with everything I’m waiting until it’s done before giving it any serious time.

3. frightlever says:

I wish Gnomoria’s RoboB0b would implement something like an AI director.

I will inevitably own Rimworld but I’m currently addicted to Distant Worlds/Dragons Dogma.

RedViv says:

Gosh I would be so happy if Dragon’s Dogma were to be released for the PC. More people need to have fun like that.

• frightlever says:

Getting a quest, gathering your party, gearing up and setting off on a clear bright morning… an hour or so later, having already braved countless battles under darkening skies, until your party is finally surrounded by the inky black with nothing but the dim glow from your lanterns and the chill gibbering of the nightlings to keep you company, then… well then all there is to do is fight until the light of dawn.

And you haven’t even gotten to the fucking quest yet.

Love this game so much, and I still have so much left to do – been at it for weeks.

• jonahcutter says:

It is damn good. Great at times. But having to fight the seemingly endless respawning wolves while just trying to get somewhere became pretty tedious for me.

I’d love a PC port.

• frightlever says:

In case you’d forgotten, I feel it would be remiss of me to not point out that “Wolves hunt in packs!”

4. dE says:

I’m really appreciating these type of games coming out lately. It’s been another one of those relatively dead genres. And while Prison Architect, Rimworld and similar are cooking, I’m really enjoying Factorio. It starts off a bit deceptive by having you do mundane minecraft’esque tasks. Until you suddenly build robot arms, conveyor belts and maintain a large scale Factory.
    Factorio is all about automation in a hostile environment and it’s absolutely great. Got a demo too.

5. The First Door says:

And what a dangerous demo it is! I went from not understanding why I’d want to play Factorio to wanting it desperately in the space of an hour. When I suddenly realised you could get a coal mining machine to be powered by the coal it is mining, I realised it was a game which was going to suck time away.

Anyway, Rimworld is fantastic and the video about the tech behind the region system he’s implemented really is very interesting if you are interested in programming. It’s has really quite elegant solutions to some tricky problems!

• doodler says:

I can’t even begin to explain why Factorio is so appealing but I can’t stop thinking about it. I’m almost glad I didn’t know about it for its first year of development because there seems to be so much to the tech tree now with the oil patch and they are talking about more…
      I’ve finally gotten to the robots and they change the game so dramatically, and the industrial sprawl has gotten massive, I wish I could just zoom out and set it as a screensaver sometimes…
      The demo shows such a small portion of the tech tree and I didn’t even realize it as I played through it because of the depth.

• dE says:

I thought Factoria had a similar appeal as Space Chem. You’re fiddling with machines and ressources until things just click and work. Everything follows a fixed ruleset. Robot Arms only move in that direction, ressources are dropped off on this side, you need precisely x of y to build z. Things like that. And when these weird machines finally work, it’s a thing of beauty. It’s a bit easier to manage than Spacechem, because you’re not as restricted by a limited playing field.
        As you’re playing, you’re constantly discovering new things and ways to approach problems. You’re struggling with a measly Steamengine at the begining and before long, you’ve got a machine that mines iron, a conveyor belt moves it through your base as robot arms pick up individual ores and melt them. The melted plates are taken out by other robot arms and placed on another conveyor belt. The plates are then shaped into ammo and finally delivered directly towards the automated defense turrets. Excess Bullets are stored in a chest for further use. And while you’re at it, you could also improve transporation within the base and build a better power supply and those two radar dishes could use some company and maybe you can optimize the ressources for that lab, it seems to run dry frequently but that would mean setting up a second mine with another few furnaces and what if it congests later on and where the fuck did the time go… sheesh.

6. jonahcutter says:

I like that he’s pushing in new threats that will break up the defenses. The game is good, but it became pretty easy to create impregnable defenses.

Rimworld has a solid, confident feel to things. Easy to approach, satisfying to play. It’s not super-complex at the moment, but it definitely has a rock-solid foundation to build all sort of complexity on to.