Steam Summer Sale Is Go, With Summer Adventure Madness

By Graham Smith on June 19th, 2014 at 6:00 pm.

GAMES.

Hide your wallets, shield your baby’s eyes: the Steam Summer Sale has launched. If you’re not familiar with it, this is the time of the year when Valve provide huge discounts to huge numbers of games, prompting everyone everywhere to buy games they might have missed at full price.

As normal, this year’s sale is split across different types and lengths. There’s the daily deals (today’s includes XCOM: Enemy Unknown, FarCry 3 and a nine more), the flash sales which last eight hours each (buy Mirror’s Edge), and the Community’s Choice in which users can vote on which of two sets of games should go on sale next. The latter also ties in with Steam’s system of badges, trading cards and other doozits, as every three votes you make gets you a Summer Adventure trading card.

That Summer Adventure is harder to explain. Trading cards can also be collected through the Steam market and as rewards for buying things. Ten trading cards can then be crafted into a badge. That badge gets you one in-game item, emoticon, profile background and a set of points. The points are then randomly assigned to a team when you hit a “Join a Team” button on the Summer Adventure page, and every day the team with the most points wins. 30 members of the team that contributed the most points that day will win three games from their Steam wishlist, while everyone else who contributed to that team will get two more Summer trading cards.

Somewhere in there is something about buying and playing videogames. I’m just not sure where.

Lastly of course, there’s the summer sales which are less time limited. Those are listed at the bottom of the Steam store page, and there’s currently a hundred games with varying levels of discount. Lichdom Battlemage is 40% off and I didn’t even know that game existed before now. “Lichdom Battlemage”. What a world.

It’s pretty hot in the UK right now, so I spent this afternoon working from a restaurant balcony, using spoonfuls of cheesecake as punctuation for the paragraph of the work day. Whether it’s hot or cold where you are, it’s always worth seeing if you can hot up your day with some cheap Steam games. Or cheap Summer sale GOG games. Really just games.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Gilead says:

Wow, I’m not sure how I’ll be able to resist that -15% on DayZ. That’s surely not going to be enough of a discount to entice anybody who didn’t already own it already.

• sweetjer says:

I don’t really follow this. I know someone who bought the game a couple days ago at full price.

• Baines says:

“-15%”, not “15%”. I assume one of Steam’s price display glitches.

• Gilead says:

So that person was willing to pay for it without any discount at all. Having a 15% discount as one of the high-profile daily deals on the first day of the Summer Sale seems kind of a waste — the person you mention didn’t need this discount in order to persuade them to buy it, and I wouldn’t have thought many people who didn’t already own it or weren’t prepared to buy it anyway would be prepared to make the leap based on such a small reduction.

jezcentral says:

Yeah, paying full price for a game that you actually play makes far more sense than getting 75% off and never playing it. :)

2. DanMan says:

There goes my sanity.

3. rexx.sabotage says:

Nice GOG-ly punctuation to end the article, I tip my fancy hat to you goodsirs.

4. Tom Walker says:

Time to cleanse my HDD of anything I’ve completed already. Kind of irksome how this process leaves me in a situation where all the games I still have installed are the ones that I don’t particularly want to play but keep telling myself I’ll finish one day.

Martel says:

Hah, I know how that feels.

jezcentral says:

Yeah, I did the same thing a couple of months ago. I set myself a limit of 80 games at any one time, and since then deleted three.

I now have 94 games installed, including CryEngine. Honestly, why don’t I sign up for some MMOs while I’m at it? I’ve got a wife and two young kids. It’s not as if I have time to play anything, anyway.

Oh well, five day LAN party next week (Leach LAN 11). That should help.

• Tom Walker says:

I think it comes from having spent my formative gaming years in the SNES/N64 era. You couldn’t buy anything for less than about £30, so once I decided on something, that was My New Game until the next Christmas/Birthday.

