Ordinary People: Unrest Demo Released

By Adam Smith on June 16th, 2014 at 11:00 am.

I’ve been following the development of Unrest for a long time. An RPG set in ancient India, with fantasty flourishes, the game received Kickstarter funds to the tune of $36,251 this time last year. It’s the story of five people “who are struggling to get by in the in the famine-stricken city-state of Bhimra”. Decisions are based around political and social upheaval rather than wearing one shiny belt instead of another, and Pyrodactyl promise complex branching conversations. The game is out on July 23rd and a demo is available right now.

One of the most intriguing features is the continuance of stories following the death of seemingly integral NPCs. The narrative will even continue if player characters die. Expect a game of long-term consequences, many of which will no doubt be invisible during a brief demo. But at least you should be able to figure out if this is your cup of Darjeeling.

, , , , .

1. baby snot says:

Demo available anywhere else?

• Adam Smith says:

Not yet, unless I’ve missed it. Might well be available on the official site, linked in the first paragraph, but hasn’t been uploaded there yet as far as I can see.

Arvind says:

Developer here: Everything is uploaded on my end, I think Steam is having one of it’s issues. I’ll try to set up a manual download ASAP.

EDIT: Steam downloads have started working, I think. Issues with Valve’s content delivery thingamajig, I think.

2. Orija says:

I find it really hard to justify spending money on what looks worse than an RPGMaker game. But on the other hand, graphics don’t make the game. Music is rather nice as well.

• AngoraFish says:

I guess it will depend on how much it will be. Can’t see a price on Steam yet.

edit: $15 on the developer site, which is stretching it for me as much as I’d like to support this type of thing.

• karthink says:

That price makes me go “Eh, it will be in a bundle in six months anyway”.

But then I’m not really taken by the setting or the trailer.

• Brinx says:

To me it mostly depends on how much I get out of a game. For $15 I can buy roughly two movies on DVD, which comes out at about four hours of fun. And seriously, I get more out of most games for the same price. (If you want to approach it in such a calculated way.)

• DrollRemark says:

If only there were some way of trying out a small sample of the game without paying for it!

• JFS says:

What’s wrong with the art? It has a nice hand-drawn feel to it.

3. MuscleHorse says:

Looks lovely. Always nice to see an RPG outside the stagnant Western elves and trees or Eastern spiky hair and underaged girls.

4. Talesdreamer says:

The graphic is… Ugh. Like they wanted to go all artsy but they didn’t really know much about art in the first place. The style is nice, the execution not so great.
    However, the plot left me intrigued and I love complex dialogues. I’ll give the demo a try.

• falconne says:

What’s wrong with the art style? I thought it looked nice, for an indie game.

Rizlar says:

This does indeed look really interesting. Downloading the demo now.

Nobody expects the Naga Ambassador!

6. Dorga says:

Backed it on Kickstarter. I’ve seen Jaipur, and the idea of a small indipendent studio based there seemed too good not to give a little help.

7. Zanchito says:

Any games using a setting other than “generic western culture” are interesting to me, I’ll try the demo during the weekend! Best wishes for the project.

Arvind says:

Thanks for the positive comments everyone :)
    A big :( on reading the negative ones though :/

• 2Ben says:

Don’t let it get to you, there’s no pleasing everybody! If anything, Spiderweb willingly produces games that are low-graphics, and are usually well beloved my RPG fans.
      Solid, interesting stories are what I buy RPGs for.

Arvind says:

Thanks! I usually don’t let it get to me, and I just hope people try the demo instead of dismissing it in one glance. Ultimately, player reaction has to be respected though.

• karthink says:

I will be trying the demo, and I don’t doubt Rutskarn’s writing chops.

But neither the trailer nor the KS campaign really grabbed me.

Arvind says:

That’s completely fine, of course. I don’t expect the game to be everyone’s cup of tea.

Rizlar says:

The negative comments seemed to be because they didn’t like the art. But having played the demo a bit now I can see that it suits the game perfectly! (note: was playing in a window at the default resolution)

Character animations in the dialogue windows are particularly nice. The characters are just really nicely observed and animated. There are lots of details, the environments are all actually really well put together for the purposes of playing the game while still being convincing and full of character. The art is all clearly original and not just derived from existing stuff. And the style, simplified while still based in realism, works perfectly in letting you immerse yourself in the world and the story.

Honestly I just think people take for granted how much skill goes into making something that functions well. I much prefer the art in Unrest to certain other isometric-viewpoint games where nothing quite feels like it fits together properly. And I’ve just been talking about the art, not the story or the game mechanics, which seem like the focus of the game, or the music, which is also great.

Arvind says:

Glad you liked it :)

LegendaryTeeth says:

I wonder if some animated gifs as promo art would help people, if the screen shots don’t look great to some eyes, but the animation really sells it.

Backed the KS and just waiting for the release though, so I’m already sold.

Arvind says:

Animated GIFs are a pretty great idea, now I feel silly for not having the same thought. Thanks a bunch! :)

LegendaryTeeth says:

Happy to help, just looking forwards to the final game :)

9. racccoon says:

MOON WALKERS NOW IN A GAME :)