Ode To Joy: Peggle Free On Origin

By Alice O'Connor on June 17th, 2014 at 3:00 pm.

Ping those pegs! Experience that fever!

Do we really like any of this stuff? We are doing it all ironically, yeah? I mean, guns and shooting and murder and spaceships and walking and wacky physics and animals and Simulators, it’s all a bit much, isn’t it? I’m only doing this because it’s rubbish, yeah?

Perhaps we should think about the affected ‘irony’ that curtain-twitchers insist ruins modern culture, but we can be certain we’re not lost as long as we have Peggle. PopCap’s game has a unicorn and rainbows and a choir and it is lovely and wonderful and brilliant, Alka-Seltzer for irony–ping ping fever and you’re back experiencing joy. If you don’t already own it, it’s briefly free on Origin.

Peggle’s the third game free in Origin’s ‘On the House’ promotion, which is probably as much about winning over the people who swear Origin ruins video games and they’ll never install it as it is introducing new people to the digital store. So far they’ve given away Battlefield 3, Dead Space, and Plants vs. Zombies, which are an attractive enough spread of freebies.

Personally I’m perfectly happy having another store client sit on my colossal hard drive, not doing anything until I play one of the few games that require it. Yes, it’s a bit daft that publishers started trying to have Their Own Steam after they saw Valve’s success. It’s unlikely we’ll see them back down any time soon though, and bless ‘em, they’re not really hurting anyone, off in their own little worlds playing with their toys. Unless their stores and DRM go wonky and render games unplayable, of course. Origin can still struggle with that one when big games launch.

But

PEGGLE!

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. vivlo says:

Yes, but still… is it worth going through the hassle of installing Origin ? And on a mac ?

• Chorltonwheelie says:

Not when it’s £4.45 on Steam.

• nu1mlock says:

Unless installing applications on a Mac is extremely annoying and time consuming (which it wasn’t when I had one, but that was about 5 years ago) then, yes? Of course, if you have no other games on Origin and aren’t interested in Peggle (not even for free) then I guess that’d be a few minutes wasted.

• Scratches Beard With Pipe Stem says:

Not on a Mac!
      Not on a PC!
      Oh EA, please let me be!

2. Ginger Yellow says:

They’re turning the iOS (and presumably Android) version into a F2P game and pulling the paid version, so maybe they figure they’ve nothing to lose by giving away the PC version.

Llewyn says:

I’m reminded of Michael Flanders’ comment on satire:

It’s often said that the purpose of satire is to strip away the veneer of comforting illusions and cosy half-truths. Our job, as I see it, is to put it back again.

4. Dave Tosser says:

But how many Peggles is it?

Oh, right. One.

• Tom Walker says:

It’s not! I just installed the version on Origin and it’s over two Peggles (I seem to remember it was 27 meg, right?)

5. Tom Walker says:

It is Yet Another Store Client and worse yet it’s the one from EA, but Origin is actually surprisingly efficient and unobtrusive. I can easily forgive its functional redundancy, on the strict condition that it give me free Peggle.

Hurrah!

• Deathmaster says:

How much did they pay you to say that?

phuzz says:

One Peggle.

Jalan says:

Mattresses just don’t fill themselves full of cash now, do they?

• Tom Walker says:

To say something slightly positive that includes the clause “worse yet it’s the one from EA”? Not a lot.

I say ‘efficient’ because it loads faster than Steam. Or it does on my machine, anyway.

• MartinWisse says:

The one thing that drives me to despair with Origin is that it insist on using Dutch in the shop when my language preferences are set to English.

• Deadly Sinner says:

My only issues with it is that I have to restart it to get games to launch sometimes and games in the store are always more expensive unless you order from Mexican Origin. Still not going to use it unless I have to.

6. acheron says:

Wasn’t there going to be a new Peggle at one point? What happened to that?

J. Cosmo Cohen says:

I believe it’s a Xbox One exclusive at the moment. If memory serves, of course.

7. MadTinkerer says:

Dear EA,

Releasing a game for free on Origin is not going to make me forget that I already own it on Steam. Or that you fucked up the sequel with microstransactions. Or that you are still calling it Origin.

You need to do better.

Regards,
    Someone who owns hundreds of EA games but hasn’t bought any for a few years.

J. Cosmo Cohen says:

Dear MadTinkerer,

Thank you for contacting EA. By invoking our name, even through text, you have given us permission to continue micro-transactioning your favorite games to death.

Your soul* has also been transferred to our Soul Bank, where we can, at any time and for any purpose, utilize it in a way that we deem fit, without your consent.

Thank you for contacting EA.

*If you’re a ginger, please disregard any mention of ‘your soul.’

8. Sidewinder says:

I would point out that nothing is actually done “ironically”. Using the term irony in that way is no different from doing something and calling it “satire”; all it’s really saying is “you can’t criticize me because I’m smarter than you”. It’s much like the schoolyard Everything-Proof-Shield.

I would point that out, but a bit more urgent is that apparently, after Battlefield 3, Dead Space, and Plants vs. Zombies, Peggle is the third game being released; indicating that EA has somehow changed how numbers work.

9. Michael Fogg says:

Don’t go thinking Peggle is for casuals. The challenge levels are some of the most extreme you can bounce into.

10. rocketman71 says:

Origin?. Not free then.

amateurviking says:

Well, I installed this this afternoon. It’s now midnight and I have just surfaced from the Peggle hole.

Hot damn that games is compelling.

12. Stephen Roberts says:

I’m not sure how, but I can simultaneously maintain that Super Hexagon, a game with only two inputs, is an exception master piece of a game, something transcendent and euphoric. And yet Peggle, with it’s limited ‘make a choice and then you watch things happen for a while’ will never truly be, in my estimation, worthy of anything other than consigning to the bin of mindless flash games that people play to chew through a tube journey, etc. In other words: I’ve paid twice to own Super Hexagon and bought it for friends. I won’t play Peggle for free.

13. Elevory says:

Better to buy on Steam or pirate, in my opinion.

14. Vinraith says:

The complaints about Origin are always funny. If you’re going to tolerate one piece of obtrusive bloatware (Steam) you may as well tolerate another, especially when it’s actually less obnoxious in many ways.

Anyway, always nice to get freebies, especially freebies as excellent as Peggle.

15. kaloth says:

This ‘on the house’ scheme started out really strong and has just been going down hill. Deadspace, BF3 (which I already had free from the great simcity fuckup of ’13), pvz, and now peggle. I’m wondering what’s down the food chain from peggle. I can’t see there being much below it.

I get what you’re trying to do, EA. You want more people to use your steam replacement. That’s cool. But if you’re going to try and persuade me using the virtual equivalent of free barmix, but still have the most run-down dive in town, don’t expect me to do much other than pop in, grab the barmix and be on my way to the nicer pub down the road.