Sugar And Vice: Hotline Miami 2

By Adam Smith on June 10th, 2014 at 10:30 am.

GO BIG OR GO HOME. That’s the E3 motto that I just made up but I imagine it’s fairly close to the instructions that studios receive from their lords and masters. A trailer is delivered and returned. “Make it louder. Make it faster. Add hyperbole. Add buzzwords. Make it bigger or go home. Also, please note that your home has been reposessed until such time as you go bigger.”

Hotline Miami 2 could have spewed a hallucinogenic cocktail of violence, music and neon onto screens and into our eyes, but that would be too obvious. Instead, Miami turns up the heat by makings its E3 trailer about something entirely unexpected.

Bringing a level editor trailer to E3 is like bringing a knife to a gunfight. Of course, if Hotline Miami brought a knife to a gunfight, it’d be the last participant standing, and it’d probably be wearing somebody’s skin as a mask. When so many games are showing up with staged choreography and guest presenters, throwing a map editor out into the wild takes guts. Of course, if Hotline Miami was here it’d probably take your guts.

It’s a violent game, is what I’m trying to say.

I realise that I’m looking forward to a new album of music more than the game. That is not a slur against the game.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , , .

1. Darth Gangrel says:

Sugar and vice, but also lots of spilled tomato sauce if that header pic is any indication.

2. Thepixellated says:

To be honest, a level editor is just what the game needed to put it into another level of awesomeness. Replayability, modding (as much as possible with this of course) and so on. Millions of levels created by players for players.
    To be honest, I’m expecting this game a lot more than most other E3-related nonsense like everything Ubisoft and EA have thrown at our face.

3. Harlander says:

I realise that I’m looking forward to a new album of music more than the game.

I feel the same, though saying even more might express my feelings a little more clearly.

4. Curratum says:

The editor just makes sense for this type of game, doesn’t it? Fun times ahead!

5. pollosaurus rex says:

Most pc-friendly trailer at E3.

6. Rizlar says:

I hope Propulsive Compulsive Hyperviolent Hyperpleasure Lathe Machine 2 lives up to it’s predecessor.

Also will all articles about this game be tagged with ‘Hotlime Miami’ from now on? Seems kind of appropriate, since some of the colours in the game could be described as ‘hot lime’ and the idea of an actual hot lime is pretty repulsive.

7. Myrdinn says:

Hotline Miami was one of my favorite indie games EVER! Bring moar!

8. DrollRemark says:

Spooge.

9. Synesthesia says:

yis! I want that album blasting into my brain immediatly.

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

I need it!
      The Hotline OST was one of my most listened-to albums of 2013. Even bothered getting it in FLAC. The game was great, the soundtrack was out of this world.

10. P.Funk says:

I want to buy this game out of pure respect for this trailer alone.

Has anyone ever said that un-ironically?

Comment on this story