Batman: Arkham Knight’s Batmobile Looks Really Fun

By Alice O'Connor on June 10th, 2014 at 2:00 pm.

And where is the Batman? He's at home! Polishing his hubcaps!

Pootling around Gotham City in the Batmobile on a sunny Sunday afternoon certainly sounds pleasant, but what the dickens is Batman doing in Arkham Knight that he needs that all that firepower? Battling tanks in the streets for some baffling reason, a five-minute gameplay trailer out of E3 shows. But look, I won’t harp on that because oh my giddy aunt the game looks gorgeous as he swoops above the city and screeches through its streets. It’s the Batexperience I Batdreamed of.

You know what, nuts to the story! Blow the tank battles! Cram the combat with walnuts, ugly! Give me those streets, those skies, and that horrible beautiful glowing dirty city and I’ll be happy. It’s exactly what I asked for. I want to swing from skytrains, scale skyscrapers, and plough through parks with a considerable degree of disrespect for public property.

Though I myself do not even litter, I was delighted to see the Batmobile plough through stone stairs and planters in a park. The Batmobile is horrible overkill and overcompensation on wheels, roaring angst, not a car that gets snagged on corners or stuck trying to do a three-point turn. I’m sure he’ll donate money to build a whole new park anyway. Like that’ll bring it back. Or them. See a psychiatrist, you big baby. And no, punching the Scarecrow’s teeth in doesn’t count.

, , , .

1. BreadBitten says:

A sharp pang of Saints Row hit me on my side watching the Bat tank do it’s thing.

2. Raiyan 1.0 says:

… it’s a car that strafes. Huh.

• RaoulDuke says:

Everything in the this video looked great to me apart from the Batmobile-Strafing, it looks too manoeuvrable and seems easy to destroy the enemies vehicles so I fear extended & boring battles in bat-strafe mode.

On the other hand I hear some Riddler challenges are bat-car based so that should be great hopefully.

• Solidstate89 says:

You ever see Mecanum wheels?

• RaoulDuke says:

Excellent! I thank you for bringing this interesting wiki page/concept to my attention.

Although, I wasn’t really getting at the technological feasibility of the Batmobile being able to strafe that fast, I just think it looks too easy/boring/out of place.

3. Talahar says:

My first reaction was: That’s not Oracle’s voice, who is that talking to him…… :(
    Hope that’s just for the trailer, or they’ll explain who’s that supposed to be….
    As for the rest, looks decent, but why does Batman really needs his Mobile all of a sudden?
    in closing: http://cdn.themetapicture.com/media/funny-Batman-cartoon-Robin-mobile.jpg

Dare_Wreck says:

Er, what? Why can’t it just be a new voice actor playing Oracle? Why do you automatically assume it’s some unexplained new character?

4. zachforrest says:

Driving around making a mess looked fun…but when it starts crabbing around firing missiles…

5. Groove says:

That is an exciting amount of prettiness, I’ll love if the city really is as open as the view from that tower suggests. The only worry I have is if the car/tank parts are mandatory. They look pretty great at this point, but while I’m excited to have the option I’m filled with a certain amount of dread at the idea of having to frequently drive a tank in what is really a stealth game.

6. Lemming says:

I’m sorry but am I the only one that was disappointed it went into pew pew tank combat? That shit is old and not Batman-like at all.

aleander says:

Urgh, I agree. Batmobile, sure, but I think someone should realize something’s wrong when they have to declare the evil tanks to be unmanned drones.

• Volcanu says:

I was going to comment on how silly it is to have huge lumbering tanks controlled by drones, when half the need for the extensive armour and the size of the vehicle etc is from the need to accomodate a crew and that really you’d design something faster and with a lower profile if it was ‘drone’ controlled.

But then I realised I was essentially pulling up a game about being a billionaire crime fighter who dresses up as a bat for not being ‘plausible’………

• Lemming says:

It brought back memories of every ill-conceived vehicle/tank section in games that had no business having one. The game-play looked identical to every single one. It was like ‘oh, it’s Quake 4!”

Jackablade says:

Rocksteady Design meeting:
    “Ok we’re shipping this on the next gen consoles so we need to come up with ways to make everything look like we spent loads of money on it. What do people remember about the batsuit from the movies?”
    “Bat nipples?”
    “Right, everyone remembers the bat nipples, they’re, like, iconic or something. So how do we go bigger and more expensive looking than bat nipples?”
    “Mechanized bat nipples!”
    “What if they rippled?”
    “Rippling mechanized bat nipples it is. Let’s go to the pub”

LTK says:

It could be simpler. They could just have said “You know what’s great? Iron Man. Batman needs to be more like him.”

