Feudal Rage: War Of The Vikings’ New Berserker Class

By Graham Smith on June 19th, 2014 at 4:00 pm.

What John did on his sabbatical.

Wouldn’t it be great to do something with such terrifying, trance-like fury that your performance creates a new word in a language you don’t even speak? Berserkers were Norse warriors that did exactly that. That means you might want to try them out in War of the Vikings, the melee combat multiplayer game. There’s a video of the freely available new class below, and I am going to embed that YouTube trailer with such uncontrollable rage that my name will echo throughout history.

Did it work? Where you are, Future Person, does “to go utterly Graham” now mean something cool? Please find a way to let me know.

To represent the Berserker’s fury in-game, the class has a new ‘Blood Rage’ trait in which they, when struck by a fatal blow, experience 10 seconds of (angry) grace during which they can endeavour to save their own lives by taking another. Essentially it’s the equivalent of something like Team Fortress 2′s Equalizer.

The new class is joined by three new maps, and a new Domination mode in which both teams must capture and hold points to deplete their opponent’s respawn tickets. Just like the real vikings.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Superpat says:

Seems potentially overpowered, but then I havent played the game so I cant tell.

• GeorgeTheJournalist says:

That’s what occurred to me to. It seems like Frenzy basically grants the Grahams 10 second immortality. I haven’t played this game either though, maybe someone better acquainted with it could elaborate?

• vahnn says:

I’ve played the game and have perhaps put 40 or so hours into it.

This class absolutely looks overpowered as hell. Just the speed at which he can attack with those powerful weapons is brutal enough, but from alternating sides, those 2-in-1 special attacks, and that bullshit frenzy thing? Screw that. I haven’t touched the game in almost two months, and I sure won’t be coming back to be mercilessly slaughtered now.

2. Phendron says:

Is this game any good? I remember the combat in War of the Roses being pretty dull.

• misterT0AST says:

I remember playing this one and going “How nice! The combat now feels really good instead of that clunky War of the Roses system!” But then for some reason I got tired of it after 2 or 3 matches only. I think the combat is nice though, I was probably just fed up with the genre in general since I played a lot of Chivalry and War of the Roses. Also I kind of dislike the choice to focus the background on Vikings and Saxons only, when the setting is more generic it’s easier to make up your own stories.

But the feel of the fighting is nice. I think.

3. symuun says:

“Wouldn’t it be great to do something with such terrifying, trance-like fury that your performance creates a new word in a language you don’t even speak?”

I’ve actually helped do this to the Russian language! “Feeder”.

4. Ross Angus says:

There’s no polite way to say this, sir, but your belly tattoo is NSFW.

• Max Planck says:

That just might be the most polite way of saying “you have two crudely drawn penises on your tummy and they are facing each other as if poised for a swordfight.”

5. steviebops says:

You’ve covered this game enough, maybe a review? Personally, I’m not a fan. It’s WotR , but less.

6. Polifemo says:

Do they have a “consume psychedelic mushroom/ enhiebriating drink” button? I like my berserkers like I like my depictions of moche human sacrifices: Hystorically accurate, with a touch of toothed squid god.

7. portchd says:

He also appears to have some crude penis design on his chest…

• Volcanu says:

Perhaps this explains why he’s so angry? Some little toerag spotted him snoozing in the longhouse and thought it would be humorous to decorate him thus….

8. Fenix says:

Funniest alt text yet? Probably..

Comment on this story