Finally: Grand Theft Auto V PC Announced

By Alice O'Connor on June 10th, 2014 at 9:55 am.

Yes, this screenshot is from the old console version.

“Where’s Grand Theft Auto V PC?” we once wailed. “Where oh where oh where could it be? Why haven’t they announced it?” Then Saints Row IV came out and we were distracted by the realisation that maybe superpowers were more fun than super-serious. But then hey, GTA V came out on consoles, and we peered over shoulders and muttered “Yeah, okay, sure, I’d play that. Why haven’t they announced it for PC?” The answer’s very simple: because it wasn’t pretty enough yet.

Grand Theft Auto V will arrive on PC this autumn, prettier than ever, Rockstar have finally announced at E3 this year.

The blurb says it will boast “across-the-board graphical and technical improvements to deliver a stunning new level of detail,” with “increased draw distances, finer texture details, denser traffic, and enhanced resolutions.” Extra wildlife, fancier weather, and other bits and bobs are promised over the original releases too.

Rockstar were waiting until they released GTA V for Xbone and PS4 before bringing that fancier version to PC, see. But the PC port will be fanciest of all, as it’s the only one to include a movie editor. Assuming it’s anything like IV’s editor, we’ll see a lot of great clips of badassery.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. P.Funk says:

So, maybe this won’t just be a shitty port like the last one? My brother had a better PC than me when IV came out and yet his couldn’t get half the frames mine could.

• Turkey says:

Yeah, both GTA4 and LA Noire ran like garbage on my computer. I’m betting this won’t run any better since it’s the same engine and all.

• Leaufai says:

Max Payne 3 was also the same engine and it worked fine on PC. Never had any problems with L.A. Noire performance either. GTA IV was utter shit, but that port was done when the engine was still brand-spanking new. R* has no doubt learned few tricks since. Also the fact that the port is also done for PS4/Xbone is a good thing, since those have PC-like architecture unlike the 360/PS3. So optimizing for one will now help optimization for the other as well.

• Turkey says:

Well, I exaggerated a bit with LA Noire. It was playable, but it had some crazy annoying framerate drops. Haven’t tried MP3, but that sounds encouraging.

• shaydeeadi says:

L.A Noire doesn’t even use the same engine so shouldn’t even be brought in to it.

• Artist says:

Its not about the engines, its a question of the implemention. Do your homework.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I’m pretty confident in calling GTA4 hardware agnostic.

In a bad way, obviously.

• malkav11 says:

At launch, GTA IV was a mess that ran poorly on even the most powerful hardware. But they patched it, and kept patching, and now it runs just fine. I’d take that over no port, even though I’d prefer a proper, functional launch. It’s not like Saints Row 2 PC which was a buggy, steaming mess and stayed that way until IdolNinja et al put together Gentlemen of the Row (and even then there was only so much they could do).

• Silent_Thunder says:

To be fair, GTA4 ran like complete garbage on the consoles it was designed as first party for as well. It would, and still does, grind to a complete halt on consoles if you look behind you to see a dozen cop cars all with their dynamic lights and whatnot.

GTA IV was simply badly optimized from the get-go. It never stood a chance for a good PC port.

• Laurentius says:

Or it could be that I lived in magic fairyland where my Intel C2D E7200 (2.5 Ghz) and Radeon HD4850 which was in December 2008 nothing spectacular, run GTAIV with no problem whatsoever, with medium/high settings and framarate around 40-35 FPS.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

It definitely won’t have GFWL this time, so that’s a plus.

Also PS4/XBone support means it has to run well on what’s fundamentally a PC architecture.

• Volcanu says:

Watch_Dogs would like a word with you….

• Lukasz says:

does watchdog run worse than it runs on console?
          i was under impression that games general performance is similar across all platforms.

• Cinek says:

I would say: Better, considering that PC was the only platform that got proper 1080p.

• Volcanu says:

From what I have heard, in many cases ‘yes it does’.

Whislt PC is the only one with 1080p it is also a stuttering mess for a lot of people, even on some top end rigs costing £’000s. I think the problem is particularly acute for anyone running an SLI set up. Even PC Gamer’s comically over the top ‘Large Pixel Collidor’ had framerate drops all over the place, on a game that let’s face it, is only graphically impressive in places.

