All Aboard The Gut Train: Tormentum Is Gorgeously Gross

By Nathan Grayson on June 4th, 2014 at 10:00 am.

Yes, the game really does look like that.

You ever think about how disgusting just, like, bodies are? All that greasy skin on the outside, all those ceaselessly sloughing organs sloshing around on the inside. We’re so veiny and intricate and beautiful and hideous, each and every one of us. The creators of Tormentum – Dark Sorrow seem to be making an entire world with that in mind, seeing as their game sports a similar sort of fleshy, wrinkly style in places – including places where wrinkly, crawling flesh absolutely should not be. Wanna see a train that looks like a burning tube of 100-year-old skin? Then you’ve come to the right place.

Tormentum seems to be a rather traditional adventure at heart, but man, what a place. Apparently influences range from Demon’s Souls to HR Giger, and it shows. The plot, too, doesn’t seem like anything special at first blush (amnesia! imprisonment! weird dreams!), but the focus of your journey really seems to be on discovering this world. That’s something I can get behind.

Here are the basics:

• Dark adventure from the border of dream and reality
  • Unique, hand-drawn illustrations
  • 3 lands, differing in terms of architecture, weather, and creatures dwelling in them
  • Moral choices which will have an impact on the game’s end
  • A variety of riddles integrated into the game in a form of different locks, traps, gates, etc.
  • Outstanding soundtrack with more than 20 tracks
  • Characters with unique personalities, which will help or try to prevent the hero in reaching his goal
  • Incredible atmosphere
  • Languages: English, Polish
  • 4-6 hours of gameplay

Interested? Tormentum is currently on Indiegogo seeking a fairly modest $9,000. It’s certainly caught my eye, but can it seize your ragged, wheezing heart? Is this a place you want to explore, or at least cower behind a gnarled fleshstump in?

, .

Gap Gen says:

I’ll just leave this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUD7rmHartE

Paraquat says:

“Now, your basic human is between 3 and 25 feet tall, and is made of a hairy, oily goo wrapped in a t-shirt.”

3. Astroth says:

seems nice(mainly because of its style), though I hope its puzzles are more original than the ones in the trailer

• Shuck says:

Yeah, those puzzles look pretty… uninspired, to put it kindly.

4. BillyIII says:

Trailer makes it look very “hidden object”-ish.

• DrMcCoy says:

From the FAQ at the bottom of the Indiegogo page:

Puzzle and Adventure – YES, but Hidden Object – NO. We aren’t big fans of this type of games. :) Generally speaking, expect a gameplay based on using objects on other objects as well as logical mini-games. The game is also going to feature environment exploration, different characters to meet, as well as moral choices.

5. tobecooper says:

The lower tiers seem slightly unexciting for a fund-raising campaign. The game is at $9 which is great but then $20 for your name in the credits and $25 for a wallpaper pack?
    I’m not an avid Kickstarter follower but isn’t it usually the other way around? Like $1 for your name in the credits, $5 for wallpaper pack and $10-$15 for a game?

jrodman says:

There is no possible set of rewards that will not attract criticism.

However, I don’t really understand yours. Are you just surprised?

• tobecooper says:

It caught my attention in context of the campaign going very slowly. It’s either get the game cheaply, or support them fully and pay a lot to get more interesting rewards. No middle ground?

Though, the reason for lack of funds may come from the unexciting puzzle design, as some people mentioned in here, or just from the fact they’re on IndieGoGo and not on Kickstarter?

6. Turkey says:

It’ll be interesting to see if they can pull this necromorphic boner-train into the biomechanical baby tunnel, or if people refuse to open up their exoskeletons and donate sustenance from their pupa sacks swollen with obsidian juice.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I hope enough fleshy folks with funds will favor this fantastic thingy. Personally, I think it puts the goo in good.

• scatterbrainless says:

“Wanna see a train that looks like a burning tube of 100-year-old skin?” Yes! Shut up Freud, sometimes a cigar is just a penis.

7. MrThingy says:

Train reminds me a wee bit of Rodney Matthew’s heavy metal hero.

yhancik says:

Dark Sorrow, just in case you mistook it for a Cheerful Sorrow.

9. Little_Crow says:

Going by that first screenshot It’s like Benoit Sokal and H.R. Giger got together to make Syberia 3.
    When the hybrid of Alien and Oscar the train engineer comes out of that thing Kate Walker is going to have a heart attack.

10. Jabberwocky says:

That is one fine looking game. I hope they pull off the crowd funding.

jezcentral says:

O.M.F.G. Someone is making Bas-lag: The Game.

12. noiseferatu says:

The visual style looks good and while the animations are cheap and wonky, there’s a certain amount of B-grade charm in them.

What I’m not so keen on are sliding-tile puzzles. The horrible voiceovers in that trailer also suggest the story is about ~battle between good and evil~ which tends to end up as meaning you can choose between giving beggars money or being a total jerk, with no interesting moral grays in-between.

(also not too keen on storylines in general that focus on such lofty themes in the first place but eh, that’s video games for you)

As an aside, the bullet point of targeted 4-6 hours of gameplay is a definite selling point for me! Very few games these days are worth any more of my time than that.

13. DThor says:

I like steam and all, it’s the only game delivery system I really use (yes, origin, sitting there with a barely played BF4 on it, I’m looking at you), but I get the impression that if we ever had a look at the code behind it, we would see the most duct-taped, hackneyed spaghetti terror imaginable outside of a Lovecraft story. The most basic process like “hey, my ssd is getting full and I realize skyrim is actually insanely optimized for disk IO so I’d like to move it to a spindle drive, please” becomes a ridiculous two stage process unless you’re happy messing about with your Steam install. It *should* be a one button click, but I’m betting that would cause one of the primaries to blow and now we’ll *never* get off Alien Prime.

14. XhomeB says:

The art seems to be influenced by the work of Zdzisław Beksiński, it’s not only Giger.
    The game LOOKS really great, but I’d expect the puzzle design to actually fit the overall theme they seem to be striving for – instead, all these sliding puzzles or gear placing feels a bit… out of place and generic in such an otherworldly adventure?
    Make every aspect of the game as bizzare as the visuals is what I’m trying to say.

• GameCat says:

From language list you can assume that devs are from Poland, same as Beksiński. So it’s rather obvious that they will draw influences from his works.

15. Becalel says:

So, Beksiński, Bosh and Geiger walk into a bar…

16. TaylanK says:

It’s not often I get to say that something looks like sh*t and not mean it as a criticism: that train looks like sh*t

17. Freud says:

Finally we can use the phrase “Giger would roll around in his grave”.

18. minstrelofmoria says:

Just once in my life, I want to see the entrails-as-extrails aesthetic used for good guys. Even the fire-and-brimstone aesthetic occasionally applies to good guys, but entrails-as-extrails is shorthand for either “these people will kill you unless you kill them first” or “you cannot stop these things from ripping out your soul and torturing it for eternity.” Give me a faction that grows houses out of living meat because they’re so in touch with the rhythms of life, and wears armor made from human bones so that their honored dead can continue to protect the living!