DarkLiberator says:

I’ve always found it strange that batman doesn’t use any guns or kills people supposedly, but his vehicle is armed to the teeth.

• Volcanu says:

True….which means we are always treated to faintly ridiculous scenes of him carefully shooting out tyres, or blowing up obstacles rather than them doing what military grade weapons generally do and killing people. Perhaps the next Batman movie will change this and we’ll get to see him popping off at the bad guys during rush hour, who knows maybe they’ll go full on realism and have him missing his intended target and accidentally raking a school bus with high calibre rounds…..

Jackablade says:

I kinda wish they’d gone the amusingly silly Dark Knight Returns route of filling the high calibre machine guns with rubber bullets.

• Solidstate89 says:

Oh man, that was hilarious. I remember for a good few minutes there I was watching him shoot just dozens of gang members and thinking to myself; “No…no…he can’t actually be shooting them with bullets, is he?”

• Lemming says:

The bat-mobile was always coolest when it was just damn hard to destroy or break into. It’s always been an escape/defensive tool when it’s not getting Batman from A to B. Counter-measures, rubber bullets, EMP or shock-deterrents, fine. But chain-guns and tank turrets? C’mon. That’s more Jean Paul Valley’s Batman than Bruce Wayne’s.

9. Kefren says:

I don’t remember batman flying around like that in the comics I read. And without a propulsion system there’d need to be a massive drag to stop a heavily armoured man just crunching through the ground, let alone swooping around.

• KevinLew says:

If you’re complaining about the Arkham glide system, then you’re about two years too late. They’ve been using it since Arkham City.

Besides, I think that anybody can agree that no video game is truly realistic, and the stuff that Batman does in any of these games is intentionally over-the-top. You can attach high explosives directly to a bad guy, or jump off a building and use an enemy as a cushion, and none of these moves kill anyone.

10. fish99 says:

Looked great ….. until tank mode. I hope it’s used as sparingly as possible because it doesn’t fit.

LTK says:

“That Batman thinks he’s so clever. Beating the shit out of our guys but never actually doing lethal damage. Well, we’re gonna show ‘im. Let’s see him try and punch a tank, bet he can’t take down one of those without killing the driver!”

“Man, that’s no fair to the guy, why don’t we control the tanks remotely so the bat can blow ‘em up nicely? That’ll be way more interesting!”

“Eh, guess that’s fine too.”

12. Nibblet says:

Had someone told me yesterday they were guano turn the next batman into a tank vs tank thingy i would have thought them completely batshit. What a batty direction to take the series.

13. DrollRemark says:

Still no civilians? That’s a real shame. I’d rather have a more living Gotham than everyone out to kill Batman again.

• Syphus says:

I thought a saw a few cars. But man, if I lived in Gotham I sure as hell would never go outside.

• kud13 says:

You just have to accept that in Gotham, unless you happen to be a named character, there’s only 2 occupations-you’re either a goon, whose one moment in the spotlight is when you face off a superhero, or you’re a victim, and your one moment of glory is when you get to yell for help to a superhero passing by.

14. Nenjin says:

I’ll just echo the crowd: Batmans gud. Strafing Battank: stupids.

15. jonahcutter says:

Well… Here I was happy Rocksteady was back in control of Batman and what do we get? Tank battles…

The game looks beautiful visually. But damn that bat-tank stuff looks like something out of Saints Row. But at least in SR there is the intent of absurdity. Here it just seems so out of place and uninspired.

I really wish they would of taken those development resources and built a good crime-solving system. Origins’ system was visually appealing, but required zero thought. I would of loved to see this game give us something actually involving.

Maybe I’m wrong and I’ll change my tune once playing it, but bat-tank fights against drone tanks just seem dumb and boring.

I also don’t like the mechanization of his suit. Who built that thing for him, a crossover Tony Stark?

16. 1190IANFORMOFJOHN says:

I HAVE ONE PROBLEM NOW IF YA’LL SPECIFICALLY TALKING ABOUT ROCKSTEADY AND WARNER BROS. OFFICIALLY TOLD US THAT BATMAN ARKHAM KNIGHT WHICH IS OBVIOUSLY ONLY FOR THE PS4 (PLAYSTATION 4) THE RELEASE DATE WILL BE OCTOBER 14, 2014 AND THEN YA’LL INFORM US THAT THE GAME WILL BE DELAYED UNTIL 2015 AND YA’LL ALREADY OR ALMOST DONE MAKING ADJUSTMENTS AND ENHANCEMENTS TO THE GAME THEN MY QUESTION IS WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF PEOPLE TO WAIT UNTIL OCTOBER OF 2015? YA’LL MINE AS WELL HAVE A RELEASE DATE FOR JANUARY!!!!!!