Of course they may well fix all this with patches and/or new drivers – but the point remains, just because it was built with PS4/Xbox One architecture in mind doesnt mean it will necessarily run well on a PC in it’s native state…

• Bravado says:

At least RDR runs fine on PC….oh, wait a minute.

• Great Cthulhu says:

Terrible performance, mediocre graphics, mediocre controls, lots of bugs (including one that wiped all my saves), constantly bugs you for a GFWL account and an RSC account… And it really wasn’t a particularly entertaining game either. Whoever came up with the compulsory unfun social interactions if you befriend the NPCs should have had a career in accounting rather than making games.

I’ll probably check out V eventually, but not until it has been discounted to about 10 euros.

• varangian says:

‘Not particularly entertaining’ is something of an understatement IMO. Never has a life of fast cars and mayhem been so depressing, particularly the story missions. Could have been designed by the Daily Mail as a way of deterring the younglings from a life of crime, and if that ‘life is shit’ theme had been consistent then it might have worked on that level, but occasionally a bit of fun crept in which made going back to criminal drudgery even more of a downer.

• WinTurkey says:

If Max Payne 3 is any indication then R* got their shit together when it comes to ports.

• Jumpy-B-L says:

I just hope R* remembers that PC’s don’t use uniform RAM architecture and make sure that VRAM and RAM are utilized properly! Instant pre-order for me. Have GTA V on 360. It’s hard to appreciate all the detail when it’s fuzzy and blurred out.

• Neutrino says:

Out-of-the-box GTA IV on PC wasn’t all that spectacular, but once the modding community had their way with it it became a thing of beauty.

• Martel says:

Man that looks great. I have GTA V on the PS3 already, but if the PC version gets the same level of mods I imagine I’ll be buying it there as well.

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

Wow, I didn’t think it was possible for an entire city to lurch into uncanny valley, but there it is.

• RDG says:

GTA4 was a direct port of the triple core 360 version. As a result, it ran like garbage on single and dual core systems. Switching from a dual core to a quadcore almost doubled performance. Bad programming? Maybe. But I do not forsee the same problem for GTA5 as long as you have a quad core (or higher) processor.

2. BobbyDylan says:

Do I have to install about 12 different add-on programs to make the game work?

3. Nibblet says:

I tend to avoid ports but this is oh so very shiny.

4. Bravado says:

So R* has been giving us the finger for one year and now we are supposed to be overjoyed by the fact that after all this time we are going to get a proper version of this game? I don’t understand this…the gaming industry is fooling around with PC plain and simple.

• Dugular says:

I understand your frustration. But R* have probably done it the right way.

Firstly, we are getting the superior version rather than the last-gen version. This is a good thing.

Secondly, R* couldn’t tell us about PC getting the superior version because that would reveal that they are making a next-gen version for PS4/Xbone which would have slowed sales on the PS3/Xb360. Bit of a dick move, but makes business sense.

Bottom-line, R* have played it so they make the most money AND we get the superior version on PC. I can forgive them for that. I think the people who have a right to get pissed off more than us are console users who bought the game already and will have to buy again for the better version. We avoided that scenario.

• prostetnik says:

I’m kinda with you there, under one premise though:
        I can fogive them, IF THEY DON’T FUCK UP THE PORT AGAIN!
        I know, similar architecture, engine not new anymore and all, but hell, it’s not like R* didn’t have the resources to make GTA IV a working game on PC. They just didn’t want to, because they got the sales anyway.
        So yes, there’s hope, but I’m definitely not getting this on release.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

I don’t know… the best stuff from E3 all seems somehow pc related. It’s like pc is ‘winning’ without even trying…

• UncleLou says:

Who says you have to be overjoyed? You can either look forward to it and buy it, or you … don’t.

Really not sure what the problem is here.

5. roope says:

Yeah, not gonna hold my breath over this. It has been proven countless times that Rockstar hates PCs.

• nrvsNRG says:

this time they are essentially making a separate PC version, seeing as ps4 & xboxone are more of a PC then their older counterparts where.

