DOOM 4 Definitely Actually Really Revealed At QuakeCon

By Alice O'Connor on June 10th, 2014 at 6:36 pm.

DOOM over the world.

You know how id Software always used to say they’d tell us more about Doom 4 at QuakeCon? And that they really meant it this time? Then they stopped doing that because they never had anything to say about Doom 4? Well, you guys, they really mean it this time. They mean it so much, they’ve even whipped together a cinematic teaser trailer saying that at QuakeCon this July, they’ll really, definitely, for real have something to say about Doom 4. Or DOOM, as they’re simply calling it now. It’s got a Cyberdemon and everything so they must really mean it.

Now that a hearty chunk of id Software as we know it has gone on over to Oculus Rift, following technowizard John Carmack, maybe Doom’s long-rumoured development woes have been solved by essentially bringing in a new team.

QuakeCon 2014 runs July 17-20. For real this time, you guys.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , , , .

1. Lemming says:

Doom is one of those franchises where, if they are rebooting it again, they could go with a gender swapped protagonist, because ‘why not?’ There are many franchises where I roll my eyes at that suggest, merely because a character is so defined, but in Doom’s case it really doesn’t matter. A femMarine would be rather cool, actually. We don’t get many female avatars that are just no-nonsense soldiers without the veneer of sex-appeal or drama

It’s id though, so you know. Man-Muscles and guns only, I imagine.

• XhomeB says:

THIS is your primary concern?
      Yeah, fvck the level design (which will almost assuredly be linear as all hell) , the weapon feel, the potential of there being mandatory CoD-like iron sight usage slowing the gameplay down and myriad of other potential issues. The Doom Marine might be a dude again, THE HORROR.

• Lemming says:

Did I say primary concern? Or was it just a comment on something you particularly don’t have an interest in? Be honest.

• XhomeB says:

This is what your entire post is all about. Why write about such nonsense if it isn’t what you’re weirdly obsessed with?

• Lemming says:

So you only make comments about things you’re weirdly obsessed with? What fucking planet are you from? Just shut up now and you might escape this with some dignity.

• jorygriffis says:

New house rule: every comment must accurately summarize every single possible thought the commenter has on the post. Comments regarding only a single subject will be deleted and their users banned.

• XhomeB says:

• Lemming says:

@XhomeB

Well, you had your chance.

• Flopper says:

Because if Doom marine was a woman she’d be on the floor crying at the hellspawn and asking if she could wash their dishes and give out BJ’s in exchange for her life.

• SillyWizard says:

BJs*

• jrodman says:

XhomeB is a troll. Just block him like the rest of us and move on.

• ssbowers says:

” You’re the one fantasizing about a Doom Marine in a skirt, and you dare talk about DIGNITY?”

This just won the Internet. May I please use it?

• Baines says:

It’s not like there is a chance the level design will be good, anyway. Same for more of the rest of concerns.

• The Random One says:

I care a lot about more female characters, but if their level design was 1/10 as good as any big FPS from 1997 or earlier, the character could be a wisecracking penis and I’d forgive them.

• subedii says:

I get the feeling a female protagonist would basically be Calhoun from Wreck-it-Ralph.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

You know which franchise should do that? Duke Nukem.

• Taidan says:

It would be nice to have to choice. It’s always nice to have a choice.

• vasek45 says:

Actually if we remember that dude-marine is stereotypical maximum-masculine-100kg-of-muscles-brutal-guy armed with a goddamn BFG his female alternative would have to be a stereotypical big-breasts-strong-ass lady whom you might mistake for a fitness instructor if not for her armor (and a BFG in her strong arms).

• onetruepurple says:

Nice passive aggressive fallacy in that last line, but it’s wrong. Quake 2 had multiple female Marines, and Quake 3 had all sorts of playable characters, several of which were “female avatars that are just no-nonsense soldiers without the veneer of sex-appeal or drama”.

• crizzyeyes says:

Quake 3 had a female Doom marine, in fact – Crash. She is apparently an instructor for recruits.

• Lemming says:

Nice side-step there. You’re only referring to multiplayer which is outside of any narrative.

