Ex-Xbone-Exclusive: Dead Rising 3 On PC This Summer

By Adam Smith on June 5th, 2014 at 4:34 pm.

Delightful pre-E3 news has just arrived from the Microsoft bunker. The Kinect will be attached to all future versions of Windows 8, which will in turn be attached to every PC in the world through the magic of Cloud-based infiltration. Empty your recycle bin by performing complex semaphore! Attempt to discover the start button by cartwheeling around your front room, or scratching your head and rubbing your tummy at the same time!

That would be horrible. Thankfully it’s a load of old cobblers. The news that has emerged in the form of an excitable trailer is that preposterous zombie smasher Dead Rising 3 is coming to your PC this summer. You already knew that though because of the headline.

This is grand. I hadn’t intended to buy an Xbox One until there were at least three or four exclusives that were desirable enough to justify owning yet another under-the-telly machine. Dead Rising was the first and only game on the list, and I think there’s a very good chance that the console will cost about 50p by the time I feel the need to bite the bullet.

I love Dead Rising because it’s a seriously clever (if occasionally frustrating) piece of design wearing a daft costume, which is precisely how I feel whenever I have to go to a formal function. Given some of the technical issues on the console version, the PC port should be the definitive version.

, , , , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

golem09 says:

What is this Dead Rising you speak of?

– golem09, Germany

2. araczynski says:

great news, hated the gameplay on the x1, looking forward to trying it again on the pc, with some trainer to make the gibs really fly :)

3. BTAxis says:

Staring Mouth.

4. Screamer says:

I knew there was a way to find it!

5. XhomeB says:

What a pleasant surprise, MS allowed that happen? Can’t complain, Quantum Break next, please.

I consider myself a huge fan of Dead Rising 2, I didn’t expect much from it when I bought it, but it turned out to be one of the most fun games I’d played in years. Such a relaxing experience, perfect game for toying around. Love it, love it, love it.

jezcentral says:

I always felt rushed. I would prat about having a lovely time killing zombies with a coffee cup tied to fishing rod, or something, and then be told I had to sprint right across the map, getting to a place just in time to get killed by some mini-boss. I enjoyed the presentation, but never got into the gameplay, which seemed to be aboutkilling the mini-bosses rather than killing the zombies.

• JimboDeany says:

I also hated the implementation of “Real Time”. It seemed at a complete Juxtaposition to the experimenting and crafting that was core to the gameplay.

“Use anything you can find to kill zombies but if you miss a checkpoint you’re fucked!”

• XhomeB says:

I don’t know where the misconception that you’re being “rushed” in any way comes from.
        You don’t HAVE to complete any missions. At all. In fact, on your first couple of playthroughs, you can simply ignore the storyline altogether and dedicate your time to zombie killing and leveling up. It’s entirely up to you. When you finally decide to get down to playing the campaign properly, it’ll actually make your life easier.
        DR2 lasts a few days (in-game time), yes, that’s the game’s structure and the beauty of it. You can’t be everywhere at once, you need to focus on certain missions and long-term goals. Depending on what you do, the endings, the outcome will be different.
        Have you ever watched the movie “Groundhog Day” with Bill Murray and Andie MacDowell? Dead Rising’s gameplay is very similar in a lot of ways.

jezcentral says:

XhomeB, you can miss some missions, true, but there are still missions that you absolutely-must-game-over-if-you-don’t get to. If you don’t get there with a good enough weapon, you are stuck. You have to reload and try again, or even have to start the whole game again from the beginning. This really isn’t a misconception.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

The game breaking dual chainsaws from the clown miniboss in the first Dead Rising. With a combination of durability and damage books you could kill any boss in seconds and they lasted for hundreds of attacks.
            Before I realised that tactic there were tons of dead end situations though.

I played the entirety of DR2 in co-op so I guess it’s kind of cheating but we didn’t run into situations like that at all. Sure we died a lot but the gear was rarely an issue with the main bosses.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Prioritising adds replay value when you have to do things differently each time. In the DR games it’s a necessary feature because it’s designed for the groundhog day replay as you said, but at the same time it’s stressful for a hopeless minmaxers (like me, but I like when games challenge my habits).
          And I hate when they go to far in the other direction, like in Skyrim where I’m almost surprised you can’t be a Werevampirewolf (great game but way to safe on the choice side).

• pleaseletmecomment says:

I felt rushed in Dead Rising 1 to the point where I was baffled about why they ruined such a potentially fun game and got frustrated, but in Dead Rising 2 I felt they got the balance just right and really enjoyed the real-time system, it made things interesting but wasn’t frustrating or overbearing.

J. Cosmo Cohen says:

Quantum Break is the only game I am almost willing to buy a Xbox One for…almost.

• XhomeB says:

Remedy might decide not to create a PC version naturally, but here’s hoping they eventually do port it from xbone.
        Crossing fingers the game turns out to be better than Alan Wake, which had a great premise, but boy, was it one of the most boring and monotonous action games I’ve played – the same encounter design over and over and over again. It was at its best when there was no fighting to speak of.

Now that I think about it, Deadly Premonition… yep, I wish Alan Wake played like Deadly Premonition, only more polished. That game did a much better job at providing that elusive Twin Peaks feeling.

J. Cosmo Cohen says:

I agree about Alan Wake’s combat. But I still think of it as one of my favorite games. I greatly enjoyed the story and atmosphere, which is why I’m hoping Quantum Break is just as incredible.

I also agree about an Alan Wake and Deadly Premonition love-child.

• The_Hunter says:

I bought a 360 for Alan Wake but I won’t buy a xbone for Quantum Break. Here’s hoping…

6. MkMax says:

man, why didn they release THIS trailer during the reveal ? stupid suits and their call of duty

7. Grimley says:

Man, that is one serious titty-twister being dished out in the top image, going by the expression on that poor shmuck’s face.

8. db1331 says:

This is one of those games that when console players point at as something the PC can’t play, I just think, “It looks like complete shit, who cares?” Then they claim it’s just sour grapes. Then it comes to PC, and I still think it looks like complete shit. That shows you, console gamers.

9. MeestaNob says:

Wont be considering this until Capcom do something about fixing the existing Dead Rising games on PC for the upcoming GFWL-apocalypse.