17. 1190IANFORMOFJOHN says:

DO YA’LL KNOW HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE DISAPPOINTED PEOPLE OF ROCKSTEADY AND WARNER BROS. THAT THEY REALLY WERE ATWITTER THAT YA’LL TOLD ALL OF US AS A WHOLE THAT THE GAME WILL BE RELEASED ON OCTOBER 14, 2014 AS WELL ORGANIZED, THOUGHT ABOUT, AND AS GREAT AS THE NEW FEATURES, GRAPHICS, AND CAMERAS IS. NOW WE ALL HAVE TO HEAR THAT THE GAME THAT WE LOVE BECAUSE IT IS FAVORED BY A SUPERHERO THAT EVERY SINGLE CHILD LOOKS UP TO, WANT TO BE, AND LIKES ALOT DUE TO THE FACT THAT HE WANTS TO DEFEND GOTHAM FROM EVIL VILLAINS AND THEIR HENCHMAN; I FEEL BAD FOR THOSE THAT COULDN’T WAIT TO SEE THE GAME COME TO FLUITION. HONESTLY, I WANTED TO SEE THE GAME AS WELL BUT I KNOW ALL OF YA’LL ARE DISAPPOINTED AND THAVE THOUGHT THAT ROCKSTEADY AND WARNER BROS. LET YA’LL DOWN BUT IF I AM YA’LL I WOULD MAINTAIN MY COMPOSURE AND BE OPTIMISTIC. DON’T WORRY I WILL KEEP ON POSTING COMMENTS TO FORCE ROCKSTEADY AND WARNER BROS TO RELEASE THE GAME IN JANUARY 2015!!!!!!!!!!! LIKE YA’LL SAY ABOUT CRIMINALS “ROCKSTEADY AND WARNER BROS SAVED THE GOVERNMENT AND US ALOT OF MONEY FOR SURE!!!!!!!!!!!

18. 1190IANFORMOFJOHN says:

IF ANY BATMAN ARKHAM KNIGHT FAN IS LISTENING, EVERYONE THAT WANTS TO PLAY THE GAME FOR THE FIRST TIME, GET ON MY BANDWAGON BECAUSE LIKE IT SAYS IN THE BIBLE FROM PHILLIPIANS 4:13 I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO STRENGTHENETH ME AND PROVERBS 54: 17 NO WEAPONS FORMED AGAINST THEE SHALL PROSPER AND EVERY TONGUE THAT SHALL RISE AGAINST THEE IN JUDGMENT THOU SHALT CONDEMN; ONE MORE SCRIPTURE ROMANS 8: 28 AND WE KNOW THAT ALL THINGS WORK TOGETHER FOR GOOD TO THEM THAT LOVE GOD, TO THEM WHO ARE THE CALLED ACCORDING TO HIS PURPOSE AND VERSE 37 NAY, IN ALL THESE THINGS WE ARE MORE THAN CONQUERORS THROUGH HIM THAT LOVED US. POINT BEING, I WANT YA’LL TO RALLY TOGETHER UNITE AS ONE WITH ME AND PUSH FOR THIS GAME TO BE RELEASED IN JANUARY OR FEBRUARY 2015!!!!!!!! (PLEASE IF WE CAN WORK TOGETHER THEY MIGHT THINK ABOUT RELEASING THIS GAME IN JANUARY OR FEBRUARY 2015)

19. 1190IANFORMOFJOHN says:

ONE OF MY YOUNGEST COUSINS LOVE BATMAN, SUPERMAN, SPIDER-MAN, POWER RANGERS AS WELL AS ME AND MY OLDEST COUSIN OUT OF THE TRIO. I KNOW YA’LL DO TO SO JUST LOOK ON YOUTUBE AND TYPE IN BATMAN ARKHAM KNIGHT OFFICIAL TRAILER “FATHER TO SON”, E3 2014 BATMAN ARKHAM KNIGHT GAMEPLAY TRAILER, BATMAN ARKHAM KNIGHT BATMOBILE TRAILER OR BATMAN ARKHAM KNIGHT BATMOBILE AND NEW VILLAIN TRAILER, ETC. ONCE YA’LL WATCH IT YA’LL WILL SAY WELL THIS PERSON TOLD US SO ALSO, THE GRAPHICS ARE GOOD, THE CAMERAS WERE ENHANCED, AND THEY HAVE MUCH MORE VILLAINS IN THE GAME THAN WE EXPECTED!!!!!!!!!

20. MkMax says:

how probable is that the joker is hiding behind that mask at the end ? 99% ?