• onetruepurple says:

1. No, you could play as a woman in Q2SP.
          2. Quake 3 was MP only and had narrative.

• Ando says:

Hate to be a Q2 nerd but Bitterman was the only one whose pod made it through the strogg defences. He’s who you play as. Not that it matters in the slightest, the game isn’t about his character.

• SupahSpankeh says:

TBH, provided they first ensure level design is solid and gameplay is tight and not a CoD clone with demons, IDGAF what gender is assigned to the protagonist.

Literally zero of them are given. I just want a good game, and not just another slow-ass lumbering CoD clone.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Femdoom.

• fish99 says:

It’s not id though, cause everyone left.

Also Doom 3 wasn’t much of a Doom game so I don’t have much hope for this. Doom should be about (mostly) big areas and huge amount of enemies. In Doom 3 there was barely enough room to strafe away from incoming projectiles.

• soldant says:

No, it shouldn’t – I know this is the line posted by ‘successors’ like Serious Sam, but that’s not what Doom was like. Doom’s wide-open arena-style areas with large numbers of enemies weren’t frequent, they were the setpieces of their era. The game still had its fair share of claustrophobic corridors and most of the time you’d face off against only a handful of enemies at a time. Doom had excellent pacing for its day, but everybody seems to forget that in favour of “big rooms, lots of monsters”.

Really, go back and play it again.

• fish99 says:

Well yes, but the point is, Doom 3 *never* gave you any open spaces, or room to work with, so the combat was very static, and it never gave you lots of enemies to face together. While Doom 1/2 had it’s twisty narrow bits, it also had a ton of open spaces. You also moved slower and your weapons seemed weedy in Doom 3 (basically the game was designed around fighting 2-3 tough enemies at once rather than 5-10 weaker ones), so the pure gameplay of Doom was largely gone.

Doom 3 just didn’t play like Doom.

• dskzero says:

Welcome to the post-Sarkeesian gaming world: where people give a shit about the gender of the main (mute, completely irrelevant) character.

• The Random One says:

If only Sarkeesian hadn’t invented feminism. It was even worse than when Yahtzee invented both cynicism and British accents.

• toxic avenger says:

You don’t think it matters? What are you, an 900lb gorilla who has only two modes?: smash and SHMAAAAAASH! C’mon, use your brain. I don’t have a relative anecdote if you are British, but consider for a moment pre-Cosbys, pre-Civil rights United States, where there were no positive depictions of black people on television, in (most) books, and in magazines. Imagine being a child, growing up and seeing your own skin color reflected in the image of popular culture as a symbol for evil, crime, stupidity, and buffoonery. Even today, small black girls, at the youngest of ages, are teased mercilessly about their “different” hair, creating a cycle of negative body image (Am I getting too abstract for you? Too “touchy feely” read: describing ordinary psychological phenomena?) that perpetuates itself into horrific consequences over time and generations. Meanwhile, your white male is conditioned to act like the all-seeing, all-knowing, living, breathing, dancing shit of the universe, never questioning his own position in the psycho-social food chain until, really, the past 20 years.

Parallels are easy drawn to femininity, females, transgendered, etc. I’m sorry if I’m getting preachy here, and doubly so if you understand, and simply don’t give a shit; no one can change the way anyone feels. I’m just here to let you know you sound like the hillbillies here stateside who still question Obama’s birth certificate, climate change deniers, and anti-vaxxers, in that you are unable to see reality for what it is, what it is agreed upon, right in front of your eyes.

You might want to do something about that.

2. RedViv says:

I repeat my statements here: This teaser lacks glorious E1M1 Hangar music. Disgraceful!

• NailBombed says:

I agree wholeheartedly. Here’s what should have been blaring over the trailer.

• subedii says:

I don’t know. I think they deserve bonus points for iconic shotgun and door opening sound.

• cpt_freakout says:

While they do, I’m one of those people who think that the music was one of the keys of DOOM’s adolescent appeal, so they better bring in the electronic tributes of classic heavy metal for the reboot!

3. adamsolo says:

Cyberdemon!… Oh, the memories.

4. subedii says:

Guess I’ll be the 3rd one to requote themselves then. :)

I will admit that when I saw the reveal, my interest was piqued despite myself.

