Likeable Roguelike-like: Abyss Odyssey Begins On July 15

By Alice O'Connor on June 20th, 2014 at 4:00 pm.

I believe player has turned into a giant tree in this particular fight.

I do have a soft spot for studios who started in modding, but I look forward to ACE Team’s games for more reasons than Batman Doom. From the first-person face-punching of Zeno Clash to Rock of Ages‘ competitive tower defence/demolition, their games have been weird and interesting and fun and ambitious and surprising and attractive. So I’m pretty pleased to hear that Abyss Odyssey is coming in only a few weeks–on July 15, to be precise.

In another genre shift (I also like that ACE Team do this), Abyss Odyssey is a roguelike-like 2D platforming beat ‘em up with and a pretty deep fighting system.

ACE Team’s Carlos Bordeu (the C, in that ACE, by the way–it’s the three co-founding brothers’ initials) described the combat to our Nathan as “a bit like Street Fighter meets Super Smash Bros.” with its combos, counters, cancels, air moves, and goodness knows what else. Every enemy has all these moves too, which means players get them as well, as you can turn into enemies you defeat.

There you are, by yourself or with chums in local or online co-op, going through procedurally-generated levels, beating the heck out of enemies and capturing their souls. Why? Because down at the bottom of this abyss there’s a warlock who needs a good kicking. Several, in fact. As more players beat the final boss, he’ll gain new forms, so return trips aren’t only to see new levels.

Pre-orders are up on Steam with a third off, bringing it down to ¬£7.33 with the soundtrack thrown in too. Look, we all know that pre-ordering is a mug’s game, but I’d happily send money ACE Team’s way no matter what to keep them making games. Have a butcher’s at its Art Nouveau-inspired style:

, , .

1. wu wei says:

No Abe’s Oddysee pun for the title? I am disappointed.

RedViv says:

The title of the game is one already. Do not overload the pun. It might explode.

2. Laurentius says:

So this Pincoya chick fights naked or almost naked ? Maybe she’s from underwater or something but still…

• Piecewise says:

Yeah, it’s kinda weird, but considering she has no genitals is otherwise looks almost like some sort of living statue or animate and homicidal image of venus rising from the sea, I’m guessing she is similar to the ghostknight in that she has some sort of weird, magic related backstory.

Still, I expect some people *cough* Walker *cough* will throw a hissy fit over it.

Also, is it weird that a completely naked woman somehow feels less sexualized then one in skimpy fantasy armor?

RedViv says:

Her shape seems nude, but they went with her being completely ethereal neck-down instead of booby skimpy ghost outfits. It is very nice to see an interesting form-cherishing design for something like that, for a change. Not that it is surprising with ACE. Their art is anything but boring.

• pepperfez says:

form-cherishing
        This phrase delights me.

• Convolvulus says:

It’s the Art Nouveau version of heavy metal album covers, and I will fight to the death (or have a fairly low opinion of) anyone who takes offense on the grounds of exploitation.

• Miltrivd says:

The Pincoya is a mythological creature from folklore in Chiloé (big island in the South of Chile). Yo could call her a mix between a mermaid and Venus, governing fertility of the seas. She is always presented beautiful and fully nude.

I’m checking the video and see a lot of mixes with Chilean folklore and traditional mythology, it looks lovely and makes me warm inside they went for this approach.

• Shodex says:

Look at it another way. The naked human body is a beautiful thing and there isn’t anything wrong with attempting to represent it beautifully in a game. She’s naked but she’s not being sexualized from what I saw in the trailer.

We should be mature enough to see a naked body and not get super uncomfortable.

• Laurentius says:

Yeah, but she FIGHTS naked and there is nothing original or special in this. It’s been done to death in myriad of games where female characters fights naked or almost naked.

• Shodex says:

And most of those games were sexualizing. The Pincoya has always been depicted as nude.
          If you think nudity is such a horrendous thing then please just don’t play the game, but don’t start a SJW argument here and ruin the fun for people who think this game looks interesting.

3. Blackcompany says:

So…is anyone else getting a 2D, side-scrolling Dark Souls feeling from this?

Not that that is a bad thing, mind. Just asking.

RedViv says:

The closest I’ve seen a Metroidvania come to this is Valdis Story: Abyssal City.
      Maybe you really need to call upon the Abyss to truly unlock that Souls feeling.

4. Chuckleluck says:

Rock of Ages was a cult classic.

• Michael Fogg says:

“Photograph” was a bona-fide hit.

• The Random One says:

The Nickelback song, or the technique for imprinting images into paper?

5. pepperfez says:

My hope is that this’ll be properly balanced for competitive play between all (or at least most) the playable characters. They could really have a lovely Smash-ish extended life if they’ve put it together right.

• Carlos Bordeu says:

We are currently balancing a 4 player vs mode that is notoriously inspired by Smash Bros (we are huge fans) and that will launch playable in local coop.

The VS mode wasn’t a part of the scope of the development of the game, but as we got deeper into the combat mechanics we realized that the game was begging to have a competitive fighting game mode (and that it was obvious that everyone was going to ask for it anyways). So in these last weeks of development time we’re basically polishing the game and squeezing in the first iteration of the VS mode (instead of releasing it later as a free update – which was the original plan). With more time after launch we should be tackling getting the mode to work online.

The VS mode (as well as the game) will get a lot of updates which will include new playable characters / fighters for our roster.

• pepperfez says:

That’s great to hear! It’s always more rewarding to pour effort into a game if it’ll help you beat real people.

• Miltrivd says:

Carlos, will you guys release the game on GOG as well? I want to get the game on release but I’d rather get it DRM-Free (even if that means waiting). I’m loving the interpretations of folk mythology I see in the video, specially with the Pincoya as a playable character. Saludos desde Iquique _O/

• Shadowcat says:

Yes, please don’t limit yourselves to Steam. The game looks amazing (I can’t remember the last time I saw a fighting game that I immediately wanted to play), but Steam is a complete no-go. DRM-free and you’ll have yourselves a sale.

• Vainamoinen says:

Yeah, they said in their forum that they won’t do anything but Steam. Some BS about the Unreal engine being tied in with Steamworks and the ‘port’ being ‘too complicated’. Uh-huh. What can I say, another indie the survival of which I couldn’t care less about. If indies only cater to the monopoly, goodbye PC gaming.

• Kompatriartes says:

I want to make something crystal clear to you ACE team developers.

This statement was an INSTANT PRE-ORDER!!!!

That is all. I have wanted a good smash-inspired game for ages, and the vs mode, coupled with the awesome looking single/co op mode have won my wallet’s heart.

It loves you. ALL OF YOU.

6. SillyWizard says:

“…butcher’s…?”

Is…is this Cockney rhyming slang?

Butcher’s…butcher’s hook…look?

• pepperfez says:

Hook! Knife, paper, shop, twine, nails…none of them worked and I had the most hideous images in my head all afternoon.

7. nearly says:

Quite enjoyed Zeno Clash, though I got stuck at the part where you go back to town because I can’t clear that fight. Easy sell either way. Also quite pleased with the project lead’s review on Steam. (Not necessarily pleased with the nude character but it’s much easier to stomach when it’s cultural mythology rather than just sexual fantasy culture)

8. Josh W says:

Still super keen, would have liked an art deco style trailer too, but it’s still looking good.

9. Taerdin says:

Everytime I read “roguelike-like” I cringe. I mean I get it, but the term is kind of silly sounding.

• Philotic Symmetrist says:

A healthy dose of silliness is a good thing; also, that term comes complete with its own built in mascot!