You Should Probably Pay Attention To IndiE3

By Nathan Grayson on June 10th, 2014 at 12:40 am.

You may not have noticed – for instance, because you are under a rock, in space, or dead – but E3 is happening. So far, it’s been about as predictable as they come: sequels we already new about, a couple “hmmm, that might actually be interesting” standouts, and a whole, whole, whole lot of console-focused stuff. Also a bunch of gameplay “demos” that largely demonstrate the fact that game publishers don’t actually know how people playing games sound. Indies, meanwhile, are technically here, but their presence is depressingly quiet. IndiE3 aims to change that. It’s a week-long series of streaming panels and demo sessions dedicated to smaller, more innovative games. There’s a game jam component as well. IndiE3 just kicked off, but it will be running even longer than E3 proper. You can watch it now.

There are two channels: IndiE3 proper and IndiE4. There’s a full schedule of events for both here.

Here’s what it’s all about:

“So what is IndiE3? It’s a cyber-convention spanning from June 9th to the 16th. It’s a game jam running from the 10th to 14th. It’s a show of solidarity among the Indie community. It’s a demonstration of what can happen with drive, commitment, and a little bit of anger. It’s a movement. It’s happening right now.”

“IndiE3 is a chance to show off the games you’ve never heard of, learn something about game development, and find out about the people behind the games as they’re being made. There will likely never be a game made in papercraft at E3. Nor a game about driving along at night with a Hitchhiker. No competitive rock, paper, scissors. There will be at IndiE3.”

Throughout the week, IndiE3 will show off over 100 games in addition to panels on subjects like “designing role-playing games without combat,” “games have a racism problem,” and “highlighting underloved triple-A developers.” It looks to be quite a thing.

Now of course it won’t be as polished of a production as E3, but that’s not really the point. Expect interesting discussion and copious games you never knew about, never could’ve seen coming. And probably also a bunch we’ve posted about on RPS, because this is sorta Our Kind Of Thing.

It’s a nice break after hours and hours of MANGUN GUNSPORTS NEW DESTRUCTIBLE CAPTURE THE LADY MODE, a breath of fresh air that fills your whole body. Which is not to say E3 is bereft of good ideas or interesting games. I’m in LA for the show, and I’m set to see some very, very exciting things. IndiE3, though, is different, and goodness knows this industry needs the hell out of some difference. Watch it. This stuff deserves an audience. Or, in short:

“IndiE3 is the fan celebration for those who can’t normally be there. For the devs who have trouble keeping lights on. For the gamer who can’t leave their house because of a disability. For the communities who are otherwise ignored or thrown aside.”

, .

1. The Random One says:

Looks very interesting, but I don’t know any of these people!

2. bill says:

I just noticed E3 was happening.

Until the age of about 25 I’d have known about it for months, but these days other things are more important/pressing than keeping up with every little bit of tech news.

I’m sure it’ll be exciting though. Lots of cheering etc..

3. green frog says:

I was just about to say, if RPS sneers at E3 any harder, I think you guys’ faces are going to fall off.

Relax folks, no one’s coming to take the indies away. See? The AAA spectacle of E3 and the indie scene can coexist. It’s not a zero-sum game. E3 is not a threat.

Mitthrawn says:

Yeah, perhaps we can cheer for both AAA and the indies? It does seem there is a heavy sense of world weariness and, “oh mainstream games, how blase, amiright?” around here.

The world is amazing and we live in a time of miracles. Get happier, people.

• gwathdring says:

I think the trouble is that E3 hardly even represents all that is good about AAA gaming. It represents all that is grimly economical, all that is self-defeatingly hype-driven, and all that is stupendously redundant about AAA gaming.

E3 is the home of the Console Wars, the Killer Apps, and lie upon lie upon lie about the actual products that these showpieces will eventually become.

When I want to celebrate all that is awesome about AAA gaming (and sometimes I do indeed want to celebrate that) I tend to steer clear of E3. If nothing else, I find other conventions lead to more interesting previews, demo-sessions and interviews than E3.

E3 has too many talking points and teasers and carefully crafted pieces of nonsense that waste both the audience’s time and the developer’s. Interesting stuff does come out of E3, but I tend to find the stuff that comes out of, say, GDC way more entertaining and enlightening.

4. Vinraith says:

Looks much more interesting than E3, not that being more interesting than a week-long AAA advertisement is a hard thing to be.

Tom De Roeck says:

Seriously. http://www.radiusfestival.com is holding what last year was called “Etoo London”, which Cara and some other RPS regular helped present, and this gets precedence?

• bateleur says:

Radius is going to be great, but it doesn’t start streaming until 19th. I’m sure it will have a higher profile nearer the time.

• MOKKA says:

Yeah, because covering one Indie-centric alternative to E3 prevents RPS from covering the other events as well.

• twaitsfan says:

Maybe it’s because RPS figured out that Cara’s misplaced rage at the world is kindof a big fat downer.

6. Verizian says:

I love following indie game news because there are some really innovative concepts but I’ve cut back a lot because so many of them end up in release limbo. At least with AAA events we can realistically expect the game in a certain time frame.

7. Darth Gangrel says:

Since when did Matthew Broderick start doing indie games and dyed his hair pear green?

8. Nenjin says:

Tempted to watch, but I’m not sure the pitch was breathless enough.

9. twaitsfan says:

I like the idea of this, but listening to these guys is work. I feel like I’m on a bad date.