Which is odd because I primarily view id as an engine company these days, and I felt Doom 3 was OK but not as great as all the reviews hyped it to be.

Part of Doom’s problem is that it’s so iconic that a follow up and keeping in its “spirit” is probably too difficult an expectation to manage. Doom was both horror and action to different people in different ways.

Personally my problem with Doom 3 was that it was a bit too schizophrenic on that front, and its design wasn’t entirely there. I think they wanted it to be more horror, which is fine, but resorting to pitch blackness and monster closets on its own isn’t enough (in fact, most horror games I’ve ever liked haven’t made it so impossible to see what you’re doing. Half the time you wouldn’t even really get any decent view of what you’re shooting. Which wasn’t scary, it was just annoying. You were hitting black blobs moving against a black background). The times when the game wanted the action to ramp up more, the constant System Shock-esque audio logs (whilst not bad in themselves) felt to me like they held up the pacing that the game was trying for.

Still, I’m willing to give id the benefit of the doubt. Let’s see what happens come Quakecon.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Yeah that’s a good assessment. In more shorthand I’d say that I’m not a huge fan of horror games in general and Doom 3 to me was just a jump-scare-athon that lost the atmosphere of the original games. As you say though, I think it’s difficult to make a game 20 years later that retains the atmosphere and feel of Doom whilst adhering to modern graphics and gameplay.
      Shadow Warrior and Wolfenstein were good but they were most definitely throwbacks. Do people just want a throwback to Doom in the vein of those other two games or are they looking for something groundbreaking with Doom 4? I dunno tbh, don’t even quite know the answer to that myself.

• subedii says:

I don’t really mind a new take on things, as long as they try to make sensible use of the license and keep to its core themes and gameplay ideas.

Heck, XCOM and Enemy Within basically became two of my most played games of the past couple of years. And the people who can’t hack any changes along those lines have got Xenonauts (or in this case, Brutal Doom).

Of course, all this is getting ahead of just what we’re going to see come Quakecon.

5. Dave Tosser says:

We don’t need another Doom because it’ll never be anywhere near as good as the originals and there’s no point in pissing over the franchise identity when Doom 3 already did that. Also, stop rebooting old games by taking the original title and sticking it on something that looks and plays nothing like the original title.

But alright, that’s the Angry Internet Man outed.

I’m curious, though- does anyone need a modern Doom? If you want more of the originals than there’s one of the largest mod communities of all time a few keystrokes away, and there’s quite a large Doom 3 modding community too, if you feel like punishing yourself. People really want Id, whose track record, where both PC support and actual good games are concerned, is simply never going to match what they managed in the early 90s? It just seems like a waste. Get them doing something new and let’s pretend they’re not buried under the weight of their heritage, rather than let them keep pointing to their best bits and going, “See that? That was brill, wasn’t it! Let’s take everything you loved about that and ruin it!”

But fair be it if you do want another Doom.

• Zaphid says:

I have to agree, the perfect Doom for me already exists, it’s called Brutal Doom and I don’t see how any developer could release a game matching that these days. The original concept is almost archaic, what makes it fun is the level design and the feel of the weapons, both of which are mostly forgotten art these days. The games that came the closest is TF2 and CS:GO and neither are brand new ideas. Shadow Warrior is also nice, but no big publisher will release an AAA game like that with a straight face.

First time I fired the double barreled shotgunin Brutal Doom I giggled like a 5 year old boy at the mess and mayhem that single shot caused. That is completely unmatched in all the other games.

• Geebs says:

Hey, if they can just make a new one with the same gameplay as the original, but with shiny next gen graphics, I would be all over it. Video hardware is plenty good enough these days for that to be feasible.

• MykulJaxin says:

I just wanted to thank you for sabotaging my afternoon. I had heard of Brutal before but I’ve never really been a Doom guy. I saw how much you loved it and was like, “Alright, I’ll give it a chance, must be cool” and I got set up and started playing and all of the sudden it was two hours later. NOOOOOOOO

• dethtoll says:

Brutal Doom ahahahahahahaha.

• MaXimillion says:

I didn’t really need a new Wolfenstein (New Order), but I sure did enjoy it. If they pull that off with the new Doom then great.

