Road Trip: The Crew Launches Beta Sign-Ups, E3 Trailer

By Graham Smith on June 10th, 2014 at 5:00 pm.

Blooming bloom.

Among all the sarc and snark that E3 inspires, it’s easy to forget the spark of excitement that causes us all to give a damn in the first place. A few games overcome that for me, and I’m as surprised as anyone to discover that The Crew is one of them. It’s an Ubisoft racing game developed by a team made up of former Test Drive Unlimited devs, and it aims to provide a contiguous, scaled-down version of the United States for players to drive across. For that ambition alone, I’m looking forward to it, and there’s an impressive new timelapse video of the game’s world below.

If you want to watch the introduction and post-trailer chat with a developer from the Ubisoft conference, those six-minutes are over here. Be warned: it’s buzzword-heavy. I have constructed brand-focusing word charts before, but I’m surprised Ubisoft’s script writers didn’t reach further than just reading theirs out loud. “True, expansive, open-world, driving, mayhem.” Is that even a sentence?

Also: LOOK AT IT. My cynicism ends at the point where I remember that I once couldn’t comprehend how Grand Theft Auto 1 could fit an entire city into a game.

The concept behind The Crew should be familiar to anyone who played Codemaster’s Fuel, a flawed racing game made worthwhile by its world. It was created using topographical data of the western United States and its level designers were geographical mash-up artists, re-mixing and re-organising terrain into a greatest hits compilation of America’s most famous and impressive vistas. America the Theme Park! A Main Street, USA for the natural environment. The boring between removed to create a Las Vegas casino’s version of the great American landscapes, a miniaturised Grand Canyon thrust up against snowy Mount Rainier sat flush against Crater Lake. It was the America of the collective consciousness, of disaster movies, all scale and potential and awe.

I quite liked it.

The Crew aims to do the same, only with more detail, more landmarks, and a multiplayer infrastructure that should hopefully provide you with something to do over with such a large expanse. That’s where Fuel fell down.

You can sign up to The Crew beta now. It doesn’t begin until July 23rd, which should give you almost enough time to remember your uPlay account password.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. The Random One says:

As the Only Person Wot Loved FUEL, I am very excited about this.

Also, “sarc”? Has my English failed me again or are you on a nickname basis with the elemental concept of sarcasm?

• Edawan says:

As the Only Person Wot Loved FUEL
      I know the game didn’t sell crazy numbers, but I remember some rather positive words on here, and I also enjoyed my time in that game.

sonofsanta says:

Only person, pfft. FUEL was ace. It was a less SF version of Mass Effect 1 for me, based wholly around the objective of “how do I get this ground-based vehicle to climb that ridiculous mountain”. Great times.

2. Myrdinn says:

I’d like to try this, but uPlay is required. Guess I’ll pass.

• The Random One says:

uPlay? LUXURY! In FUEL we had to use GfWL – and we’d like it!

…is what I’d say if I hadn’t played it on the 360.

• neolith says:

My thoughts exactly.

3. spamenigma says:

I tried to signup but the ubisoft website seems to have issues.. it also said I needed to change password giving this captcha.. now I’m confused what to put! https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37839396/captcha-fail.PNG

• spamenigma says:

Site didn’t accept anything, so I refreshed the page to start over and got this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37839396/captcha2.PNG guessing I wont be signing up anytime soon!

• bjohndooh says:

I had the same issue. Tried a few times, gave up, and then noticed the password reset in my email five minutes later. I didn’t think it worked at all but it eventually did.

• Nova says:

Even logged in I can register again and again, but nothing seems to happen. I don’t get a confirmation email.

• LaundroMat says:

I seem to remember the page after you registered mentions that you’ll be getting an email before the 27th – i.e. not immediately.

4. Kollega says:

Damn, this actually looks pretty good… hopefully it will be on Steam or something, because while I have no gripes against Uplay, not having the game in front of my eyes (i.e. in my Steam favourites list) will probably mean I’ll forget about it in a month or two. And I’ll also need to get more RAM and a 64-bit Windows for this and other new-gen games, because I doubt that this huge map will run on 4 gigs of RAM. So yeah… there’s a sizeable chance of me not playing this despite wanting to.

5. Simes says:

I hope the AI in this game is better than the AI in TDU2, which would just teleport past stationary obstacles if they couldn’t find a way round, including, at the beginning of a race, you.

Martel says:

Is this one going to have just open driving? That looks very pretty but I find myself preferring to just drive vs race.

7. tvcars says:

Being Ubisoft I’m mainly concerned about the DRM they may impose on their vapourware titles. Which unfortunately is why I’ll never buy any of their releases.

sonofsanta says: