EA Runs Out Of Plugs, Leaks BF Hardline E3 Trailer Itself

By Nathan Grayson on June 6th, 2014 at 10:00 am.

You think you know lines? You think you know their relative structural integrity? Newflash: YOU DON’T KNOW SHIT ABOUT LINES. Battlefield Hardline? That’s where it’s at. Hardest lines in the biz. The business of lines, to be clear. Also it’s about police and robbers, and now – finally, after roughly 167 leaks – EA’s seen fit to release an official trailer. It’s got a release date too: October.

Looks a lot more overtly action-y and high-octane than, say, Payday, but that may well have only been one or two maps. Also, it looked kinda story campaign-y to me. We’ll see.

EA’s still saying very little, obviously clinging to the soaking scraps of a big E3 reveal. However, the trailer does offer one piece of crucial information: Battlefield Hardline will be out in October 21st. Just in time for Hardlineween!

So right, now all that’s left is to find out how the game, you know, actually works. Nothing like triple-A info dripfeeds to–[CHECK BACK ON MONDAY FOR THE REST OF THAT SCATHING COMMENTARY].

, , , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. BobbyDylan says:

Anyone who buys this, I hope you enjoy Micro-transactions, Ruberbanding, Netcode issues, Broken physics and Overcharged DLC.

I’ve learnt me lesson with Battfailed 4.

What’s even more sad is this is essentially just a mod of BF4, something the comunity would have put out itself in the old days. Now, £40 please, for the base game and expect to pay moar!

• int says:

But it’s fields, battles and cops! Who can resist?

• fish99 says:

It was the DLC price that finally made me decide against getting BF4. I’d happily have paid the £25 or so for the game, but not the same again to keep up with the map packs.

• Chuckleluck says:

As a disgruntled BF4 buyer, I can confirm your concerns. I had a blast (didn’t get a lot of the bugs) with the base game and the China Rising DLC I got for preordering. Now everyone’s moved on to the other 2 DLC’s and all the enjoyment has been sucked out.

• Ando says:

I’d have been fine with BF4 if it had been playable. Seems like they might have fixed it now, 8 months after it came out. Not sure I care enough now to go back to it though.

Rizlar says:

Annual release cycle grumble grumble.

• Meusli says:

This is a post I can fully get behind, more of this type of thing.

ps no it is definitely not fixed.

• Casimir's Blake says:

The market for this game is the usual ignorant frat boy bro-step fanatics. They deserve what they get. This trailer was incredibly generic, predictable “hi-octane” action nonsense that we’ve seen a billion times before, only in slightly higher definition. It’s not going on my wishlist. (But then I suppose it’s ridiculous of me to expect more than one decent FPS a year these days. *pats Wolfenstein TNO*)

• toxic avenger says:

Well, aren’t you a special little snowflake!

• Darth Gangrel says:

I don’t know if you’re sarcastic, but from what I’ve read here and other places it’s hardly an unique opinion that Casimir’s Blake is expressing. One could almost call it PC (i.e. politically correct, although PC users might be overrepresented in this), because it’s “cool” to bash EA and Battlefield and to claim that you want something more and/or different. Even if it’s a common opinion, should that stop him saying it? That’s against the laws of internet commenting as well as common sense.

• cpy says:

i learned my lesson with BF3 and SC5. EA never again.

• Shooop says:

That’s what gamers want. The sales say it all.

Even gamers who say they’re sick of all the repetition and ripping off each others’ ideas like the massively hypocritical shitbag Jim Sterling want it. And so that’s what they’ll get. Don’t worry though, they’ll complain about the industry stagnating later though without a single ounce of self-awareness.

• Hydraulic Meercat says:

I began a boycot after BF3 because they never do anything to address hacking, so completely missed out on the BF4 trainwreck. Now there are so many more reasons to avoid this.

2. jyrque says:

WARLINE

Philopoemen says:

Sigh…not one flex-cuff or glowstick in sight – my desire for a SWAT-series successor has been dashed.

• jellydonut says:

Yeah, no, these days our only hope for games like pre-Vegas rainbow six and the SWAT games are indie developers.

• robby5566 says:

What’s that? You want slow, methodical and tactical gameplay?

Sorry bro best I can do is Michael Bay explosives, glorified police brutality and, let me promise you, one good guy who totally surprisingly turns out to have been a bad guy all along.

RobF says:

There is absolutely nothing in that trailer that’s even remotely interesting.

Well done EA, I guess?

• toxic avenger says:

Have you seen the other reveal videos? This video is really bad, even by normo-CoD-like standards. The other trailers, which in reality aren’t really trailers, explain some really cool-seeming concepts that are a departure from the franchise, which needs a little shakeup. It’s not for everyone, granted, but if you are remotely into Battlefield, take a look at the other posts here about it.