6. HiFiHair says:

What do you think the significance of the Union Aerospace Corporation logo appearing on the Cyberdemon’s gun is? I worry it implies a quantity of storytelling more than is necessary.

• XhomeB says:

Oh nonono, please say it isn’t what I think it is. Remember that awful Doom movie? Demons from hell are gone, it’s all about UAC’s research into genetic manipulation. Ugh…

• HiFiHair says:

My fear also! I would really welcome a hard detour back to the visual-rich / narrative-light approach of the original. I know it was born of necessity back then, but I found the story so much more engaging when it was optional and I read it in the manual. And the rest was inferred by level names and incidental detail. I really don’t care why there are demons. Just make them terrifying and hard to kill.

• subedii says:

I think it just implies that “Ze Monsters” are fusing with the weapons and tech are hanging around the UAC base.

The trailer even says “instead, we let them in”, which is basically what Doom 1 was about (well, as much as it was about anything other than shooting things).

• HiFiHair says:

Even so, if true, I think that’s less interesting than it being their natural look. I love the weird technohell conjured up in the original.

• RedViv says:

Oh, they might have stuff of their own and then just replace limbs that have fallen off with whatever tech might be around. That seems like a neat way to conquer a world. Just stick a minigun in your torso once someone blows a chunk out, that’ll show them.

• subedii says:

That always seemed kind of incongruous to me in its default, particularly when we got around to stuff like Doom 2′s revenants. And if we’re honest, the “inspiration” for that design was basically mashing together a half-dozen heavy metal album covers.

• headless97 says:

The cyberdemon, spiderdemon, revenant, and mancubus all had cybernetic parts without the need to justify why. Perhaps id is just trying to stay true to the classics but there really is no use in speculating what the game will be like based on a teaser trailer. Let’s wait until we get some factual information on Doom 4.

• subedii says:

Not that I feel Doom needs a specific plot of any kind, but I don’t particularly object to it having one either.

• derbefrier says:

ugggggn i hope not this is doom damnit. Marine meet demons, demons meet marine…now shoot each other with big ridiculous weapons. We dont need anymore story than that.

7. yhalothar says:

Please don’t be shit.
    Please don’t be shit.
    Please don’t be shit.

It’ll be shit, won’t it.

• Memph says:

Underwhelming perhaps. Dissapointing maybe. Shit? No.

• NailBombed says:

Never fear, there’s still at least two Doom games to play through, as well as the Brutal Doom mod, before the shitness sets in. Unless you’re down with the shitness? Ooooo- wa-aa-aa-aa!

• Lemming says:

Maybe not shit, but it’s likely to be very pedestrian.

• BooleanBob says:

Not according to the three weeks’ worth of previews prior to release (but the reviews and mea culpa editorials in the aftermath may tell a different story).

8. mrwout says:

Wow this trailer is really, really, reaaaally reminiscent of the Starcraft II announcement trailer, it’s just uncanny.

• Zaphid says:

The design of some of those vents is almost identical, I noticed that too.

9. jorygriffis says:

Doom and Doom II still rule. There will be no reason to play this.

10. derbefrier says:

well thats cool i guess. I hope they take a que from the recent success of games like shadow warrior and the new wolfenstien and realize you can still make good single player first person shooters. not getting my hopes up after doom 3 though.

11. Vodka, Crisps, Plutonium says:

Wait.

Is this a Quake 5 with UAC for Stroggs?

12. CookPassBabtridge says:

A Doom without Carmack? Has anyone checked the laws of physics to see if that’s … possible?

• Vodka, Crisps, Plutonium says:

I think former someone in id has invented a work-around function.
      And then Zenimax has sued them for physics law infringement.

13. Nenjin says:

Doom 3 was the modern take on the classic gameplay, and it pretty radically altered what was good about DOOM. Instead of large levels to figure out and hordes of guys to side step and shoot, game play slowed way, way down. Rooms were cleared from the doorway where possible, demons were sniped rather than confronted. I remember breaking several of the scripted scares just by doing the unthinkable: going around the outer edge of the room to avoid the inevitable trigger placed somewhere in the middle. So I’d sneak through the shadows, settle into a corner, turn and see that I’m standing right next to a demon, patiently waiting for his cue to go “BLARGH!”

