Twin Souls Is A Gorgeous Stealth Game… With Teleporting

By Nathan Grayson on June 19th, 2014 at 10:00 am.

Twin Souls: The Path of Shadows could’ve chosen a better name because a) it’s generic and non-descriptive as all get-out and b) it just makes me think of Day-In-Ellen-Page’s-Totally-Normal-Life sim Beyond: Two Souls. On the upside, however, Twin Souls looks very, very nice despite being cloaked in creeping darkness half the time. It’s a (by the sound of it, pretty hardcore) stealth game whose influences range from classic Thief and Tenchu to more modern fare like Mark of the Ninja, but there’s a twist: you can teleport. Trailer and details skulking about below.

The animations could use a little work, but otherwise it’s got quite a nice look to it. The teleportation reminds me of Dishonored’s blink ability, and given that Dishonored might as well be titled Thief: But With Magic And Whales This Time, that’s hardly a bad thing.

Here’s the game’s basic premise:

“Twin Souls reintroduces the concept of ‘3rd person ninja simulator’, a style of gameplay untapped for many years since the original Tenchu series. Compared to newer action games like Assassin’s Creed, Twin Souls wants to dismiss action mechanics in favor of stealth mechanics, the tension of being detected and the feeling of reward you get when finally beating a level without being noticed.”

“Games like Metal Gear Solid, Thief or Splinter Cell defined a genre recently diluted into action games. In Twin Souls you are outmatched, outnumbered and alone. You have no guns, amazing fencing skills or regenerating health. Your main weapon is your cunning, and darkness.”

Also magic. Don’t forget magic. You gain power from being in shadows, which gives you the ability to do things like teleport, Sneak More Betterer (TM), and create more pockets of darkness. Enemies have magic too, though. They can manipulate light, so you’re never truly safe. The game is one of planning, and each level will allow you to traverse it as you see fit.

Twin Souls is currently on Kickstarter. It’s aiming to pick $70,000 from willing pockets, and it’s already decently well on its way to doing so. What do you think? Gonna back it?

, .

1. jasta85 says:

I actually recommended that the devs hit up RPS for an article a day or so ago when they first launched their kickstarter since RPS does plenty of kickstarter articles. Glad to see one up so fast, we need more stealth games that actually involve stealth gameplay (not games that involve crouching and immediately going invisible)

2. Sian says:

I’m a fan of the old Tenchu games, so I’ll probably back this. I just hope their levels are a bit more open than the trailer suggests. Most levels in Tenchu were relatively open – I even remember a cave level, and although you’d think caves are as linear as things can get, they managed to always have at least two ways leading on.

• Niko says:

Especially in Tenchu 2 – there was a lot of open, beautiful and bright levels, as I recall.

3. jalais says:

“With these glowing runes all over my body, I’ll blend in with the shadows perfectly!” XD Looks very promising though, getting kind of a Shadow of the Colossus vibe from the art style.

• DrollRemark says:

A wizard fixed it.

• Valkyr says:

Yeah, like the glowing PDA and trinoculars of Sam Fisher. But I guess otherwise you wouldn’t be able to see your own character when he’s blending in pitch dark shadows, so I can concede that point to the developers.

• jalais says:

To be fair, people have also made fun of Fisher, “I’ve never quite bought that Sam Fisher, a man bearing a close resemblance to a shaved bear with glowing eyes, is the greatest stealth operative ever” Yahtzee.

4. Stevostin says:

Aaaagh I hate this kind of 3rd person view that is just like a first person view but with a statue blocking a good deal of the sight

• baby snot says:

A lot of the time actually blocking what you’re aiming at. How that get’s through Q&A I have no idea.

5. jonahcutter says:

Nice aesthetic. I wonder if they’re doing something Journey-style with the scarf, where it is also your health bar.

As fun as Dishonored’s blink was to use it was also borderline OP, arguably making the stealth and combat too easy. And this one can travel through walls. Will there even be a challenge to getting into buildings?

6. razormax says:

I played the demo of this game a while back and found it interesting. It was a student project which they converted into a full fledged project which is impressive. It’s been while since we got a decent stealth game. Hope this turns out good. If anyone wants to try out they have a playable demo with one level available.

Since we are on stealth topic, check out Interference Game. One of the most innovative game mechanic I have seen in a long time.

• proppaganda says:

Where does one find this demo you speak of?

• razormax says:

It is available on their official site,

http://thepathofshadows.com/ which redirects to indiedb.com.

It’s strange that they didn’t post the download link on kickstarter page because playable demo will be the most easiest way to convince backers about the game.

• proppaganda says:

razormax, you sir, are a gentleman.

And I agree, I had no idea they had any type of playable game. The backers should definitely be notified about this.

7. Stardreamer says:

I used to work in a games shop. One day an older guy – parent, natch – came in asking for a game his son wanted: “Tench 2″. “Is it a fishing simulator?”, he asked me, somewhat hopefully, before I promptly passed out from laughing so hard. When I explained what Tenchu was, he did at least agree that sounded more like his son’s gaming preference.

I look forward to bemused parents wandering into GAME next Christmas asking for a copy of “Plymsoles”.

8. Shooop says:

The old character model they had when they weren’t sure if they wanted to make a full game or not was superior.

And so was your guide. Instead of being a token “I need you to save me” thing she was much more sinister and interesting, telling the protagonist she’d wiped the his memory and mentioned he had done something that offended her in the past he’d make up for.

• razormax says:

I just saw their kickstarter video and agree with what you say. The old characters were indeed superior in terms of characterization, design and animations. The new one gives a psycho kinda vibe just like the new thief. The old one felt more fluid and ninjalike. Even the old goddess statue was better. It reminded me of the Night’s Mother from ES. The gameplay looks good though and it seems they have improved it too.

9. baozi says:

dunno don’t think dishonored played much like thief except that both are first person stealth games