• joa says:

The new consoles are not more PC-like in any way that actually matters. Consoles are now using x86-64 – but developers were never hand-optimising assembly code in the first place. The benefit of the consoles is the single hardware configuration to optimise against, which consoles still have and PCs still lack.

6. DuncUK says:

“In addition, the current community of players will have the ability to transfer their Grand Theft Auto Online characters and progression to their choice of PlayStation 4, Xbox One or PC.”

I’m glad that they are allowing online characters to be ported forward to PC… the online mode had alot of potential but it was never really realised. Heists were rumoured for ages, but it was pretty clear that GTA online was given a back seat so that Rockstar could focus on the next-gen and PC versions. The trickle of updates were mostly added tedious clothing and useless weapons and vehicles (once the game was patched to be actually playable) and doesn’t seem to have moved on much since I stopped playing on 360, 6 months ago. Nice to have lost my final reason to keep the 360!

7. bigjig says:

Would’ve preferred Red Dead Redemption tbh

8. Jorum says:

bought this on PS3 but still haven’t played yet because the in-game text is unreadably small and blurred on my TV :(
    maybe won’t bother now and just wait for shiny PC version.

9. sharkyh20 says:

I have to admit, I nearly choked on my coffee when I saw this on the front page.
    Wasn’t expecting this any time soon. Please don’t screw it up Rockstar. PLEASE

• Darth Gangrel says:

I knew that GTA V would come to PC eventually, since all the other GTA’s did, I just didn’t expect it so soon. It was both a surprise announcement and something I was anticipating.

It wouldn’t have made business sense to leave it out. When GTA V became the most successful launch in videogame history, they wouldn’t want to avoid making more money from it by not releasing it to PC and PS4/Xbox 1. Even disregarding that release-GTA-V-for-PC petition with close to 730 000 signatures, there is a strong fanbase for it and the mod community keeps the game selling.

10. Stardog says:

Pleaseee have the same controls as IV, with the mouse controlled camera, etc.

11. madeofsquares says:

To be honest, my interest in this has waned somewhat and will likely be even less come autumn. Especially as I’ve heard quite a bit about how the online (so far) isn’t quite living up to expectations.

• P.Funk says:

When the fuck did online ever have anything to do with a GTA game being good? What weirdo universe do I live in? Oh right, the one where everything is multiplayer these days.

Well fuck a duck.

• nrvsNRG says:

Yep, its depressing that ppl have this desire for everything to have multiplayer, coz otherwise it has less value, or some bullshit.

GTA has always been about the single player story, and tho I’m sure the MP part would be a fun distraction, its certainly not essential or a deal breaker.

12. Laurentius says:

This is so cool. I’m glad. I only hope car handling is as good as in IV if not my hopes go to modders.

• Volcanu says:

Its not. Sadly cars handle like go karts and bounce off things like dodgems. Apparently this made a lot of people very happy, but I much preferred GTA IV’s car handling which made chases a lot more fun.

At least with the PC there is the prospect of mods restoring it (as you say)….

• UncleLou says:

Sorry to disappoint you, but no, the car handling isn’t as good as in IV. It was my biggest (or rather: the only) disappointment with GTAV.

This was really a case of simplifying, but then lots of people complained about GTAIV’s handling – probably because you had to use the brakes occasionally. :-/

And sorry for linking to an IGN article, but I thought this was neat:

• fish99 says:

It’s different but it’s still pretty good, certainly compared to the garbage physics in something like Saint Row 3 or Sleeping Dogs (and to a lesser extent Watch Dogs). Yes the brakes are ridiculously good and you don’t need the handbrake much since the cars have more grip, but they still feel decent IMO.

• UncleLou says:

Yeah, it’s still servicable. As you mention Watch Dogs, I’ve come to love the driving in WD. Certainly prefer it to GTA V. But it’s another one where you have to sue the brakes and where the cars don’t stick to the road like karts, and it seems a lot of people don’t like that (whether it’s WD or GTA IV).

• malkav11 says:

Describing GTA IV’s car handling as good must mean today is opposite day. So yes. Yes, it was great, the best of any open world driving-related game and I sure am excited to have such a model and I totally did not have to mod that just to be able to play GTA IV.

• Laurentius says:

But it seems R* fucked it up in V. Well I’m still playing IV because driving around LC is a great joy but it would be nice to do this in Los Santos, hence maybe moders can bring it across.

