Dead Rising 3 Out In September, Not Capped At 30FPS

By Nathan Grayson on June 20th, 2014 at 10:00 am.

I hate to be that guy at the official RPS million-person dinner table, but you know what I hate about dead people? The fact that these days, they never stay dead. They’re always rising, marching about like they own this mortal plane. And then we have to mop up after them, in Dead Rising 3‘s case by combining things with other things. Why would I ever want a steam shovel motorcycle? Where will I keep it? How will I stay in my traffic lane? Inconsiderate, that’s what those zombies are. Capcom has announced that they’re due to rise and groan in September. Oh, and despite Xbox One roots, there will be no framerate cap. The experience might be a little janky, though.

Capcom explained on its Capcom Unity blog:

“Allow me to set the record straight: while Dead Rising 3 is optimized to run at 30 frames per second for gameplay reasons, you can expect it to still run fine uncapped under most conditions provided you have a capable enough hardware. We can’t guarantee that there won’t be issues, and obviously depending on your rig you may see different results. Rest assured the beefier your gaming machine, the smoother your zombie killing experience will be.”

“Bear in mind the frame rate will fluctuate in uncapped mode in certain areas, particularly later in the game, where streets are literally filled with zombies and other complex objects. Couple that with an open world sandbox game engine, big explosions, complex physics interaction, and huge draw distance and you’re bound to experience dips here and there.”

Dead Rising 3 will hit PC with everything, the kitchen sink, and a colorful variety of sinks from other rooms on September 5th. That is very close to my mom’s birthday. I will not be getting my mom Dead Rising 3 for her birthday. She likes murder mysteries, but not really the what-could-theoretically-happen-after-that-if-a-viral-contagion-mucked-up-the-rules-of-life-and-death part. I will have to keep this in mind.

What are you getting your mom for her birthday? Also something about videogames.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. GameCat says:

Sadly, it WILL NOT have XBONE exclusive DLC called Super Ultra Dead Rising 3 Arcade Remix Hyper Edition EX + α
    ;_;

• sinbad269 says:

That makes me sad.

The frame-cap makes me angry. The fact that they un-capped it makes me happier, until… I hear the physics are tied to the frame-rate. I’m going off what Luke and Linus said in their latest WAN Show [with a timestamp to the appropriate point], but apparently the PHYSICS ARE TIED TO THE FRAME-RATE. WHAT THE ACTUAL F**K?! dshjfgsjvgiu

• aiusepsi says:

Why is that so crazy? The key input to a physics simulator is how far into the future you want to determine the new positions and velocities of the objects. If you’ve got a constant frame-rate, that’s a constant amount of time.

If your frame-rate is varying, you can’t know how far ahead in the future to simulate, because you haven’t rendered the frame yet; you don’t know how long it will take. The best you can do is assume that it’ll take the same length of time as the last frame. So if the frame-rate swings wildly about, then you’re introducing an extra error into your physics simulation. Objects will travel further or less far than they should have, for instance. A varying framrate is going to cause jankier physics.

• Geebs says:

You can just run your physics at a constant 60 Hz and leave the renderer to draw frames using the latest state of the physics whenever it can. It’s not hard to implement.

• TechnicalBen says:

Physics only accounts for objects in the world though. There are many things that are “physics less” such as the viewing camera, the GUI and even other animations etc. I SERIOUSLY doubt they are running physics on every entity… and at the least, the camera could in theory be decoupled from the rest of the scene, so you get silky smooth 60fps panning even if the characters are moving/animating at 5fps.

• Evil Pancakes says:

I won’t be surprised if we do get that somewhere around christmas

• The Random One says:

I will be very surprised if a GAME OF SOME YEAR version down the line doesn’t have it.

• socrate says:

that DLC isnt that great trust me not worth that much

that said the recent change in position and seeing how the sale for this weren’t that great is just sad…this stupid exclusivity stuff was always extremely dumb to begin with really and every time sale just take a dive they come to the PC or if the sale are quite good(dark soul 1) they come to PC….its really stupid seeing how Dark soul 2 turned out on PC showed how better the PC is and will always be when a port as some even little effort put into it to make it compatible and optimised.

anyway 60FPS compared to 30FPS is 2 different world completely console gamer just don’t get it because they never get that kind of performance on their shitty overpriced boxed PC…60 FPS is just insanely smooth and fluid and don’t feel like a bad sluggish game that is just a pain to play with 30FPS with HUGE framerate issue even at 30FPS.

That said il just wait till they go game of the year on that one quite frankly they have zero respect for PC gamer and we are treated basically as a second class buyer and they expect me to pay full release price for a game that is what 1 year old?emmmm no thx

2. dE says:

That framerate debate is a fine example of how discussions would go a lot better if people wouldn’t invest so heavily into extreme positions that their points turn into jokes in and out of themselves.

30 FPS for that cinematic experience? Yeah, screw your side.
    Game completely unplayable and totally the worst experience ever because of < 60 FPS? Yeah, screw your side too.

• TechnicalBen says:

It’s only oxymoronic expressions that get people angry.
      “30FPS because our engine cannot cope with 60″ people go “oh ok (such as most indy games and most seriously intensive simulation games that bring any system to it’s knees).

But “30fps for the cinemarithonation” is just a made up expression to get out of the real problem. Either over the top post processing, or under performing consoles. If it’s 30fps because it’s all the system can output, then say “it’s all it can output”.

There is one other area, and it’s the failure to filter/merge/smooth frames, which can create a “soap opera” effect, but that is down to taste, not science or fact. It’s like “preferring black and white TV/cinema”.

3. killingbutterflies says:

I grew up playing Frontier on an A500+ so I’m grateful for any game that runs at greater than 5 fps.

4. Spacewalk says:

60 only really matters in competitive gaming anyway.

DarkLiberator says:

They actually uploaded a 60 FPS gameplay video of Dead Rising 3 on their steam hub.

Looks decent.

Napalm Sushi says:

Did anyone else, for the briefest of moments after glimpsing that screenshot, think “holy shit; is that a realistically portrayed flamethrower (i.e. a focussed stream of burning liquid rather than the far-too-common fan of burning gas)?” before acknowledging the image’s true feverishness?