Anthile says:

GTEA? HEAT? SWEAT? They don’t let me into the marketing department anymore for a reason.

6. Screamer says:

Meh, maybe 6 months after release when its out of beta…

• BobbyDylan says:

By then the ads for BF5 will be out.

• SIDD says:

> By then the ads for BF5 will be out.

…and the servers for BF4 will be shutting down.

7. Ando says:

Not sure what this has to do with the Battlefield series? It’s not by Dice and doesn’t take place on a battlefield. I might hold out for a Battlefield: Candy Crush. It makes about as much sense.

• BobbyDylan says:

Don’t give them ideas.

Anthile says:

It’s a rather blatant attempt to reel in the GTA and CS crowds while not making the last Battlefield obsolete (again).

• SkittleDiddler says:

I thought DICE were doing the multiplayer portion?

• DanMan says:

They did – it’s called BF4. Apply some new paint, change a few labels here and there. Done.

Bradamantium says:

I am so, so glad that cops and robbers comport themselves with a bit more subtlety and dignity than this game’s high concept would suggest. Otherwise, the liquor store at the end of my street that gets robbed once a month would become a serious liability to the neighborhood. More serious, at least.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

You might want to start packing up before this game give people ideas.

9. SIDD says:

So someone in at EA realised that this trite piece of rehashed shit wouldn’t get much attention at E3 where there’s actual competition and decided to generate a lot of hype by “leaking information” ?!
    I’m fairly confident that someone in the marketing department just made sure they will get their bonus this year.

10. Bull0 says:

I sort of quite liked that trailer, but I still don’t think the game will be much cop. I sort of liked the trailers for Battlefield 4, and it was a pile of crap.

11. Sacarathe says:

Methinks its time to play the Frostbite Need for Speed games.

Personally I would buy this if it means helicopters operating with impunity.

12. BlowMyHorn says:

Jesus Christ…

13. xcession says:

So All the robbing bits of GTAV on the frostbite engine then? That’s all you had to say: “The new game will be called ‘All the robbing bits of GTAV on the frostbite engine'”.

14. Strutter says:

October 21? That’s the day Evolve comes out. If this wasn’t EA I’d be conflicted about which to get.

15. LionsPhil says:

Good ol’ RPS, complaining about the PR trickle while happily serving it regardless.

C’mon. Take a stand. Stop letting little-by-little trailers monopolize front page time until they actually have some game for you to write some about beyond “it has a fragment of a trailer”.

• Radiant says:

STAND UP TO THE TYRANNY

• DanMan says:

Now that you mention it, didn’t they issue something like a “mission statement” that they wouldn’t do exactly this anymore? Hmmm.

• The Random One says:

It’s genuinely strange. John said on a post that this kind of article doesn’t even drawn in a bunch of sweet advertisement moolah, so why bother?

16. Mittens89 says:

CALL OF BATTLEFIELD 67: POLICECOPS.

STARRING:

SERGEANT 2 DAYS ‘TILL RETIREMENT
      CORONER EATING IN MORGUE
      AND KNIFE GANG WITH VERY PREDICTABLE STABBING MOVES

HELL YEAH

HAT DLC RELEASED AFTER HAIRCUT DLC

17. sabasNL says:

I don’t like how they placed it under the Battlefield franchise, but I have to admit very little good cops vs robbers games have come out lately. So I’m curious how it turns out.
    PayDay is just robbers, so that doesn’t count.
    APB (Reloaded)? *sigh* It didn’t live up to it’s expectations at all.
    Only game that had a good cops vs robbers that I can remember is GTA: San Andreas Multiplayer (mod), but that one doesn’t really count either, does it?

On the other hand, EA is pushing it for a release date damn close to Call of Duty. I’m betting my wallet on them announcing Battlefield 2143 / Battlefield Bad Company 3 / Star Wars Battlefront (3) to be released somewhere around that time as well, so they have 2 FPS’es to battle Call of Duty with.
    Since the Battlefield/Battlefront will be done by DICE, and this one is being co-developed by DICE but mainly made by Visceral, I hope both studios have enough time to actually provide us with quality releases, unlike Battlefield 4.

Not to mention most EA releases have been a pain in the ass lately.

18. Tei says:

Battlefield: CounterStrike

I am ok with that :D

19. mi1stormilst says:

I don’t think I have fully enjoyed the BF franchise since BF2. I just jumped in the BF Hardline Beta for about 40 mins…ahh no! I wasted my money on BF3, BF4…no more just no more.