Meching Your Mind Up: Five New Minutes Of Brigador

By Graham Smith on June 9th, 2014 at 10:00 am.

We previously covered Brigador when it was called Matador, and while the name has changed the subject remains the same: mech combat in a dark, futuristic world. Its isometric perspective and dimly lit city streets make it look a touch like Syndicate, but the destructive potential of its stompy bots mean that it plays like something else. There’s a new five-minute long video below showing off a few of its different playable mechs.

At the start of each game of Brigador, you pick your mech, your pilot, and your defensive and offensive capabilities. There are a few different kinds of vehicle featured in the video above, and while it’s clearly less powerful, I’m particularly fond of the nippy motorbike-style machine near the end of the video. The scenery destruction is such that you can use a laser to carve routes through seemingly any part of the world, and it looks fun to mislead the AI in one direction while you speed round the back and make yourself a new entrance.

Mainly though, it’s the style that makes (mechs) me excited. I wish I wasn’t so easily manipulated by a nighttime cityscape, but I am, and both the music and writing are similarly evocative. “Great Leader is dead. You have one night to liberate Solo Nobre. By any means necessary,” started the original trailer.

The game has already been Greenlit, amd there’s more information available at the Brigador site.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Jasharin says:

The music is fantastic. Reminds me a bit of Hotline Miami, which is definitely a good thing.

Hanban says:

Not sure why, but I used to think this would be a turn-based strategy game. :(

3. Muzman says:

The trailer music has a sort of late ’70s, early 80s ominous Escape from New York vibe, but this clip is all Hall and Oats.
    They should splash around some (more) electric blue and pink neon and call it Miami Vice Mechs.

4. ratache says:

Syndicate, with legs!

5. Niko says:

I like that you can control a walker-mech or a tank-mech or a car-mech. Kinda reminds of Nether Earth.

6. CookPassBabtridge says:

Now I have ABBA in my head.
    Their songs I mean, not the individual band members

7. hamilcarp says:

Are the levels randomly generated?

8. jellydonut says:

People keep comparing this to Syndicate but’s really way more like Desert Strike

and I loved Desert Strike.

• Bfox says:

I am surprised no one mentioned “Bedlam” by GT Interactive

Dare_Wreck says:

It’s actually seems more like Future Cop LAPD, which was a spiritual successor to the Strike series.

9. The Random One says:

Anyone knows why the name was changed, and whether Brigador actually is a Spanish word?

• Phasma Felis says:

Edit: My source was incorrect. Check out Wake’s answer below.

10. wake says:

@Jasharin – thanks! Most of the soundtrack is being done by Makeup & Vanity Set, who’s been a blast to work with so far.

@Hanban – the original design was for an RTS of all things, but that changed during development. Also, we didn’t do the best job of clearly explaining exactly what kind of game Brigador is. If we do well on this though, there are members of the team (myself included) who’d love to have a go at building a turn based game down the line. Who knows.

@Muzman – Careful what you wish for; the new environment we’re adding currently is a neon funhouse. Plus, we love Jan Hammer’s music. Anyone not familiar should just listen to Crockett’s Theme. All the music is going to have a synth element to it, but we’re going for a much broader sound than just dark and gritty. John Carpenter’s compositions / the Escape from New York OST are obviously major influences, but so are Akira, GitS, Jan Hammer… besides, everyone should have a little Hall & Oates now and then.

@hamilcarp – the levels are all pre-authored but the enemy strengths and spawn locations change from run to run.

@jellydonut & @Bfox – none of us had even heard of either game until the first trailer went out, so it’s been cool to find out about older titles that share some connective tissue.

@The Random One – we changed the name to avoid a potential TM issue, and because Brigador is a more unique name with better search engine optimization. And the word ‘brigador’ is Portuguese for ‘fighter’.

• The Random One says:

Thanks for taking the time to actually reply! (And I was gonna say, no it isn’t, but maybe it’s a word used only in Portugal. Or on Northern Brazil. Maybe Angola? Not where I live, though.)

• wake says:

We have some Brazilian friends who culture checked it for us. Apparently it’s an uncommon word, but is in fact a word. Also doesn’t secretly mean something terrible. Or at least it isn’t supposed to– hopefully our friends aren’t just trolling us… O_o

• hamilcarp says:

Thanks for replying. The music is fantastic and the visuals are just my cuppa tea.

• Ex Lion Tamer says:

Makeup and Vanity Set are excellent – great choice. (Stumbled onto them via 88:88 when it came out a couple years back.)

I look forward to getting my hands on this.

Malibu Stacey says:

You had me at “mech combat in a dark, futuristic world”.

Buying this so hard when it’s released.

• wake says:

Hooray! Btw, we’re not doing early access but the game is currently up for preorder (25% off) via our website and the Humble Store, if you’re the preordering type (totally get it if you’re not, I’ve been burned too). The game will be downloadable DRM free via the Humble Store but all purchases also include a steam key as well.