Even Prices May Die: Magrunner Free In GOG Sale

By Alice O'Connor on June 18th, 2014 at 4:00 pm.

Hey friends, Abdul Alhazred here to tell you that the only thing madder me than me is our prices! So come on down to the Cyclopean Computer Crypt and begin your eternity of gaming.

“Well worth the price of admission,” our Jim said of first-person puzzler Magrunner: Dark Pulse. He had a few reservations, sure, a little dissatisfaction, yes, but overall enjoyed the charms of “Portal with magnets and Cthulhu.” If it was worth parting with your hard-earned money for, why, one would need to have their mind warped by exposure to impossible horrors to not get it for free.

As part of its big summer sale, GOG are offering Magrunner for free to lure people over to have a gander at all the shiny bargains it has lined up. The stars are only aligned for 24 hours, though, and at 2pm tomorrow the offer will escape through a crack in the world.

To grab it, head on over to GOG, sign in, and look on the main page for the big “Download Magrunner for FREE!” banner which should be near the top of the sales list. Clicking this pops you into a freebie queue, then you’ll get an e-mail once it’s added to your account.

While you’re there, though, the first three Thief games for $5.97 is a pretty great deal too. Or the first three Hitmens for $5.17. Or… see, dear reader, this is exactly what they wanted. You go to get something for free and they try to make you buy good video games. It’s appalling. An outrage.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Jigowatt says:

Well that’s weird. Just this morning I remembered this game and thought “I must pick it up if it’s in the Steam Summer Sale”!

(Also, an apostrophe has cunningly wormed its way into the word ‘bargains’ in the second paragraph. You might want to eradicate it before it causes some serious damage).

2. Evil Pancakes says:

This is how they get you.
    At first, you think just this once to get the cool free game. Then you see a sale for System Shock 2, and just this once you will part with your money. But then, they offer you all the (good) Fallout games for next to nothing. And then you see a D&D bundle you simply can’t pass up. Before you know, you will have a whole collection of fantastic games, completely DRM free, but not nearly enought free time to play them all. The horror, THE HORROR!!

• Michael Fogg says:

The problem is that the paypal account I loaded up for the next year of spotify subscription will suddenly only last me for the next 10 months.

• Bugamn says:

Fallout is out of GoG, but they did give it for free before saying goodbye.

I guess that after this sale I should stop buying new games.

• DelrueOfDetroit says:

Raptor: Call of the Shadow and Anachronox are now downloading alongside the freebie.

3. SillyWizard says:

MagRunner does have its moments. Some of the worst voice acting of all time, but for those of you for whom Amnesia et al. are too frightening, the fear factor in this game is right on. Scary enough to keep things tense, hokey enough that you’re unlikely to have a heart-attack while playing it.

4. Wedge says:

Hahaha I got the e-mail about this earlier and redeemed it not even looking at what the game was. Figured it was some minor obscure classic game based on the name, but I actually sort of remember this and am interested now. Already bought Sin Gold and Octodad off GOG’s sale too. Not much I’m waiting for on Steam other than hopefully 75% off Metal Gear Rising and maaaybe the Strider remake.

5. Darth Gangrel says:

This GoG sale is really good, but not good enough to get any of my money. That’s my fault, though, not GoG’s because I already have most of the games I want. Those that are left aren’t much better than what’s in my backlog, so I figure that I can get some of them next year. I’m also saving up for Steam’s summer sale, but I’m only slightly more willing to buy games there, since I have an even larger backlog of Steam games.

6. Lemming says:

I’d missed this game, and it does indeed look cool. However, as much as I like GOG’s resurrection of old games, I’d rather buy this on Steam so the devs get some money. £6.99 is fuck all, tbh.

7. lordfrikk says:

Spoiler: it sucks.

8. spectone says:

I have spent nearly a hundred dollars on this GOG sale so far. Hundreds of hours of playtime on classic CRPGs I can now safely add to my pile of shame.