Now I can’t get it into my head that if a game cost me the price of a pint of beer and I got five hours of entertainment from it, it owes me nothing. I chose that game. I must see it all.

jezcentral says:

This is when I’m glad for games without achievements. I feel no guilt for not completing them. For example, I can have a jolly jaunt with Mirror’s Edge and then delete it and move on. The other games taunt me with their “You have 14 of 51 achievements”. Those bastards sit on my hard-drive for years. Each time I open Steam, I see them and think “One day I shall return for you,” but that day never comes. :(

• Tom Walker says:

Yup. Still though, listen to us with our First World Problems. “I just don’t have time for all the entertainment available to me! The pain!” Good luck with your cholera, African kids.

5. CookPassBabtridge says:

Dear Father Gabe

All year I have been very good and for Summer Sale I would like: OMSI2 @ 75% off, Wolfenstein @ 50% off, Next Car Game @ 66% off, GRID Autosport for cheaps, Spintires @ 50% at least

Anyone got any titles they are hoping for?

• HadToLogin says:

Wishes for Summer Sale 2015 should be done in 2015…

6. Taidan says:

Ooooh, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is only £3.74 today. And The Bureau:XCOM Declassified is £2.99.

Anybody got any feedback on those two?

• Tatty says:

First one lovely, second one not so lovely.

• Skiddywinks says:

Don’t buy The Bureau is all I know.

Just bought the XCom complete pack myself (£8 for Enemy Unknown and Enemy Within and some DLC). Awesome buy. I appreciate its not a TPS like TB but it seems like way better value going off what I have read.

• Hydraulic Meerkat says:

I thought The Bureau was pretty decent, all things considered. Glad i got it on sale before to see for myself.

• DanMan says:

Enslaved: If you like that type of game, you’ll enjoy it. Talking about it, the latest DmC is also very good, but less of an adventure and more of a brawler.

welverin says:

Really, anything by Ninja Theory is worth a play, Heavenly Sword being the other (that I know of), if you own a PS3 or emulator of it.

• Lemming says:

I concur with Tatty.

• frightlever says:

I know you’re not supposed to buy anything unless it’s in a Flash or Daily Deal, but can Odyssey really get MUCH cheaper? I bit. Thanks for pointing that out.

• Xocrates says:

The Bureau is a game that could be really good but isn’t.

It’s not bad per see (at least not terrible), but for every good idea there’s an annoyance attached. The combat can be particularly annoying since your squad has the survival instinct of a lemming and will frequently jump out of cover, but you’re too reliant on them to just let them die.

Storywise it’s a mess, again it has some interesting ideas, and in particular a rather neat bioshock-y twist, but it’s divided between being a XCOM prequel, an XCOM reboot, and its own thing, while failing to be either.

If there was nothing else on around, I would say that for that price it’s worth a punt for a playthrough on a lazy weekend, but you can probably do much better on the current sale.

• Plinglebob says:

I got Enslaved when it was released on the 360 and in a gaming scene filled with grey, its well worth £3.75 just to see some green!

7. timzania says:

I always find it curious when people in the UK say it’s hot, and I check the weather and do the conversion and it’s like 75 degrees out. Is this a running joke of which I am unaware? I’ll pay like 100 bucks this month to keep the indoor temperature around there; outside it’s around 34C and I don’t find that “hot” except in cars. The “hot” part of the year is 37-38 or more.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Whats the humidity where you are?

• timzania says:

We have RH of 59% today! Not to weather geek on you but that is a dewpoint of 70F, much wetter in an absolute sense than London’s 54F.

• Lemming says:

In Timzania, I believe there are two suns.

• CmdrCrunchy says:

I find myself sweating a lot at 25C, let alone 30C, acclimatisation and all that I guess!

• FurryLippedSquid says:

Acclimatisation indeed. I watch a show about the lifeguards on Bondi Beach and come August they’re all shivering in coats and scarves moaning about it being only 15C, ha!

• Darth Gangrel says:

Being Swedish, I find it pleasantly warm at 15-20 degrees Celsius. That dude Celsius is also Swedish, so all temperatures henceforth mentioned in this comment is in Celsius. I’d rather the temperature stays below 25, but sometimes it goes up to 30 degrees and that’s really don’t-want-to-go outside-hot. Unfortunately, it’s then also too hot to vent the room and bring in some fresh air. Like Brits, us Swedes also like to discuss the weather and this similarity (among others) is probably why I like RPS so much. Also, games.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Plus it’s not very good for our pet polar bears when it’s above 15C.

