Gun(two)point(zero): Gunpoint Gets New Engine, Mods

By Nathan Grayson on June 18th, 2014 at 10:00 am.

In a lot of ways, I feel like Gunpoint is what Watch_Dogs should’ve been. A game not about violence, but about getting around it using a bag of tricky tech tools, being fluid and improvisational like some kind of cyberpunk Bruce Lee. Your character is just a flimsy, doughy detective who goes flying out windows all the time. You have to be smart, not brutal. (Also the writing is actually good, so there.) If you still haven’t played it, there’s no better time than the present, seeing as it just got a spiffy new game engine and Steam Workshop support. See the full list of changes below.

You want new things? Well take them. Take them and deal with it. Have a wonderful time.

• New engine, implemented by Abstraction Games. Should fix many technical issues and make the game run faster for everyone, and it’ll enable us to develop Mac and Linux versions next.
  • Steam Workshop added, for browsing and sharing user-made levels. Yes, we listened to the 1,779 post petition you guys started even after we’d already announced we would do it.
  • Option to turn off swearing. Up to you whether this makes “Grow a ####ing #### and shove it up your ###” kid-safe.
  • Reconfigurable keyboard controls.
  • Vertical sync option. I didn’t know we needed this, but the folks at Abstraction added it and now the animation is at least 23% more beautiful.
  • Level editor. The level editor has been in there since launch, but some people still ask for one so I’m just going to keep announcing I’ve added it until everyone knows it’s there.
  • You can now place multiple elevators in a level without it crashing. That’s more than I could do when I was making the game, so I expect your levels to be at least twice as good as mine.
  • If you have any technical troubles with the new version, you can still use the old one by going to Properties > Betas and selecting ‘oldversion’. Post your issue on the forums too, so we can fix it.

So that’s nice, and it lays the groundwork for some fairly exciting stuff (or at least ports) in the future. The game is discounted to $2.50 or £1.50 right now, so have at it.

If you want more Tom-Francis-flavored goodness, the Gunpoint mastermind also just released Floating Point on Steam for free. It’s about grappling hooks, and it’s very relaxing. A soothing grappling hook dreamscape. Paradise, except you go “wheeeeeeeeeeeee” a lot.

, , .

1. Heliocentric says:

“Reconfigurable keyboard controls”
    PC gamings future, I’m call it right now.

c-Row says:

Madness, I say!

• MiniMatt says:

PC gaming has no future – the LaserDisc will be the final nail.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

You’re wrong. Current trends point to PC2 being 100% Cloud Based crossed with the “Let’s Play” medium.
        New episodes will be uploaded to The Cloud every day where a Charming Young Man enjoys a PC2. No more trouble with cables, drivers or hardware. Just a convenient subscription. A bright, strong future ahead for the format.

• Kein says:

I wanted to say something but couldn’t come up with anything that wasn’t said or implied.

2. rhubarb says:

An option to turn off swearing, but none to turn off the “Stop, stop, he’s already dead!”?

3. The First Door says:

Ah, the announcement about the level editor tickled me!

4. Drayk says:

I never saw the trailer. It’s brilliant and makes me want to play the game (currently it’s gathering dust in my steam inventory…)

5. 2Ben says:

Is the special edition with commentary worth it ?

• somnolentsurfer says:

Difficult to answer on your behalf really. Tom’s released mountains of information about his process in dev logs on YouTube. If you’re just casually interested there’s probably plenty to keep you going there. If you like him and are interested in what he has to say, then yes, totally worth it.

It’s also worth mentioning that he seems like a thoroughly nice chap, who’s actually thought through the ethics of all this kind of stuff. I preordered Gunpoint having already played it, ’cause he actually went to the effort of releasing a demo before the game came out. And if you buy the regular edition and later decide you want the commentary you can upgrade for the same price.

6. GAmbrose says:

Does it have controller support yet? If not will it ever?

I only game on the couch.

7. Quinnbeast says:

\o/ Face Puncher 2 \o/

8. Stardreamer says:

Looks like a larf. Sucker for stealthy game. Bought.

9. altum videtur says:

Ironically enough, while holding someone at gunpoint is an implemented and valid tactic in the game, you’re far better off not bothering with it.
    THE IMPLICATIONS ARE AS PROFOUND AS THEY ARE HORRIFYING
    WHAT WORLD DO YOU LIVE IN WHERE POINTING FIREARMS AT PEOPLE DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY MAKE REALITY SUPERIOR TO ITS PREVIOUS, NON-GUNPOINTED VERSION?!

10. Urthman says:

My favorite game in the “defenestration & gratuitous punching” genre.

• Grottismo says:

Non-native speaker, this brought on me a very enjoyable wikipedia ride

11. MadTinkerer says:

“New engine, implemented by Abstraction Games.”

This is even a possible thing now? I know 2D makes it easier than 3D, but Gunpoint was made in Game Maker. How is it even possible to swap out an engine for a proprietary file format? Do Abstraction Games just have that good an understanding of how Game Maker does things? Did Tom Francis perhaps rejigger a few thingummies to make them compatible under the hood? Technology!? How?!?

• Doppp says:

This. I want to know this too.

• LionsPhil says:

It rather concerns me that it may have changed the feel. I’ve yet to see.

Although I kinda hope the level editor actually works now.

• TechnicalBen says:

Coding is maths, logic and do/for loops etc. Thus read, and type in new engine. Take content/files/images/music and port/drag and drop.

Done (after a ton of work, but more easy than translating spoken language. At least “2″ is s 2 in Gamemaker and C#/++. Unlike “brother in law” or whatever that cannot be translated in some languages :P ).

12. Jalan says:

Inclusion in a Humble Bundle soon to follow, everyone waiting patiently for that to happen rejoices thoroughly.

phuzz says:

It’s only £1.50, come on, you can afford that surely? It’s less than half a pint.

• Jalan says:

I didn’t say anything to the sort, just that it will likely find its way into a bundle at some future point. Each time a big indie title gets an update like this it’s usually been a precursor to its appearance in one. But certainly not every time.

• The Random One says:

Really? I can’t think of a single occasion where this happened in the past…

• somnolentsurfer says:

I think multiplattform ports, rather than engine swaps.

• Jalan says:

Then your memory is rather selective (I don’t intend for that to be insulting or offensive and I realize phrasing it as a question does nothing to help that)?

It’s not as if it happens every single time or with every game at all but it has happened enough that updates that have direct mention of Mac and/or Linux versions forthcoming have been good indicators that the game will appear in a bundle in the future, just as much as the inclusions in bundles have yielded news of a similar nature (games getting engine changes (VVVVVV, to name one).

• Jalan says:

And it appeared in a Humble Bundle faster than I’d anticipated! Almost as if I were predicting the future. Of course it’s a “specialized” bundle, so there’s a flat price for it and no tiers. Either way, I don’t imagine this to be the last appearance Gunpoint will make in a Humble Bundle.

13. GenBanks says:

I ignored the game at release for some reason but got it today and am having fun with it… a bit of a sandbox feel to it, and it’s satisfying coming up with ideas for how to complete levels.

• TechnicalBen says:

Also I won’t spoil it… but it does have a interesting story… that motivates you to punch more people repeatedly… :P

14. The Random One says:

Obviously the reason I haven’t finished a three-hour game I bought three months ago is because I knew such an update would be forthcoming eventually. Now I can play it proper.

15. Emeraude says:

In a lot of ways, I feel like Gunpoint is what Watch_Dogs should’ve been.

That’s… yeah, I totally get that. Right way to put it too.