Flowing Traffic: Steam Greenlights Another 75 Games

By Graham Smith on June 13th, 2014 at 10:00 am.

MORE GAMES. MORE GAMES.

“Hmm? What’s that?” Valve spins around its chair, suddenly noticing the noise. “E3 just happened and we didn’t release any trailers for far away, in-development games? Right. Yeah, I guess you’re right about that.” Valve reaches over and pulls a rusting level by its desk. *k-k-k-thunk* Seventy-five new games have been greenlit, making their way through the community voting process to now have the right to release and sell their games through the service. This batch includes ADOM, Northern Shadow, The Hit, and a ton more obscure games.

These large batches of Steam Greenlight games have become so routine now that it’s almost no longer news, but even as the marketplace becomes more crowded, gaining the ability to sell your games to Valve’s enormous audience is still a big deal to developers. There are a lot of people who are only willing to buy games that appear on the service, and far more who might not ever even hear of your game if it doesn’t show up on the frontpage of the Steam store.

Being greenlit doesn’t mean that these games are immediately available to buy, of course. Many are still in-development projects, and securing access now just means the developers can be confident they’ll be able to sell their work through Steam when they’re ready. It’ll be weeks, months or even years before games from this latest batch begin to appear in the store.

You can find the full list of greenlit games attached to the Steam news post, and I recommend you spend some time flipping through. Each one has a linked page with a description, screenshots and most have a trailer, and there’s always unheard of gems in the mix.

, , , , , .

Arvind says:

Took my game (Will Fight for Food) 652 days to get Greenlit. The best thing I can say about the experience was that I got in before you had to pay a 100 dollars for it.

But hey, hopefully the doors will open soon and nobody else will have to deal with this broken system :)

JB says:

Yeah, we wouldn’t want it to cause….Unrest

*tee-hee*

Arvind says:

A typical pun thread – I should have known :P

• 2Ben says:

Arviiiiiiind ! Ahhhh, the one only one!
          So when is the next update huh? Just love Unrest’s newsletters, make my day every time.

• Gilead says:

Although if the doors open we will also have to deal with an increasing number of broken games.

• Jason Moyer says:

I don’t understand this sort of complaint. Do you buy everything that releases on Steam or something?

• Gilead says:

I do impulse buy games sometimes if they look good and if they’re on sale, and I like looking at the new releases to see if there’s anything interesting I should look into if I haven’t already heard of it. A mass of shovelware doesn’t improve my user experience when I’m trying to do either of those things.

An alternative is for me to stop impulse buying games on Steam and to no longer bother to look at the new releases section. I’m not saying opening the floodgates will lead to the demise of PC gaming, I’m just saying that it’s likely to make me personally browse Steam less and probably buy fewer games from that service than I currently do, unless they rework their storefront to take account for the increased new game spam.

• kalirion says:

You should never “impulse buy” something without at least doing the slightest bit of research (check game’s Steam forum/discussions page, glance at Steam user reviews, google.)

• The Random One says:

It appears that your ‘problem’ is that you’ll no longer spend money on games you didn’t want to buy anyway.

• sabasNL says:

There are quite some cases of vaporware, false advertising and scam at it’s most literal definition.
          Valve needs to ensure quality and customer protection within the Steam Store. Opening the doors wide-open will be like hell. If your game is good, it will be Greenlit, and it will sell. If any game, program, or piece of garbage can be sold through Steam, it’ll destroy the store and the Steam community.

Compare the Apple Appstore with the old Android Market (before Play Store, Google does regular checks now). The first is a place of quality apps (albeit overpriced perhaps), the latter was full of crap.

Valve doesn’t want to enforce very strict policies like Apple does, but it is adjusting it’s opinion like Google was forced to do: An open store is not a good store. The owner has to keep it in check *somewhat*.

• teije says:

The Apple app store is sadly full of knock-off crap (paid and “freemium”) too these days. It’s becoming harder to find quality games in all the dross, and their categorization is inept. That’s why I rely on Pocket Tactics to do the tough job of wading through the muck in search of good games.

• lyralamperouge says:

No, but I do have to sift through everything in order to determine what to buy. Broken or shitty games are in the way.

• Yglorba says:

It is useful, as a buyer and player, to be able to associate a consistent baseline level of quality with games sold on Steam, especially indie games which often have little written about them and therefore little other way to gauge their quality.