• Lemming says:

Unsurprisingly, humans get used to certain temperatures (within a set margin) depending on their climate. 22 degrees c (room temperature) is considered comfortable for human beings and certainly is for the British, but that may as well be a snowdrift to an Aussie.

In Britain we have a ‘mild’ climate, which in reality means it swings between too hot, too wet and too cold for most of us (Although relative to other more extreme countries, it is mild), hence the great British pastime: Discussing the weather.

Additionally, many like myself tend to wear jeans all-year round and then wonder why we are sweating into a bucket during June-August, but as a nation we are overall pleased for the respite from a large heating bill for those precious three months, and will insist on having a BBQ at least once a week whether it’s raining or not. We also spend large amounts of our free time in summer stuck in very hot cars in traffic in order to go a few miles down the road. That time between leaving your house, spending four hours on the road, an hour at the destination, and four hours back again is called a ‘holiday’.

• Xocrates says:

I once had a discussion on twitter with John Walker because he kept saying stuff like “it’s as hot as the surface of the sun” while describing a mild spring day.

• dE says:

On the flipside, I can stroll around in short pants and t-shirt when you’re already dressed in several layers of clothing and feel like the world is freezing over.

• Drake Sigar says:

Think of Brits as snowmen, we have a cold unfeeling outer shell but it doesn’t take all that much to make us melt.

• defunct says:

When you’re used to 10C indoors, 25C is blazing. Not sure what’s difficult to understand about that. It would be like for you being used to 75F and it’s 100F outside. I’m in the states, though, so this is not a UK only thing, or a running joke. I was talking to a runner here and it was about 75F. He said he had to turn around because it was too hot for him today. It was a cold winter for us, and 75 is still rare (I think I’ve seen it twice this year).

LarsBR says:

http://steamdb.info/sales/ currently has 4949 “items” on sale. It’s bonkers, I remember when there was but a single game on steam, and this was all fields.

• Lemming says:

I remember too, when Steam was all fields. Offline mode was mandatory and we got an internet connection if we were lucky!

• Moose Malloy says:

I remember when Steam was all fields and we had to unlock that single Steam game with a 56k modem! :(

• Lanfranc says:

A modem? You kids with your modern conveniences. I remember when Steam was literally all fields – fields of wheat and we had to go out and gather enough of it to pay for the game.

• LionsPhil says:

I’d link SteamPrices too, but they seem to have overloaded from people checking if this sale is more sale than the last sale or not.

Mischa says:

What do the Kickstarter backers think about Divinity: Original Sin being 20% off for non-backers, just 11 days before the ‘gold’ version comes out?

• aurious says:

I think it’s still more than I pledged, I’ve had access to the alpha/beta for months and the more sales Larian make the more opportunities they’ll have to make other great games in the future. Yay.
      (Assuming Original Sin is a great game… I’ve not used my access much)

Other backers may have pledged more than the sale price, but they’ll have got more rewards in return.

Colonel J says:

Not sure why that would bother anyone? As a KS backer, I just hope a small sale discount means they sell a ton more copies. I backed because I wanted the game to happen, not because I wanted a better price or early access.

Not uncommon for there to be a 10% or 15% promo in the first week of release anyway.

• derbefrier says:

Ohh that’s comming out that quick? Is all the content there yet? If I buy it today and start playing will release day delete all my saves or anything like that?

caff says:

There’s a strong chance your saves won’t work. Buy today and wait until formal release on June 30th.

Rizlar says:

Or just wait until release, read some reviews and if it turns out as good as it looks buy it for full price!

• Philomelle says:

It costs 32 dollars with that discount. It cost 25 to backers, so I’m really not sure why any of us would feel upset or cheated.

And hey, the game is good. The more people play it, the better.

Martel says:

Doesn’t matter to me, especially since I paid in to make sure it got made, not to get a steam sale discount :)

welverin says:

Doesn’t bother me in the slightest, and I like to see things I like do well. So, the more sales the better.

gnodab says:

I concur with everybody. I backed the game ‘couse Larian are awesome!
      And at my Tier they threw in a copy of Dragon Commander to pass the time (which makes me wish I weren’t so useless at RTS, or it were a visual novel/adventure game).