• malkav11 says:

You realize that what I wrote above meant that the car handling in IV was awful, the worst of any open world driving game (including the miserably broken driving in Saints Row 2′s terribly ported PC version that was never officially fixed), and I had to mod it just to be able to play the game? You do realize that, right?

• UncleLou says:

I guess he just couldn’t believe it.

For me, IV was the only GTA game where driving was fun in itself, more than just a chore to get you from mission to mission. It felt like the original Driver game, with what Reflection studios once called “Hollywood physics”. There was so much you could do with the driving physics, as opposed to the kart-style driving of most other open world games, including, to a degree, V. I honestly have absolutely no idea how people can prefer the “no physics, no need to brake” handling of most of these games, I just find it insanely boring. Just compare a crash in IV to a crash in V.

This is, I guess, where developers hate us. There’s just no pleasing us. :-)

• UncleLou says:

I guess he just couldn’t believe it.

Or just compare a crash in IV to a crash in V, they lost all – pun intended – impact.

This is, I guess, where developers hate us. There’s just no pleasing us. :-)

• P.Funk says:

I have no idea why you felt that way. I thought it was great, and I say that without being a clown or a mental midget.

• Laurentius says:

I don’t realize this because I consider GTAIV to have best driving model by a mile and stating otherwise is plain ridiculous. But bottom line is that you reply to me in the first place with your in that case stupid comment and what I do realize now though is that you are trollish prick.

13. Morlock says:

Interesting how I don’t care about a tile until it is announced for PC. It’s a somewhat silly attitude.

• Comrade Roe says:

Yes, avoiding tiles because they aren’t on your PC is a silly attitude indeed.

Titles not on PC however, if you only own a PC and prefer a PC though, is not something that’s silly to avoid.

14. Penguin_Factory says:

This trailer really makes me wish for an alternate reality version of GTA V where the characters never open their mouths and I don’t have to listen to them yelling “fuck” at each other and spouting stupid “topical” humor.

• AngelTear says:

Almost every game critic’s article I have read agrees that GTA’s plot, characters, environment, story, etc are among the most offensive, full-of-itself, believes-itself-to-be-smarter-than-it-is, hateful, racist, mysognistic, transphobic [further adjectives cut for length] garbage out there, so much so it’s now used as the standard en-passant bad example or throwaway reference, much like Justin Bieber’s name is used as the emblem of bad commercial music.

• Jdopus says:

Good, most of the fun of GTA’s stories have always been their absurd over the top characters and ridiculous satire of those issues. I haven’t played GTA V, but I thought the writing in GTA IV was top notch.

• AngelTear says:

Saints Row has absurd over the top satire of certain issues, not GTA. The difference is that Saints Row joyfully subverts what it is criticizing (there are some slip-ups, but overall it works), GTA points it out but then replicates it and propagates it, and its faults are the same that it would allegedly be satirizing in others.

Grand Theft Auto V makes no secret of its lofty artistic goals. It aspires to be a ludic parody of Americana, a grand statement about contemporary values and culture. Unfortunately in execution it struggles to be little more than a 100 million dollar version of Holden Caulfield calling everyone phonies. For all the pomp and self-congratulation, Grand Theft Auto V isn’t an insightful game so much as a game that wants people to think it’s insightful.
          Source: http://www.errantsignal.com/blog/?p=636

Grand Theft Auto V comments on sex and politics more or less constantly. In fact it’s kind of the core of the game’s supposed satire. It’s the Houlden Caufield of videogames, running around pointing out how everyone is a phony. In essence it argues for a sort of South Park centrism where everyone with strong opinions is wrong because people with strong opinions are easy to turn into lazy parody. The game skewers everyone in a lazy effort to be above the fray, but in the process it ends up punching down at vulnerable groups of people more often than it punches up at existing power structures.
          Source: http://www.errantsignal.com/blog/?p=582

• Jdopus says:

I agree with drawing parallels between GTA and South Park, but I disagree with how you’ve interpreted it as advocating centrism. GTA and South Park’s attempts to mock all sides of an argument aren’t based around attacking the ideas themselves, they’re more of a playful look at perceptions and how we see our political opponents.

