Nothing But The Rain: EVE Valkyrie E3 trailer

By Graham Smith on June 13th, 2014 at 9:00 am.

This pilot's almost out of Starluck.

One of the things people were most excited about at this year’s E3 was getting new information about the Oculus Rift. It’s turned out news of the virtual reality headset was fairly thin on the ground, other than a reiteration of things we already knew: a consumer version likely won’t come till the end of next year, and that the company continues to use Facebook’s billions to hire every living engineer.

If you were disappointed there wasn’t more, then comfort yourself with this new trailer for EVE Valkyrie. The Rift game from CCP is set within the EVE Online universe, is about quick, arcade-style dogfighting, and is being co-published by Oculus. Find that new trailer below.

Unfortunately, while any new footage of Valkyrie is welcome, this doesn’t show much more than the EVE Fanfest trailer released last month. Still, it’s spaceships and pew-pew, and while I can play Elite: Dangerous right now – and have, and am, and I enjoy it – Valkyrie is still on my most wanted list. I’ve played it twice using the original Rift devkits, and it’s a whole different experience to play a three-dimensional dogfighting game in a world where you can easily look up. Seriously.

CCP Games were one of the original Oculus Rift Kickstarter backers, and Valkyrie began life as a prototype developed by a small team at CCP’s Icelandic office using the devkits they first received. It made such a splash at Fanfest in 2013 that CCP began pursuing it as a full development project, being made predominantly at their offices in Newcastle. Its development has supposedly been unaffected by recent layoffs, which saw the the cancellation of their World of Darkness MMO, and a further 49 layoffs just last week.

If you need more spaceships in your life, you can read Nathan’s hands-on impressions of EVE Valkyrie and his interview with its designers, or read our recent substantial look at EVE Online and the newly announced Project Legion from EVE Fanfest 2014.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Stephen Roberts says:

While I love the thrill of flying in games, this looks pretty thin on the ground for ‘things to do’. Dogfighting can turn into one big circle of trying to get on the target’s tail and it never looks like fun. Part of why I took to flying in Planetside 2 is because of the ability to hover and fly backwards that adds a much needed dimension to dog fighting. This video was ‘lock missiles, chase, lead on target with autocannon shots’. ‘Repeat’. Yeah, you’re gunna have to make something with more depth than that. It’s a concern I have for all the prospective new space games that are coming out (with first person flying, I guess).

The Occulus Rift does not transfer to youtube well either. I’m sure this is amazing with the headset on but looks like it’s filmed by taping a camera to a bobble head dog.

Cinek says:

that adds a much needed dimension to dog fighting. – funny, cause where Star Citizen added that – vast majority of people complained about “turrets in space”, how it feels “wrong”, nothing like a space combat, how it’s nothing like WW2, and so on, and so on….

Harlander says:

Did they really say it’s “nothing like WW2″? I know space dogfighting is often kinda inspired by your Battle of Britain airfighty malarkey or suchlike, but I didn’t realise Star Citizen had officially said “yeah, that’s what our dogfighting’s gonna be like”…

Cinek says:

People found some old quote where the Roberts guy said it’ll be inspired by WW2… or something like that. I don’t remember the details right now. But in general – it already is, they got maximum speed of a fighters exactly like the one fighters had in WW2, so personally: I don’t see a problem.

• Asurmen says:

There’s a bit of a difference between how PS2 does its flying backwards and hover, and how scary does it though.

Cinek says:

I never said there isn’t one :) PS2 got some weird arcade model mixed with repulsors, Star Citizen has 6DoF Newtonian physics.

• Vin_Howard says:

Yah, SC has a pretty wonky flight control system, what with SUPER YAW, various rotating thrusters (that are simulated to the point in causing a realistic delay in flight controls), and semi-auto aiming guns (wish they would make it fully auto aiming, since the current system is annoying).

Can’t tell how _good_ of a system it is, though, until I get a good deal of hours playing against other players.

• Svant says:

I am the opposite, I hate the dumb dogfighting that Planetside 2s get because of the hover and poor forward speeds. 90% of the time it turns into 2 people hovering in place. Though I guess if the game engine could handle faster speeds it would work better and they could give a diving aircraft extra speed.

Give me forward momentum that needs to be take care of to make sharp turns or maintaining the speed.

Cinek says:

“90% of the time it turns into 2 people hovering in place” – in Planetside 2? The MMO shooter from Sony? Really? I don’t recall last time when I seen 2 people hovering in place and shooting each other yet alone seeing this “90%” you’re talking about.

Cinek says:

They still refuse confirming PC version?

3. Ludomation says:

Attention space game developers: Is it too much to ask to film someone who knows how to fly the flamin’ ship! This is almost as bad as the Star Citizen demo pilot.

• Atrocious says:

Yes, either the controls are very wonky or this guy/girl doesn’t know how to control the ship. Makes the whole thing look more boring than it should.

4. roryok says:

“then grab your gun and bring in the cat”

Cinek says:

Is it just me or ships constantly swing left and right on that video?

6. SquareWheel says:

What’s with the really spammy ads below the article? Celebrity gossip isn’t very related to shooty spaceship games.

7. Calculon says:

The issue I have with this game is – ‘So What?’

So what if i get to circle around and play pew pew dog fight? What’s the larger context? What am I gaining or losing? What objective am I attempting to add or detract from? Is it a series if silly missions with little/no impact or import?

Now – if they chose to add this to EVE (…breath, read the whole sentence first) so that Valkyrie pilots could launch from player character ships (ie: Carriers and Super carriers) then that is something I could sink my teeth into (provided there is more to it than just launch, fight, survive/die). There is ‘lore’ in EVE that the Carrier Fighter Pilot and Fighter Bomber ship classes are piloted rather than autonomous.

Not sure the direction they are thinking of going but the context of the dog fighting is important.

Cinek says:

Just think of it as a Counter Strike of space games.

CS doesn’t have any lore, large context, gains or loses – you just go there and shoot. Perhaps do some e-sports. And that’s pretty much all. Same thing here.

8. herschel says:

Underwhelming.

• Flank Sinatra says:

I guess it’s kind of hard to sell a game for the Oculus Rift when the Rift won’t be commercially available for another year and a half. I’m getting increasingly frustrated every time I read “OMG! you HAVE to try this on the Rift right now!!!,” when I really can’t. Shut up and make the damn thing, then you can sell it to me!
      (sorry.. guess I’m suffering from E3 hype burnout. I need a nap. Wake me up when it’s Q1 of 2016.)

9. Axess Denyd says:

Where did you hear end of next year for the Rift? Most stuff I hear assumed early 2015.