10. The white guar says:

It’s 503: service unavailable day again! Hooray!

11. aurious says:

A friendly reminder: Don’t buy games unless they’re in a daily/flash/community choice selection.

Games get a larger discount in the time limited sections… If you buy Lichdom Battlemage today at 40% off you may be kicking yourself if it’s 75% off in a flash sale tomorrow (arbitrary selection of game with made up discount for illustration).

If there’s a game you’ve got an eye on wait until the end of the sales or it’s in the time limited sections.

Llewyn says:

I’d exempt from this any game that’s already 75% off while not in a front page daily or flash* – those are unlikely to get significantly cheaper at any point.

• bhauck says:

I think there’re three ways to look at it:

1) Getting the lowest possible price to fill out your game library is an enjoyable pursuit on its own, regardless of whether the savings are material, or even if you’re likely to play the game.

2) Savings are important, but not so important that I’d want to wait a week to see if the price goes even lower when I have some reason to believe it won’t.

3) You buy the games you want at the price they’re worth to you. If you’re willing to pay up to $5 for a game and it goes on sale for $4.99, you’re going to buy it. Even if it goes on sale in six days for $3.75, that $1.24 will make no difference in your life, and the time spent not worrying about it is worth at least that much to you.

I accept that I get a lot of enjoyment out of 1, but I’m trying to shift some of my focus towards 3. I don’t really have room for 2 until I’ve cleared out my backlog, which should only take another 150 years or so.

• Frank says:

No. The longer I have an excuse to say “Lichdom Battlemage”, the better. Priceless

• Darth Gangrel says:

That’s actually a game I’m looking forward to, but once it has left early access and costs 5 euros. Yes, I plan ahead, but with my backlog I have enough games to last me years, so I intend to make most game purchases post backlog. I’m still looking with anticipation at this sale, because one or two of my wishlisted games might get a 75+ % discount.

Gap Gen says:

Plus the trailer will have 75% more orange all-caps text.

(It does look interesting, though, although you probably shouldn’t make SYNERGY a selling point)

12. arccos says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the deal on Divinity: Original Sin ($32) makes the beta/early-access cheaper than they ever offered on Kickstarter ($95).

Does that mean that everyone in the $25-$80 backer level still doesn’t get early-access, but people taking the Steam deal do?

Colonel J says:

I pledged $25 and got a code for Beta as soon as the game went up on Steam Early Access. They gave it to everyone who pledged enough for a copy of the game.

13. Lemming says:

Btw I don’t know if RPS missed it or not, but the original Fallout games are back on Steam after the Bethesda change over, are currently on sale and have been updated to run nicely on modern PCs. Worth a punt if you want the best* official versions of the games. Fallout 1 and 2 are Windows 8 friendly, but Tactics isn’t at the moment.

• serioussgtstu says:

I didn’t know that, thanks for the tip! I was really disappointed when it wouldn’t run after I bought it last year, but then GOG gave me all three for nothing, so it was hard to stay mad.

• Lemming says:

From bethblog.com:

All three games have Steam Cloud enabled for save games.
        Fallout 1 & Fallout 2 can be launched in either default or classic versions. Default allows for high resolutions and Classic is the original, unmodified release.
        Fallout Tactics is unmodified. Multiplayer works with direct connect.
        While Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 can run on Windows 8, Fallout Tactics is not Windows 8 compatible.

• Drake Sigar says:

Ya they mentioned, wonder if GoG’s decision to release the games for free just before it had to be taken off the store is going to affect the possibility of it being re-released there!

14. iniudan says:

Don’t forget to praise Lord Gaben.

• LionsPhil says:

Aw man, they changed it.

• Bull0 says:

Press 3, that video’s funnier than the main video.

15. Shuck says:

Sadly, yet another sale where I’ll look at my wishlist, look at the discounts on the games therein, then look at how many unplayed games I still have in my Steam library (many of which are now discounted to a small fraction of what I paid for them), calculate how many years it will take me to play through my existing games, and give up on the idea of buying anything at all.

• Baines says:

I would, but Steam is too overloaded for me to even see my wishlist at the moment.