When GTA mocks rednecks with “Republican Space Rangers”, the joke is as much on liberals who see conservatives in this way as it is on the conservatives the joke is on the surface targetted against. Likewise, when they had “Impotent Rage” in the new game, it’s as much a joke about the people presenting that absurd strawman of liberals as it is about liberals themselves.

I don’t think it’s an attempt to advocate for some sort of centrism where everyone’s opinion is equally invalid so much as it is an attempt to poke fun at every aspect of our society and culture, even the ones we agree with.

• joa says:

Skewering self righteous people of all kinds is the way to go in my book. Fashionable politics come and go, but the blind ideology and hypocrisy stay – regardless of political persuasion.

• AngelTear says:

(I actually don’t agree with the fact that South Park would be the same as GTA, but I still felt that the quotes provided a better explanation than I could offer, and I do agree that what he says about SP, while not applicable to SP IMO, is applicable to GTA)

• thecat17 says:

On a related note, did Mr. Errant Signal ever own up to the fact that his stance on women’s roles in his video review of Dishonored did a major disservice to both its creators and us viewers by not realizing that within the context of the game’s world, the roles women were forced to play made complete sense? Instead of damning the game on a surface level for not conforming to his present-day views, he should have at least made the effort to figure out what Arkane was trying to put across on the topic.

• AngelTear says:

@thecat17

1) Irrelevant to the topic at hand, we’re talking about GTA
            2) I’m not affiliated with ES, I just like him a lot and agree with him fairly often.
            3) I think it’s facetious to imply that Chris Franklin is some kind of misogynist. I haven’t played Dishonored, so I don’t really know, but if you think his analysis is incorrect you should tell him. I’m sure, if he was mistaken, it’s a mistake made in good faith.
            4) His alleged mistake in one of his analyses doesn’t invalidate every other word he has ever written, therefore (again) your ad hominem is irrelevant. I just used his words because I thought they would be more effective than my own.

• thecat17 says:

1) And yet, you chose to not just leave it at that?
            2) Fair enough. However…
            3) I never implied that Mr. Errant Signal was “some kind of misogynist”. I’m re-reading what I wrote, and I honestly cannot figure out where you got that interpretation. Seriously. Huh?
            3b) Judging from some of the comments to the video, both on YouTube and on his website, I’m not the only one who saw the flaws in his arguments towards Dishonored’s treatment of women. All of which never lead to any further discussion on the matter by him, as far as I can tell.
            4) While I agree with you, I didn’t ever imply that one mistake invalidates everything else he’s ever written. That’s, again, all from your confusing misinterpretation of my words. But this brings up a good point: that when it comes to Dishonored, one “mistake” invalidates everything that Arkane had to say on the subject of women.

“And the fact that this room exists as it does really can’t help but color my interpretation of the rest of the game’s presentation of women. It effectively removes whatever benefits of doubt I would have given to, say, the Lady Boyle situation or all the subservient women throughout the game.”
            Errant Signal – Dishonored (18:38)

This mistake along with the rest do not invalidate the rest of his work. However, when it comes to that certain topic he’ll effectively put on the intellectual blinders which drag down the rest of what he’s trying to critique. This is why I asked if he ever owned up to being wrong about Dishonored. He has not, to my knowledge. Which means that I cannot trust his opinions on misogyny, sexism, and the interpretions behind using such brushes by creators to paint their worlds. Subjects that are touched upon in his GTA V critiques that you linked. If he still hasn’t realized that some of his narrow opinions on How Games Should Be castrates his ability to critique art on terms which can be truly insightful, then I will keep on having a grain of salt handy when reading/watching his thoughts on said topics.

• DrollRemark says:

I dunno, I’ve just found with IV and V that the attempt to make them a little more serious and realistic has really blunted the satire. They were better as cartoony spoofs of the GTA 3 generation.

• kwyjibo says:

Sounds like it did exactly what it set out to do.

The torture scene was probably called out the most for being unnecessary and unpleasant, but elicited some strong positive feedback from Toms Chick and Bissell.

Maybe it could have done with a trigger warning.

