Hidden Himalayas: Far Cry 4

By Adam Smith on June 9th, 2014 at 11:37 pm.

Could have picked a shot with some blood or a gun in it but went for the selfie-shot and what is presumably a look at the vacant expression of the player character

Know what Far Cry needs? A villain so kerrazy that he takes a selfie right after he murders a bunch of people. Thankfully, that’s precisely what the series now has in the shape of the mad despot who takes center stage on the box art and rants and raves his way through the debut trailer above. GTA V was the game to popularise the act of inappropriate post-carnage selfies, I believe, and dare we hope that Far Cry 4 will take the art to the next level? Brave new worlds opening up before us.

Striking that the game is introduced by means of a Vaas-like villain rather than a better view of the mountains themselves. I want to see where I’ll be fighting and climbing towers (OF COURSE THERE WILL BE TOWERS, PROBABLY ANCIENT RUIN TYPE ONES THIS TIME AROUND) rather than having a man demonstrate his oh-so silly sadism.

Enigmatic (incoherent) villains are so in this year though.

Far Cry 4 is out on November 18th (20th for Australia) and I’m hoping that it won’t feel like a reskin. There’s a lot of room for experimentation within these spaces and I still reckon Far Cry 3 was the best example of an UbiQuitous open world kinda thing.

, , , , , .

Clavus says:

Oh, so the player is still going to be an American white guy. Was kinda hoping we’d play someone native to the land this time, seeing that first teaser image.

maicus says:

Yeah, I always got a weird imperialistic vibe playing the last game. The weird pick’n'mix of pacifica culture also made me quite uncomfortable – I don’t know how much research was done, but it got downright offensive in some places. I’m sure shrines are tapu, and violating them to steal offerings is… not amazing.

Kinda worried that, not being familiar with the setting, Far Cry 4 will give the Himalayas the exact same treatment, but it’ll just be harder for me to spot. Which is a little concerning.

• Jigowatt says:

From the new gameplay walkthrough video: “You step into the shoes of Ajay Ghale, who is returning to the country of his birth” (apparently to fulfil his mother’s dying wish). Judging by that quick shot of him on the phone screen, it’s at least possible Ajay might be half Asian? But I agree, they could have done so much more with the character.

maninahat says:

This was exactly the kind of thing I was asking for in the wake of the previous far cry. The whole thing feelsr like it is aiming for a subversion of the previous title: less American cornbread being the mighty whitey, more the local guy taking up the reins against a guy who acts like a stereotype mighty whitey. The whole thing kind of reminds me of Prey, in which the game can get way with incorporating hokey stereotypes of native Americans by providing commentary from the perspective of a non-stereotype, down to earth Native American.

• BobbyDylan says:

To be fair, American White guys is who this game is aimed at. Allowing the target audience to closely identify with their avatar makes sense. I agree, it is a bit stale though.

• kevinspell says:

I pity anyone who managed to identify him self with that badly written douche in FarCry 3.

dahauns says:

Weell, they DID aim for the COD crowd, didn’t they?

• Tellus says:

Jason BROdy (you can’t make this shit up) almost killed Far cry 3 for me. And I love the genre, but does it HAVE to be so moronic and unimaginative?

I hope Far Cry 4 is less ridiculous.

• kevinspell says:

Well I guess you can’t… :)

I just ignored the story after initial non-stop whinging about blood, guns and killing people while at the same time you were basically playing a decent Rambo (2 or 3) game.

Ubisoft really needs to put some work in their main characters. I would rather be a mute than an unrelatable douchbag. Because, among other things, Watch underscore Dogs has the same problem.

• Shodex says:

Far Cry 3 and likely 4 focus a lot around the idea of you being in a whole new culture. Adapting and learning how to live in this new environment was part of Far Cry 3.

Who better to cast as an outsider that’s completely ignorant of another culture’s lifestyle than a white guy?

2. derekbob says:

This game needs Ziggy’s Mod so you don’t have to sit through the lobotomy they call the main quest

Gap Gen says:

I like how he was all like HI I’M THE BAD GUY, HERE’S MY HELICOPTER

• Turkey says:

I just flew in from the cliche bad guy warehouse, and boy are my rotors tired.