Developers complain about how hard it is to get into Steam, but consider it from the other side: Why are they so eager to get into Steam? Obviously gamers are more willing to buy an indie game on Steam than they are elsewhere. And the reason for that, I think, is at least in part because Steam is seen as something of a seal of quality. It makes your game seem official and gives it a ‘value’ that you don’t get if you’re just selling it via paypal off your website.

• Crafter says:

The problem here is more that Steam as a store is not that great. Apart from the top sales (and even there, I think War-Z has been able to get in the top 10 at some point), there in no good way to surface the games you might enjoy.
        However, since Steam is by very far the dominant digital store-front, I am all for this change of tactics. It is problematic when a single actor can decide which game will find success.

• frightlever says:

If you’re on Steam and obscure, it’s still better than not being on Steam and being virtually invisible to the majority of the paying public. If you’ve made a great game people will find out about it anyway, but until you’re on Steam there’re less likely to buy it.

• Baines says:

War Z was a top seller at release and for a few days afterwards. I want to recall that it was *the* top seller for that period. While Valve sat around ignoring complaints as the media firestorm grew, the game itself continued to sell, racking up additional money for both Hammerpoint and Valve.

• Dr I am a Doctor says:

yea man 100 dollars is such a huge amount of money!!

• Terragot says:

*Waits for Rob to appear…*

Arvind says:

What I meant to say was: if I had to be on the receiving end of hundreds of “your game sux”-style comments, I’d rather I didn’t pay a 100 dollars for the privilege.

• sabasNL says:

Maaan 100 USD is such a huge amount, how am I ever going to make a profit by selling my game through Steam, surely that’s impossible!?

• JFS says:

What’s with this trolling?!

• Ahtaps says:

“Maaan, $100USD is such a large amount. However will I make a profit from buying just the privilege to be put into a voting system with thousands of other games, just like mine, hoping that somehow my game will be visible in the crowd and then waiting an indeterminate amount of time of not making any money before my game may or may not secure a place in the top 75. If it eventually gets Greenlit, hopefully those people that voted for my game actually then buy it in enough numbers that I can make that amount back plus all the money I invested in creating and marketing the game and then start earning profit from it.”

Is what you were actually trying to say right? Before it got garbled in its passage through the Troll Zone?

Martel says:

Not sure what’s with the angry trolls this morning, but I would like to congratulate you on getting greenlit.

• Detrian says:

The game doesn’t look that good so I think the system works just fine.

2. frightlever says:

Oh, Sheltered, from that RPS article yesterday (I think), got Greenlit.

3. Danda says:

The only one I know is THE WAY, because I supported their Kickstarter!

Many of them look truly amateur.

4. StranaMente says:

The sea will claim everything has also been greenlit finally!

5. Lanfranc says:

The Rick Future game looks quite nice, actually. Very nicely animated adventure game.

6. Lemming says:

No Spud’s Quest still :(

• TheBuff1 says:

I know it’s scandalous!! I thought loads of people would want a great Dizzy clone, especially after the Kickstarter failure of a proper Dizzy…fools.

7. Moraven says:

And Air Control still exists on Steam…

Dev responses to negative reviews.

Quote:
    Problem is in your pc, that is why you cannot run the game.

You cannot run the game cause of problems with your pc.
    We tested it during a month. This game worked on all the computers of our testers.

At first, this review was made on weak computer.
    Secondly I want to say you guys that this guy who recorded review did not read about game controls and that is why airplane fell down in the end.

This review was written by developer to clarify some moments.

8. Faxanadu says:

COMPLETELY UNRELATED EXCEPT STEAM: Where’s RPS coverage about the new streaming function? I found an RPS article about the beta from january, but I’d really like to know if it’s any good right now? :p I want to play Just Cause 2 on my shitty laptop.

JB says:

Off-topic, I love your name/avatar. Brings back a lot of great memories!

• kalirion says:

I played some Borderlands on my shitty laptop over a 65mbps(max) wifi and it ran fine at the native 1368×768 resolution.

neofit says:

So, 70 more “Adventure, Indie, Casual” pieces of crap to pollute the Store page, and 5 Early Access thingies that will never reach release stage ;) Yawn.

• tsff22 says:

Honestly, the only one that interests me in this batch is ADOM.