• derbefrier says:

so its you standard GTA story…

• Neutrino says:

Well that’s good news then. I’d hate for it to be the same formulaic, politically correct pappy crap that other games studios are churning out.

• AngelTear says:

But it is extremely formulaic in its exaggerated “politically-incorrectedness”. It’s like when so many people shout about how non-conformist they are, and take pride in it, and they don’t realize they are extremely conformist in their way of being allegedly “non-conformist”

Also, as I specified above, Saints Row is equally not politically correct, the issue is rather one of subverting as opposed to replicating existing tropes/power structures etc. As an analogy, I remember the review for Deadpool here on RPS pointing out the difference between self-aware games who played with tropes in order to subvert them and do something different, and Deadpool that ostensibly told you “Oh no, another level in the sewers” but then presented you with said level for you to play, thus suffering from the same problems it allegedly criticizes.

GTA jokes about women or trans* do not end up making people think about their stereotypes concerning these categories, they simply acknowledge that they exist and then they use them “as-is” for whatever comedic effect they need, and they end up reinforcing those stereotypes in the process.

This is not good satire. It’s more like a kid swearing all the time just because swear words are cool and “politically incorrect”.

• Prolar Bear says:

I have briefly played this at a friend’s place. I enjoyed the free roaming, driving, etc.

Suddenly, while I was driving, there was a woman getting assaulted by two guys, one of them was completely (!) naked. I rescued her and drove her home. What Rockstar was trying to do with this event is beyond me – it was just hamfisted and tasteless. I also suppose I could’ve ignored the event entirely.

So yeah, politically incorrect for the sake of politically incorrect is indeed the kid swearing because it’s edgy and cool.

• fish99 says:

Have you played one?

• Jenks says:

” full-of-itself, believes-itself-to-be-smarter-than-it-is”

It must be a sign that I thought those exact same phrases when reading your comments.

• fish99 says:

Given that they’re criminals committing violent crimes it’d be rather odd if they didn’t swear.

• Prolar Bear says:

flowers to womans etc.

Oh look, my game is about criminals so I’ll write immature dialogues because I can.

• fish99 says:

Huh? I was just commenting on the swearing. The game would be ridiculous without swearing. I probably swear more than the GTAV protagonists.

• Prolar Bear says:

My comment seemed more negative than I actually intended, sorry. I agree on the swearing, but I think – from the short bits I’ve played – that the dialogue wasn’t that good. Swearing was used as a crutch, imo.

15. clumsyandshy says:

Classic RPS commenters only complaining and whining. Maybe it would be better if no console games ever also came out for PC.

• Harlander says:

Classic RPS commenters only complaining and whining

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.

• Darth Gangrel says:

As flawed as I think your reasoning is, you’re sadly far from the only one who thinks like that. When looking for how many people hade signed the “release GTA for PC” petition I saw another petition called “don’t release GTA V for PC”. It said that not releasing would learn PC gamers not to pirate games and other commenters said that PC gamers are so ungrateful that they don’t deserve a PC release. Luckily, neither group (ungrateful PC gamers or PC gamer haters) have much say in the matter.

• joa says:

I don’t think it’s particularly flawed reasoning. PC gamers undoubtedly cause the most trouble for developers and publishers. If publishers collectively agreed to stop publishing on PC, PC gamers would simply buy consoles, and developers could spend a lot more time perfecting their game on those systems, and there would be a hell of a lot less complaining in general.

• Neutrino says:

Bollocks.

• malkav11 says:

Like fuck I would. I don’t enjoy playing games on consoles, full stop, (I’ve owned two generations of consoles so I can tell you this for a fact – I’ve not even turned on my Xbox 360 in about a year and my PS3 only as a Bluray/Netflix player, and my Wii was a complete waste of money) and I wouldn’t pay the prices they ask either. If they don’t release a game for PC at this point, I’m just not going to play it. Sad, but I have an 1100+ game Steam library to work through. It’s not like I’m hurting for stuff to play.

• Darth Gangrel says:

You think taking away games from PC would lead to less complaining? Such a drastic change would never lead to a decrease in complaints. Instead, people would simply whine about the good old days, when there were still lots of games released on PC, just like people today talk nostalgically about the time before DLC, microtransactions and DRM. Those complaints hasn’t made games as a whole any less profitable, it’s better than ever, but people still complain and will continue to complain no matter what. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you see it), these complaints don’t seem to reflect the majority and only rarely lead to anything.