• Darth Gangrel says:

That’s my exact opinion on the matter as well. I see lots of great or good games at great prices and then think “no, I have several games like that already that I haven’t played yet”. Although, there are still some games available on Steam that aren’t like everything I already have. I’ll wait and see if they get discounted enough, but if not, then there’ll always be more sales in which I can get them.

Rizlar says:

Naah. Why miss out on some amazing games because you are determined to play all your old crap ones? For me I guess it is more about making quality choices. Bundles are my bane. :(

• Baines says:

Most of the games on my wishlist aren’t necessarily “amazing games”.

By nature they are games that I have yet to buy at full price, and the majority were there during the Thanksgiving and Christmas sales.

• Armante says:

I concur. I now have well in excess of 300 games on Steam alone, plus GoG and Desura. I now buy games on my wish list when they are very deeply discounted. I checked through this morning, and I passed up anything that’s still more than $10. With a young baby and no time (and little money) I am much more picky.

I did pick up Journey to the West for $5 and Lynes for less than a dollar.

• yonsito says:

I totally agree. But my resolve is weak. Especially with games cheaper than 5€.
      Ikaruga for 4,50€, Enslaved for 5€, etc., damn you, Steam.

16. SkittleDiddler says:

I can’t even log in due to the traffic. When are those morons running Steam going to learn to prepare their systems in advance of these stupid sales?

• aiusepsi says:

It actually does look like they’ve done a lot of preparation this year. For one thing, the Store and Community websites now both seem to point at some sort of Akamai service now, which means that they’re really heavily geographically distributed.

• SkittleDiddler says:

That would be nice if what you’re saying is true. I’ll be mighty impressed if Valve can somehow manage to pull off a relatively issue-free sale for once.

Jalan says:

Akamai is their CDN provider, but just because they’re making use of a CDN doesn’t mean the sheer amount of traffic cannot cripple it per region.

17. Advanced Assault Hippo says:

Surely there comes a point where – and I know how sacrilegious this may sound – Valve need to perhaps receive some criticism regarding their server problems during sales.

I know they’re bullet-proof in the world of gaming journalism (Steam issues never get the same coverage as other gaming client’s issues) but it would be great to see that change one day.

• LionsPhil says:

It helps that Valve at least seem to host authentication servers separate from their storefront servers, so even if the client and community craps out, you can still play your games. Usually. Maybe not so easily in multiplayer if the community system snuffs it.

Although, yeah. The load peaks are predictable and elastic provisioning is a thing. A very big thing that you can effectively pay other people like Amazon or Google to deal with rather than having to buy a mountain of servers yourself that run idle for the rest of the year.

• Bull0 says:

Can you elaborate, I’ve been browsing Steam with no issues all evening

Hodge says:

They seem to have quietly launched the Linux port of XCOM to coincide with the sale, too.

welverin says:

There was a news post about that. A Steam news post that is, I saw it in my news feed.

19. Armatool says:

lol gog

J. Cosmo Cohen says:

What are the games listed at the bottom of the store page? The hundred or so that Graham mentioned…I don’t see that.

21. Radiant says:

You guys should already know by now how to handle a steam sale!

• Sleepy Will says:

We can embed videos?

Ohhh No!

• Radiant says:

gifs on twitter… videos on rps.
        Next? Dogs and cats living together.

• Faxanadu says:

Does marketing get better/easier than this? I don’t know, but it’s wonderful.

22. therighttoarmbears says:

Humbly requesting hive mind advice: Don’t Starve for $3.74 or Don’t starve + expansion for twice that? I like rogue-lites (whatever!) but can’t sink immense periods of time into games at once any more.

J. Cosmo Cohen says:

I don’t know how much help this is going to be, as I only have the base game, but $3.74 is a great price for the base game. I wouldn’t hesitate picking it up if you enjoy survival/crafting in your rogue-lites (I don’t know the difference, either). If you decide you do end up wanting the DLC after purchasing the base game, you’d only be losing out on .14 cents — assuming you pick it up by tomorrow (or whenever it’s on sale until).

Martel says:

I’d second that. I haven’t played the expansion, but I definitely got my money’s worth out of the base game.