Stay On Target: Sniper Elite 3 Multiplayer Trailer

By Graham Smith on June 11th, 2014 at 5:00 pm.

'This looks like a nice place to stop for some sandwiches'.

I find Sniper Elite‘s fascination with face-breaking slow-motion bullet impacts somewhat grotesque, because I’m exactly the kind of hand-wringing, self-loathing videogame journalist the internet commenters warned you about. That doesn’t mean I don’t like the core idea of hunkering down behind some crumbling buildings, fearing for my life and timidly scanning the treeline for fascists. It only means I’d rather play Sniper Elite V2′s multiplayer, where pace necessitated fewer lovingly rendered shots of severed bollocks and where the presence of other players created far greater tension.

Good news, then! Not only am I getting to the point of this news story, but the point is this: Sniper Elite 3 expands the series’ multiplayer offering considerably, and there’s a trailer below.

Moving its setting to North Africa, Sniper Elite 3 aims to have much larger, more open levels than its predecessors. The mechanical thrills remain the same, mixing necessary stealth with the perverse satisfaction of the long-range sniper kills, but I’m glad that we might get more choice in how to approach situations this time. Multiplayer aside, Sniper Elite V2 was little more than solid, and faulty AI and linear, corridor-shaped levels quickly crushed what fun I hoped to glean from the campaign.

The game’s out on June 27th, which is barely more than seconds away.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. WinTurkey says:

I picked up V2 when it was being given away for free on Steam. Is the MP there still alive? Might try it out

• Craig Pearson says:

It is. It’s worth playing for the silly tension, though the spawns are hateful and everyone will seem like a better shot.

• Syra says:

I got it when it was free too, the campaign seems like it has potential but the maps basically funnel you down linear paths and become a frustrating mess. Also seems to be infinite enemy respawns on higher AI difficulty levels which is serious facepalm in a stealth game with limited combat options.

The multiplayer has interesting tension and could have been good, but what the hell is with all the maps having an impassable line down the middle of them? Why give land mines and trip bombs and pistols if you can’t actually sneak around and flank the enemy? It turns into a crapshoot basically whoever sets up in a good position first sneaks away with a big lead and then it gets a bit tedious.

2. Tayh says:

Too much COD, not enough stealth.

I’d really love to see a more slow-paced sniper game that was more about stealth, strategy and relocation rather than another Generic Shooter #375 with a slight marksman/sharpshooter angle.

EDIT:
    To clarify, I’m talking about the multiplayer aspect here.

• ZappaBappa says:

I’m sure aslong as you sneak, it’s gonna be tough for anyone to find you. The maps look pretty massive, and if you’ve played V2 before, you know how easy it is to take down a machine gun soldier. They’ll be the bait to lure out the sniper. It’s looks perfect

• rapier17 says:

Sounds like you want the first Sniper Elite. I played V2 on my friends PS3 and was immediately put off when I found that I couldn’t pick my own route but I had to encounter opponents whether I liked it or not. I used to thoroughly enjoy working my way through the maps in Sniper Elite on the hardest difficulty trying not to alert the AI – I would spend long periods of time just watching sentry patterns and working out when best to take the shot, even delaying until there was a handy artillery barrage to mask the sound of the shot. Plus the atmosphere and tension were brilliant.

Used to play loads of multiplayer with said friend when he had SE on his PS2 – going past the Reichstag as the Germans & Russians fought it out, clearing out the camp for Karlshorst Reprise and assassinating Martin Bormann with several tons of plastic explosive and one well placed bullet – even now we still talk about what we did in that game years ago, with the same glee and joy we experienced at the time. I fear V3 will be just as bad as V2.

3. CookPassBabtridge says:

Thanks Graham your alt text just made me feel REALLY sad for the guy who just wanted some nice sandwiches ;_;

4. Tei says:

*CRINGE*
    That screenshot shows a excesive use of ambient occlusion.

• Geebs says:

Yup, doing a distance – based cutoff for AO is one line of shader code and should be enforced on pain of defenestration

5. Arglebargle says:

Is it really Sniper-ish if you could bean that guy with a rock?

6. Hensler says:

A game where everybody plays sniper and camps constantly? But I already bought Battlefield 4…