4. noclip says:

That line about “a party waiting for you” smacks of that self-aware, fourth wall-breaking games-about-games silliness I thought we’d gotten past.

• shadybearfaced says:

I couldn’t agree more. Spec Ops: The Line did it splendidly, we don’t want or need another game-about-games. How about using that self-awareness to actually create a compelling and somewhat original storyline?

• gunny1993 says:

Far Cry 3 had 1 interesting character, lets not give their writers a migraine by suggesting that sometimes a decent plot is required as well.

1 interesting character is better than we get most of the time anyway.

• shadybearfaced says:

Honestly, I don’t really get what everyone liked so much about Vass. I mean, I guess in terms of video game storytelling, he was sort of unique and interesting. He just seemed like a typical crazy-guy antagonist.

Maybe I was just sick of him from all the marketing material by the time I finally played FC3. Or maybe I’m just really, really jaded.

5. Eight Rooks says:

Yep, looking more and more like I’ll be giving this instalment a miss. Far Cry 3 was mediocre at best, but at least Michael Mando could act, unlike this poor idiot. I was begging for that soldier to yell “Oh for crying out loud just shoot me, you jabbering, pitiful, wannabe-Eurotrash prick” – absolutely dreadful IS THIS HOW BAD PEOPLE TALK piece of writing there. Sure, it looks pretty, but so did Far Cry 3, and that remains one of the most boring open-world games I’ve ever had the misfortune of playing.

• MykulJaxin says:

Oh no, that’s just because “You didn’t understand the writing.” It’s not the writer, it’s us as an audience. Don’t forget what we learned from Far Cry 3!

• LennyLeonardo says:

Some people did understand it.

• shadybearfaced says:

I’m pretty sure he’s making fun of the writer of FarCry 3 from the RPS interview, who basically said exactly that.

6. Michael Fogg says:

The trailer is MIA?

7. bill says:

Trailer??? Where art thou?

In the absence of any trailer or knowing anything, I’ll just say that the Himalayas or backpacking places make a nice change of location from the usual videogame settings. More things like that please.

DarkLiberator says:

Lovely scenery at least.

9. Shooop says:

Just give me the sequel/follow-up to Blood Dragon instead. Now that was a video game.

10. Orija says:

Kinda dislike the fact they are using immigrant Indians to voice the ethnic Gurkhas of Nepal in the game. Doesn’t really sit right with me, especially with the historical friction between Indians and Nepalis, though I doubt most people will care or notice.

• karthink says:

Ugh. This trailer made me uncomfortable, for this reason. Not only are they speaking Hindi instead of Nepali, the Indian accents are terrible too.

• babajikibooti says:

Himalayas are in India too, you know? And it’s normal for a guy from Patna to speak Hindi. I am pretty sure they used ABCDs (American Born Confused Desi) for these voiceovers hence the retarded accent.

• Ravenholme says:

Its not set in Nepal though? It’s some fictional Himalayan country more akin to the Indian parts of the Himalayas.

11. bill says:

Without sound (at work) it looked rather silly.

Why did that soldier just stand there waiting for the crazy bad guy to stab him? Hasn’t he seen any movies ever? Actually, why would anyone ever follow this kind of unpredictable boss? I’d imagine those soldiers would just shoot him and then do things in a more logical manner.

12. gunny1993 says:

hehe, this guy is like a mishmash of every bond villain ever cast, well it may not be as good as vaas but at least a ridiculous villain is always entertaining.

13. altum videtur says:

Ubisoft are utterly incapable of treating their players as anything other than functionally retarded. Their tutorials are outright offensive, as are their plots. Nevermind their petty and pathetic justification-mania where you can murder 23454 completely innocent city guards but stay the fuck away from that minstrel. Bad Ezio. Bad. Shoo. GET THE FUCK BACK IN YOUR HOUSE THAT IS NOT MORALITY OF US
    Oye. And Far Cry 3 felt a bit like a limitles stream of acid piss directed towards wherever the fuck the feeling part of my brain is supposed to be. Blood Dragon was little redemption.
    So I eagerly await the internet critics criticizing the blatant imperialistic chucklefuckery on display in this installation. Which is inevitable. And they will be correct.
    Not that it matters. Ubisoft will be successful as sure as the sun rises because brand awareness.

14. Freud says:

Gender stereotypes for hero and villain. Hope there are boobs in the game.

15. Myrdinn says:

So they reskinned everything to look Nepalese now, including Vaan. Will probably be a fun game but probably not as exciting as FC3.

Chaz says:

Bad guy looks like Gok Wan with an attitude problem.

17. BlackAlpha says:

Oh wow… That was very stereotypical and very bland. I hope there won’t be too much of that in the final game. I really enjoyed Far Cry 3 but mainly due to the characters/story. It made the whole thing very immersive.

I understand the need to try to copy Vaas, nothing wrong with that. But his psychotic actions were never THAT over the top, and from the point of view of the player, his actions seemed appropriate to the situation at hand. The setting in that game was a homebase for criminals who rob people and take tourists hostage, but you never saw them physically turn on each other for no reason like you see in this video. Sure, Vaas played mind games and sometimes murdered people, but that seemed still plausible due to the setting and context. The whole thing seemed plausible. That made Vaas’ character seem real.

This new guy, however, just seems really random. Like they needed to add an ultra psychotic villain for the sake of having an ultra psychotic villain. This sort of stuff would work in a game like Borderlands because that game is about comedy, but a game like Far Cry has a more serious tone and so this new guy just seems out of place. The main offender is that they make him do this very stereotypical 80s movie thing where the boss brutally murders one of his own men for NO REASON, other than to demonstrate to the viewer that the boss is a bad guy. The soldiers completed their mission successfully. They stopped the bus, they got the target unharmed, and neutralized the enemy in the process. There’s NO REASON to kill them, especially not in such a way, other than to demonstrate how psychotic the new villain is. A person with power would never do such a thing, because such actions would push his people away from him, or maybe even turn his own soldiers against him, then somebody ambitious would kill him with the support of the soldiers and take his place. So that’s why a boss like that would use psychology and words to make excuses, hide his evil actions, while keeping his people loyal. Like for example, saying the soldier broke some random rule, immediately arrest and put him in jail, and maybe then kill him in secret. But instead we see this random, over the top, blood frenzy that makes no sense. That makes the whole thing seem poor and badly written.

/rant

I just hope the final game will be up to higher standards.

• TechnicalBen says:

Yep. So many times people try to defend games and movies with “it’s just a movie/game, just watch it”. But I find it so distracting when the story is equivalent to putting words randomly on the page, just as random flashing lights don’t make for good movies.

When characters make even less sense, it’s worse. Most games/movies do show people fighting/working against crazy actions, or falling for the tricks of the crazy pretending to be sane. Those that don’t tend to be B-movies. :P

• Arglebargle says:

Bad writing Sucks!

Sadly, with a lot of games, the bottom end of mediocre is the best you can hope for. They seem to be taking their model from Hollywood these days.

• JimboDeany says:

Believable characters in fantastical settings. This is one of the key things to writing. I try to explain this to my GF when she’s watching soaps that the reason I hate them with a passion is that they do it the other way round and I just can’t buy into it then.

• PopeRatzo says:

Far Cry 3′s writing was awful, unlike the very well-written Hotline: Miami or XCOM:Enemy Unknown which made it to everybody’s top ten lists.

• hungrycookpot says:

Don’t forget Halo, the perfectly realistic story about a totally relate-able genetically engineered super soldier fighting a completely empathizeable alien horde whose motivations are so close to our own on a familiar, almost homesickness inducing planetary scale ring world.

18. ngockonvang says:

post thank you much, very good article I need it Thanks for all the information viet.that your very good for me, I truly appreciate all of the information and comments on blog will definitely start looking out for those who are using automated programs to make blog posts comments
    birds
    friv 2

• phelix says:

Is this it? Have the bots become self-aware?