16. SIDD says:

Unfortunately that’s not the same as actually optimising the code to run smoothly … I have a nasty feeling that they left out “…if you 4 Nvidia Cards running in SLI”…so I’ll probably end up waiting a year or so before buying it, hoping it will be patched up by then (and it’ll probably be much more nicely priced as well).

• Disc0 says:

This, seriously. I don’t want the next-gen version. My PC still struggles with PS3-gen stuff.

And ‘denser traffic’? How’s that a feature, and not a setting? Sounds like it’ll make some driving bits harder on PC, especially if you’re not using a controller.

If they made it scalable to play on Intel HD graphics, or look awesome on top of the line hardware, they’d make the most money. They’d also spend the most though.

17. Volcanu says:

I have gone from being a bit non-plussed to cautiously optimistic. I bought and completed GTA V on the 360 and whilst it does what it says on the tin, it didnt wow me. Its a beautifully realised sandbox (as you’d expect) but it played like the same old GTA I’ve been playing since the series went 3d, and the car handling physics have taken a big step back.

That said, there are hints at greatness in there. The ‘heists’ feature could have been incredible but hasnt been particularly well realised. With this coming to PC I’m really hoping that when the modders go to town there will be some awesome and fresh mission content to go with that lovely, but somewhat dull, sandbox Rockstar have created.

Modders, away!

• Darth Gangrel says:

Modders will achieve what Rockstar can’t or won’t. It would have been a real shame if this never came to PC, but I never worried about it. Why would Rockstar choose to abandon the PC now? Especially since the new consoles are supposed to be more PC-like. It did take them longer to port this game than it took GTA IV, but that doesn’t matter, since it will be the best version once the modders get to work.

18. faelnor says:

Max Payne 3′s iteration of RAGE was excellent, I’m sure Rockstar got enough bad press because of the port of GTA IV that they’ll make sure GTA V runs nicely on PC.
    The game is really great fun if you can run along with its misanthropy, and it’s superb to look at. Fingers crossed for this version to include some new single player content and out-of-the-box moddability :)

• SIDD says:

“, I’m sure Rockstar got enough bad press because of the port of GTA IV that they’ll make sure GTA V runs nicely on PC.”

If I was a gambling man I’d take that bet!

19. Chaz says:

Looks fantastic, I can hardly wait!

Although obviously I don’t really have any choice in the whole waiting thing, but anyway.

20. voidmind says:

What I’d like to know is is my level 115 GTA Online character will be loaded on my PC once I’m logged in to R* Social Club

21. Megakoresh says:

Hopefully this won’t be as bad a port as the 4th one (and as bad a game). Never liked GTA and their horrible mismatch of ultra-serious and in a depressing way storyline and crazy stupid mayhem of gameplay couple with the world filled with jokes about everything and anything. Really annoying, I often wished there was no storyline at all.

But I heard that GTA 5 is more on a crazy side of things as far as story goes so maybe I will play it. Maybe. If the port is good.

22. MeestaNob says:

Fantastic news, however if they leave GTA 4 to die with GFWL I’m not interested in this.

• Baines says:

Capcom broke the PC version of Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition fairly badly when they recently patched out GFWL for Steamworks. Mind, it is hard to judge the performance hit introduced (Steamworks version had a higher CPU usage and noticeably lower fps) when there were so many other issues that just looked like sloppy work and no testing (mike always on, doubled announcer voice, net code allegedly made worse, etc).

But look at the bright side, if Rockstar doesn’t patch out GFWL from GTA4, at least they don’t risk making the whole game worse. Because it is pretty obvious the PC version wasn’t a labor or love or anything.

23. xcession says:

Is GTAV still a thing? I thought it was that game from that console last year. What excitement I had is all but gone. It’s just too late, I’ve seen all the gameplay videos, I’ve moved on.

• Chaz says:

For me, absolutely. I have a 360 but have held off and been waiting for the PC version of course. Only seen a few promotional trailers for it too. So yeah, still chomping at the bit to tuck into this.

24. Splotch says:

GTA V is boring. Pretty game but nothing to do

• Comrade Roe says:

If you can’t find anything to do in a Grand Theft Auto game, then you’re not playing GTA or any sandbox correctly.

• Sinomatic says:

I spent an ungodly amount of time in IV not ‘doing’ anything. GTA IV was (and I predict V will be) for wandering. For soaking in the city and spending time just driving or walking around, taking it all in.

And very occasionally actually working through the plot. Maybe.

25. The Random One says:

I can’t wait to buy it for five bucks in a sale so I can putter around in the overworld for a weekend then maybe play a little multiplayer or, more likely, forget it forever.

• jonahcutter says:

I’m of a similar mind.

GTA peaked for me way back in Vice City. Running around as a sociopathic Ray Liotta is the last time the game really worked as a whole.

San Andreas was brilliant in its scale and ambition. And James Woods’ character remains one if the best of the series. But the cracks started to show in trying to tell a story about a basically good guy in the whacked out GTA universe. The story itself was almost Shakespearean in its arc. It just didn’t always mesh well with the gameplay.

The ludo-narrative dissonance reached a fever pitch in GTA4. War-weary Nico killing hundreds and going berserk… The gameplay and narrative moved even further apart. That plus the flaccid story-telling itself, shoe-horned in romance and parade of forgettable mafia dons left me cold.

The games worked best as complete works when it portrays you as an enthusiastic criminal. But when they try to make you a reluctant bad guy, it breaks down more and more. What’s left then is an admittedly great sandbox to stage Heat-style shootouts and To Live And Die In La-style car chases. But not worth the release price of admission.

26. mrmalodor says:

Actually the PC version wasn’t announced at E3! They didn’t even mention it. The trailer that was shown during the conference stream simply said “Coming to Playstation 4″.

27. Comrade Roe says:

As long as GWFL is gone, it’s more optimised than GTA IV ever was, and having the prettiest game is not required (unless they can optimise it so well that an ancient dual core could run it at 60 FPS), then GTA V will look to make an awesome addition to my games collection.

28. CookPassBabtridge says:

Anyone know of any good articles on what they have got wrong with the new consoles? I have a well and truly ghasted flabber that they are struggling with 1080p and having to dial the shinies back from all those trailers from a year or so back. What went wrong in the hardware department?

• RedViv says:

They oversold their longterm performance with shiny tech demos, that’s pretty much the entire story. Now we’re just seeing the usual adjusting from one generation to the next, instead of instant graphics wonders. Sort of as if the Final Fantasy VII trailer for the PS3 had been sold as what the console would totally always be capable of all the time in gameplay with 60 frames per second.

• Baines says:

Graphical effects are more important to console publishers/developers than overall resolution or framerate. People always find more shiny graphical effects to add, and everyone else competes with the “best looking” titles.

Its the same reason Halo 3 ran at 640 instead of 720p in the previous generation, Bungie felt fancier lighting was more important that hitting 720p.

As for dialing back trailers, stuff like Watch_Dogs early trailer was never realistic. As, it seems, was Aliens: Colonial Marines.

29. HisDivineOrder says:

Releases in probably three months. Takes nine months to become good enough to play. Coincidentally, nine months will also be the time when it gets its first real Steam sale.

Game seems to come out in NINE months to me. ;)

30. Werthead says:

Looking at the history of Rockstar ports/multi-format releases:

GTA3: a bit pony
    VICE CITY: excellent
    SAN ANDREAS: excellent
    BULLY: from reports, pretty good
    GTA4: poor on release, pretty good now
    LA NOIRE: from reports, reasonably good
    MAX PAYNE 3: bloody excellent

So yeah, they dropped the ball on GTA4 but it’s fine now (partially a result of Rockstar releasing a quad-core-optimised game at a time when the majority of PC gamers were dual core) and the rest of their history of ports/multi-format games is actually very respectable. The PC versions of VC, SA and MP3 in particular are all the definitive ones, and I think now we can say the same for GTA4 for its mods as well.

On the balance of precedent and adding in the longer lead time for bug-fixing (a year as opposed to 6-9 months or instantly for their previous games), GTA5 appears to have a very good chance of being decent when it comes out, at least in terms of bugs.

Comment on this story