So my hopes are not high for this. Even without the shadows and darkness, I sense an obsession with the narrative that will probably once again bog the title down. I remember being exhausted playing Doom 3 because of the endless of objectives and justifications. I don’t need backstory to shoot demons and survive, I need plenty of ammo and clear sight lines!

14. Distec says:

Everything is shit. Fuck you, id.

I guess I was alone in liking Doom 3.

• Kaeoschassis says:

You were not alone. I still love Doom3.
      As its own game, at least, it’s actually a blast.

• Halk says:

I also loved it. Never understood all the complaints about it.

I am not even a big fan of “pure” shooters, because I find they are usually too primitive. But Doom 3 was so perfectly polished, so fast and fluid, so clearly “PC-ey”, that I enjoyed it a lot and could not stop playing.

Maybe it was a bit too long. They could have taken out 3 or 4 levels somewhere in the middle of the campaign without taking away anything from the experience.

• Dominare says:

+1 for Doom3 was actually a very good game in its own right (and I’m old enough to have played Catacomb on my 286 so I know my iD games). The main reason Doom 3 didn’t have wide open kill arenas in it is simply because the engine was already pushing the limits of what the common hardware of the time could handle comfortably, as is often the case with iD games. The fact is that their goal was a dark, oppressive atmosphere and they accomplished it – you only had to look at all the people whining about the flashlight and making various ‘duct tape mod’ things because they were too scared to play it as intended.

• Volcanu says:

Here, here. Doom 3 was pretty great.Just in a different way to Doom 1 & 2.

15. Turkey says:

There’s just no way this is an old-school shooter.

16. Darth Gangrel says:

It looks like that cyberdemon’s left hand has a face, with those two glowing lights looking like eyes and that barrel looking like a circular mouth with teeth. If that’s the case I’m totally cool with it, because it would be pretty cool if that mouth started spitting missiles at you.

17. neofit says:

Yay, better looking darkness and monster closets, can’t wait.

18. Shazbut says:

Just call it Doom 4 for God’s sake.

19. perfectheat says:

You are the cyberdemon in this one. No more space marine.

• Mitthrawn says:

That would be the best twist. I would play that game in an instant. Just blowing away worthless humans with cacodemons at your side, swatting away helicopters and tanks.

• NailBombed says:

“No, John Walker. You ARE the demons!”

20. Sidewinder says:

Will this be good? Will it be awful? Beats me.
    But one thing I do know- it’s time to stop blithely tolerating this idiotic “give the new game the same name as the one from twenty years ago” trend. I may sound like a nerd when I say this, but MATH IS IMPORTANT. Therefore, by the power vested in me retroactively by myself after I’ve taken over the world, I hereby dub this game “DOOM: id Can’t Count”.

• Spacewalk says:

I’d say that it’s more calculated than idiotic.

• AyeBraine says:

C’mon, that logo just looks good on its own, and it has aged well. There’s nowhere to add any numbers to it, it’s symmetrical. And, of course, there’s the implication of going back to the roots. Nothing stupid about that (no matter whether it will turn out to be justified or not).

21. Ulaxes says:

I’m ready for this!

22. Kaeoschassis says:

Welll, that thing looks a lot more like the classic Cyberdemon than the Doom 3 version did.
    That’s a positive observation, I should point out.

23. Frank says:

Looks like they’ve been taking cutscene tips from Blizzard. Good for them

24. dethtoll says:

In before someone else mentions Brutal Do– god dammit.

You people.

25. tvcars says:

Looks like total crap!

26. tvcars says:

Made for the new generation whom have never played the originals so they’ll love it no matter. That’s what branding is for.

27. neolith says:

“I’m gonna sing the doom-song now.”

28. RCoon says:

Has nobody thought that maybe the demon adorned with UAC gear is the actual playable character? Would make a fine twist, and keep all those gender related comments at bay, if the demon character was neither gender as a point of fact.

29. Alien says:

- I want to live in a future where real-time graphics look like this.

- And at some point there has to be a first person “Teleglitch” with ligthing, shading and 3D-models like this.