• JFS says:

They have. And not with a bang, but with a whimper.

• Turkey says:

Haha. Great pun thread. Hey how would you guys like to make $23000 a month by doing nothing?

• Lanfranc says:

Hey, my grandmother’s best friend’s cousin did that!

• Shodex says:

That’s my favourite part about those comments. It’s never “I know somebody who…” or even “I make $23000 a month doing nothing!” it’s ridiculous shit like “The best friend of my great-uncle’s co-worker’s granddaughter makes…”

• Shodex says:

This comment is a work of art. I couldn’t help but give it’s link a click.

19. Screamer says:

You mean It might actually look like the Far Cry 3 they showed at last E3?

20. unimural says:

A good use for Kinect would be to superimpose a photo of the actual physical player into all the selfies. And automatically upload the images to hot or not. If that still exists.

cpt_freakout says:

The “satirical” Western white guy fantasy about the third world saw its terrible, stupid limits in FC3, so there’s no point in doing what seems like the exact same thing once again. It just reinforces what it is supposedly trying to mock, and mocks what it’s supposedly trying to bring to consciousness, like Orija and karthink said above about the Nepalese voice-overs. How about doing some research, for once? Nah, who needs historians, sociologists, philosophers or political scientists when you have good ol’ literary tropes such as the INCREDIBLY BAD VERY VERY BAD VILLAINOUS VILLAIN? HE CARES MORE ABOUT SHOES THAN PEOPLE (GASP!!)

• Shodex says:

It’s not set in Nepal though.

• hungrycookpot says:

It’s a made up game about a made up person in a made up place. Why is RPS so racist? Why does his skin color have any bearing on him as a person? Why all the hate?

22. qrter says:

I sometimes have to remind myself that RPS once made Far Cry 3 their no 1 game of the year. That really happened.

• Alec Meer says:

Not in my name :(

• Darth Gangrel says:

Oh no! RPS is found guilty of liking a game that lots of other critics liked (88 on metacritic based on 43 reviews). How horrible! Perhaps a game is more than the sum of its parts and that some great features makes up for bad writing and other bad stuff.

• Shodex says:

The “bad writing” was still miles better than any of the other crud that passed itself for an FPS last year.

• TheGameSquid says:

To be fair, he never said he didn’t like it because of the writing. I myself found it to be a very, very boring and infuriating game that neither satisfied as an FPS nor as a open-world game (unless you enjoy endlessly chasing waypoints) However, I realize I’m a minority here and that most people found it to be a very fun game.

• Shodex says:

Except it was a good game.
      No, no sorry. I have to be cynical.

Grr, fun is overrated!

23. KenTWOu says:

Who cares? Far Cry 4 gameplay rocks.

24. bosseye says:

Will I be able to machine gun an elephant? The green crosshair over said pachyderm perhaps implies that no, I won’t be able to machine gun an elephant. I machine gunned my way through all manner of endangered wildlife in FC3 and then wore their skins as hats, wallets and rucksacks. I demand, for the sake of equality, that I will be able to make waste paper baskets from elephant feet to furnish my Himalayan hide away. Otherwise, NO SALE.

25. TheGameSquid says:

If this game is structurally the same as FC3 I won’t even think about buying it even for 5$. The gunplay in FC3 was ok for the first 3 hours or so, but the mindblowingly boring story, idiotic missions and mission strucutre, tireless grinding and the never-ending need to travel across the entire island to the next mission just drove me close to insanity near the end. FC2 had a lot of those problems as well, but that it always seemed like a better action game to me (but perhaps I just made that up). And am I the only one sick of these “crazy” villains that ALWAYS end up A) shooting the natives and B) shooting their own soldiers. All of that is witnessed, of course, by you in first person. Grrrr.

One thing I do like is the change of scenery. The Himalayan landscape does look exceptionally good!

neofit says:

“Know what Far Cry needs? A villain so kerrazy that he takes a selfie right after he murders a bunch of people.”
    Nah. What Farcry needs is a proper save system. The rest is irrelevant.