CUPHEAD in CUPHEAD’S AMAZING E3 TRAILER ADVENTURE

By Alec Meer on June 10th, 2014 at 5:30 pm.

CUPHEAD

CUPHEAD. Just to say its name is to feel unbridled joy. CUPHEAD!

CUPHEAD

CUPHEAD

CUPHEAD!

Whether or not I’ll play this bouncy-shooty thing is a question for another day, but boy-oh-boy, I could watch these Fleischeresque trailers for ever. It’s been the talk of sekrit RPS chatroom town all day, and tussles with No Man’s Sky for most Cor Blimey trailer to come out of E3 yet.

We have seen Cuphead previously, and it impressed us then, but it seems to have come along a ton since, really nailing its early animation aesthetic now. Between this and UbiArt (and also Double Fine’s Broken Age), it’s become a wonderful new age for 2D, cartoon-style games. The artist is going to have so much power now.

Incidentally – and hey, actual information rather than my just repeating the same capitalised word – Cuphead was made in Unity. Sometimes I think I can recognise a Unity game a mile off, but this just goes to show how diverse and surprising the little engine that could is these days.

CUPHEAD

Sorry.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Raiyan 1.0 says:

This cup has wrung out more emotion out of me than the prospects of the sodding Foot-to-Ball World Cup.

• The Random One says:

As a Brazilian, I’ve felt a cornucopia of emotions regarding the World Cup. They include impotent rage, withering scorn, and mind-numbing apathy.

2. Smashbox says:

This game looks incredible.

EXCEPT – Why does it have TV scanlines. It’s kind of a strange anachronistic mix.

• LTK says:

Is this not the kind of cartoon that used to be shown on very early TVs?

• Geebs says:

Nope, would have been shown in the cinema before the main feature

• thebigJ_A says:

The top one’s got proper film-reel artifacts and no scan lines. Hopefully that’s the newer one.

• Phendron says:

Yeah, all I see on the first trailer are frame scratches from the film passing through the gate.

• StudioMDHR says:

Indeed it is. The top one is what the current game is using for effects. There will probably still be a few minor tweaks, but it is very close to what we want!

3. Polifemo says:

With this and South Park TSOT (which captured the show’s animations and style perfectly) among others I wonder why more studios dont go for unique visual styles and animations instead of the ol retro pixel look or dull browns.
    There is SO MUCH you could do with a games visual style nowdays and so many ways for gameplay to be linked to said style in unique and interesting ways that its mind-boggling how many just want to make platform retro pixel games.
    It gives the impression that they lack confidence and creativity.

• tomimt says:

I think it could have something to do with that most studios are still afraid to try more unconventional art styels in their games. Semi realistic look seems to please people easier than more artistic apporach, or that seems to be my observation at least. Like when Double Fine chose Nathan Stapleys art as a main style for Broken Age some people had pretty negative attitude with that and they were pretty vocal as well.

• Deadly Sinner says:

Pixels have the remarkable power to make cheap and simple art look decent. Many indie developers don’t have the money to implement a detailed artstyle.

4. CookPassBabtridge says:

Fffffffffffffucking CUPHEAD PLUSHIE NAAAOOOOOOOOO

5. Lemming says:

Wasn’t this the same ‘trailer’, that was out over a year ago? Have they done nothing since?

• Wedge says:

No? I don’t remember anything other than the old boss fight trailer and a basic animation demo.

• Lemming says:

Is that what that was? Well this is less than 30 seconds more, so still: What the hell have they been doing?

• TechnicalBen says:

Possibly making the artwork that literally takes years to make (if done in the original formats and scanned into digital).

6. Sinomatic says:

This is really beautifully done but I doubt I’ll ever be able to play it as I always found animation of this style to be really manacing as a wee kid, and thus have always had an aversion to it. Really great to see a game that does have a very different visual style from the norm though.

• Shazbut says:

I also find it really sinister. I’ll definitely play it though

Wonder why it seems that way

7. add_1066 says:

It look great Its very similar to the old Betty Boop cartoons https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhUCItCCQmQ&feature=kp.

8. Jackablade says:

With this and Disney going back to their old style Mickey Cartoons, it’d be great to see a bit more of a resurgence of this sort of surreal stylised animation.

• El Mariachi says:

Wow, that was the best Mickey cartoon I’ve seen since… I don’t even know, Sorcerer’s Apprentice maybe?

Nitpick though, that’s more of a late 50s, early 60s style, particularly the background art. Paris was a cultural juggernaut in those days, the likes of which were not seen again until the inexplicable late 80s obsession with Australia.