A Free Spike Joint: VVVVVV – Make And Play Edition

By Adam Smith on June 12th, 2014 at 2:00 pm.

The noisE3 is dying down and we’re returning to some semblance of normality. That means I might actually find time to play some games on this here computer rather than watching hundreds of trailers and livestreams about games that I probably won’t dabble with even when they are released in December 2015. It also means I can take a moment out of my day to report some jolly good news from Camp Cavanagh. The designer of fiendish musical masterpiece Super Hexagon has released a free version of his acclaimed spike-dodger VVVVVV and it’s available now for Windows, Mac and Linux.

VVVVVV: Make And Play Edition doesn’t include the game’s lovely narrative or Terry’s original levels, but it does contain the editor and a selection of player constructions. There’s an editor tutorial here and an example of the kind of cruel tests you should force people to endure in the video below.

Not a fucking chance. Terry says this:

Let’s start with what I consider the really important thing – inspired by things like Knytt Stories and DROD: Architect’s Edition, I’m releasing a special build of VVVVVV on Windows, Mac and Linux today. It’s called VVVVVV: Make and Play Edition, and it’s completely free. This version of the game only includes the player levels and the level editor – which means that, from now on, the tools to make and play VVVVVV player levels are completely free.

“Start with”? What else? Ports!

VVVVVV is now available on iThings and Android devices, including the OUYA.

, , , , .

1. Taidan says:

Terry Cavanagh confuses me. Part of me wants to shake his hand, buy him a drink, give him a hearty slap on the back and compliment him over and over.

The other part wants to violently strangulate him while screaming “Veni-Vidi-Vici-Hexagon” over, and over, and over…

Lexx87 says:

I love VVVVVV – especially the music.

Veni Vidi Vici is easy compared t the very last Super Hexgon level – which is just insane.

• mechabuddha says:

I must say, after hours of Veni Vidi Vici, my gaming reflexes have improved drastically. I also used to get quite a bit angry at frustrating parts of games. Veni Vidi Vici taught me to stay calm, and I am no longer an angry gamer. Thanks, VVVVVV!

This advertisement was brought to you by SPIKES.

• Pliqu3011 says:

[Super Hexagon spoilers?]

And the last Super Hexagon level is easy compared to what comes after it. Madness.

[/spoilers]

And yes, Veni Vidi Vici is not _that_ hard, honestly.

Lexx87 says:

By Last Super Hexagon level…I meant the Last Last.

The last level isn’t too bad. But the Last Last?

Wow

• BooleanBob says:

As someone who can’t last more than 20 seconds on Hexagonest, I can only say:

fuck

• Stephen Roberts says:

I dearly love that the seventh level of super hexagon shows us that we’ve been playing with guides on the whole time. It just strips you down to nothing. It’s brilliant.

• PinothyJ says:

My save game magically disappeared from VVVVVV so I was forced to do that all again last night: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=270109306

Squee…

Oozo says:

Incidentally, SoulEye also just released a METAL version of VVVVVV (logically called MMMMMM). It even comes with a mod that lets you replace the original OST with hairmetal renditions of the same tunes!

I don’t know if it’s more of a joke or something that I needed in my life. Probably both. Anyway, there it is: http://www.souleye.se/m

PS Actually, it’s not half-bad. At all. Speaks to the power of the original tracks that they sound great in such different forms (the piano renditions were also excellent).