Raiding Tombs: Lara Croft And The Co-op Sequel

By Alice O'Connor on June 10th, 2014 at 4:00 pm.

More DoTs etc. Leeroy Jenkins and so on. Assorted MMORPG raid jokes.

Well lah-di-dah, look at Lady Croft, hob-nobbing with ancient Egyptian gods. Don’t Horus and Isis know what she gets up to at weekends? She stole that dinner set too, you know. You can still see the bloodstains. I can’t imagine why they’re keeping company with her. For all I know gods are fond of that blood and murder, though. Dreadful heathens. I tell you Alice dear, I wanted them to turn down my invitation to afternoon tea.

Deary me, sorry readers. I popped out the room to make a cuppa before tackling the announcement of Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris and my grandmother Alice (it’s a family name) starts trying to send me an e-mail about a video game as if the characters and events contained within were real ha ha grandmother what a hackneyed literary device.

2013′s Tomb Raider reboot may get credit for reviving the series, but Lara Croft herself was doing just dandy in a spin-off before then. 2010′s Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light was a pleasant little top-down game with plenty of shooting and some solid two-player co-op puzzle-platforming (our John certainly enjoyed it). Though Tomb Raider’s Lara may now be a teenager, Lara Croft® Lara is still a grown-up, which I’m sure will thrill fans of fictional timelines.

The Temple of Osiris will see Lara pillaging somewhere or other, this time accompanied by newly-freed gods Horus and Isis as well as another treasure hunter, making for four-player co-op. They’re off to stop the god Set by scooping up pieces of Osiris, the brother he murdered. And probably snatching a fair few treasures and weapons too while they’re at it.

The trailer says it’s “coming soon,” which I assume means this year. Lara Croft the teenage Tomb Raider will be back next year in Rise of the Tomb Raider, Squeenix also announced yesterday.

, , , , .

RedViv says:

I really liked the Lara Croft game and did not expect it to get a sequel, so this is a pleasant surprise.

• mechabuddha says:

One of the best things about Guardian of Light was that it was actually cooperative. You couldn’t solve puzzles without working together, as opposed to other coop games that play like single player games with two people.

Also, love your Rat Queens avatar.

2. Shodex says:

That awkward moment when you reboot a franchise, then put out a sequel to the part of the franchise that wasn’t rebooted.

As much as I liked the new Tomb Raider, I’m glad to see they aren’t limiting themselves to the grim new setting.

3. fletcha says:

I really loved Guardian of Light because it was such a great game to play co-op with my girlfriend. There aren’t many of those outside of the ‘Lego’ series. Glad to see its getting a sequel, hopefully the puzzle format stays similar with the shift to 4 player emphasis.

• Vinraith says:

The 4-player thing concerns me, honestly. The first game was an absolute masterpiece of 2-player co-op, but a large part of that was in the co-operative puzzle solving. That could easily get wrecked by the switch to 4, and even if it isn’t it’s easy to imagine that it wouldn’t scale well back down to 2 players.

• Wedge says:

Yeah that’s my big worry as well. The first one was incredibly well balanced with having puzzle layouts for single-player and co-op. It seems implausible they could balance it roundly up to four. Allllllthough if they didn’t allow THREE people to play, you could double the mechanics of most co-op puzzles requiring two teams to work in tandem, which might be amusing.

• ludde says:

Exactly my fear as well.

4. krait says:

The part about dreadful heathens and gods liking murder was a bit strong. Just switch out the word “heathens” for some other, traditionally more touchy religion, and you’ll see what I mean. I understand it wasn’t serious in any way, I just thought I’d point it out.

I like raiding tombs as much as the next person, though.

Isn’t the whole thing about collecting pieces of Osiris to stop Set lifted straight from TR 4, too?

• Coldyham says:

I’m assuming you’re aware that it was first lifted from actual Egyptian mythology right? The copyrights must have expired by now.

5. neolith says:

Of all the games currently announced this is the one I look forward to the most. I had a blast playing through the first one together with a friend.

6. Syra says:

I’ve never known a scarab to roar…

In other news this is the single best thing I’ve heard at e3 so far, loved the little gem that was guardian of light.m

7. 65 says:

Now they only need to let me play as Kain and Raziel again, as that is probably the closest I will get to another Legacy of Kain game.

8. Rao Dao Zao says:

I like the look of this sort of thing, but don’t have three friends. y dey no singleplayer? ;_;

RedViv says:

If it’s like the previous one, the SP campaign will be perfectly playable solo as well.

• Vinraith says:

Though it’s worth noting that, by necessity, some of the puzzles had to be simplified for single player, since their co-op form required two player coordination.

• fish99 says:

That might explain the one issue I had with the game: the puzzles were much too easy, but I was playing single player.

• Vinraith says:

They’re really nothing extra in SP, it’s true. Quite a few of them are flat-out diabolical in their co-op forms, though.

• Rao Dao Zao says:

Hmm, good to know! Might check the first game out, in that case.

9. CMaster says:

Lara Croft and TGOL wasn’t just “pleasant”. It was some of the best damn coop action ever made. (Joined up with the plot, writing and acting of a C-List saturday morning kids cartoon).

A follow up in the same spirit is marvellous. I’d always hoped for more DLC for the first one, but what little there was was combat challeges.

My worry is shared with Vinraith above – if they’re going for 4 player coop, it makes me worry that its going to be much more combat orienatated and hence “weak” coop, rather than the titanium-strong coop of the first.

Cephas says:

I totally agree. I also imagine the sections where you had to move fast, together, around falling objects/crumbling scenery will be an unfun kind of difficult with 4 people to coordinate.

Sinomatic says:

I can only hope the sequel will be as much of a joy to play as the first was (it was a pleasant urprise at the time).

I share the concerns of those above about 4 player though – how that will impact on the puzzle vs combat aspect, and also on how (if) that can scale down to 2 player co-op or singleplayer and still work.

11. Janichsan says:

That’s better news for fans of the classic Tomb Raider than the announcement of “Rise of the Tomb Raider: The Wacky Adventures of a Teenage Psycho Pickaxe Murderer”.

• Listlurker says:

@Janichsan

Well put, sir. I’ve said a number of times that the recent Tomb Raider reboot felt more like a high-quality Far Cry 3 mod, with a female protagonist, than an actual Tomb Raider game.

Yes, it was slick, and it was shiny, but it was also fairly shallow — and the notion of a Tomb Raider game without any genuine tomb raiding in it still baffles me. “Puzzle Room Raider”, anyone? Thought not.

Ah well, it was shiny and shooty and it sold, so that’s what we’re gonna get for the foreseeable future. So it goes.

12. Rollin says:

As long as it ships with online co-op, I’m sold. The last one initially only had local, which was pretty silly.