Magical: Trine Conjures Up Online Co-op In Engine Switch

By Alice O'Connor on June 20th, 2014 at 9:00 am.

The prettier Knight, Wizaaaaard, and Thief.

I remember Trine as being awfully pretty but no, apparently it wasn’t pretty enough for developers Frozenbyte (and, having now returned to the game, it seems my memory’s not quite what it was). They’re porting Trine over to the Trine 2 engine, giving the puzzle-platformer a fairytale makeover and its sequel’s online co-op.

While Frozenbyte may disappearing off on their summer hols soon and don’t know quite when it’ll be finished, they’ve released a beta version so we can all argue with Skypepals over who gets to be the Wizard. (Tip: start this argument then sigh “Fine, I’ll be the Thief” because actually she is the best. Thank the pro-wizard lobbying of Idle Thumbs, I guess.)

From what I’ve seen of the first level with my unmagical eye, Trine Enchanted Edition has fancier character models, adds extra background detail, blows in clouds of glowing smoke, makes lighting more colourful, turns up the bloom effect (to levels I’m sure some will find infuriating), tweaks camera angles, adjusts the UI, and reworks level design a tiny bit too. Broadly speaking, it’s more picturebook fairytale-ish.

The beta’s running through Steam in a way a mite more complicated than the usual. You’ll need to enter a code and some things and look, just go to Frozenbyte’s blog post and follow their instructions. They have pictures arrows and circles and everything, techniques far beyond my ken. One 1.2GB update later, there it is. It’s not finished, of course, so Frozenbyte warn you may encounter a bug or two. Right now only the Windows version is Enhanced, but it’ll arrive on Mac and Linux later too.

Old Trine is, and shall forever be, still playable, mind; the launcher asks which version you want.

Look, here’s the very first screen of the game from old Trine:

Actually, it looks a lot less fairytale than I'd remembered.

And again in Trine Enhanced Edition:

That's more like how I'd remembered.

, , , .

1. ran93r says:

It’s Free? I don’t understand, I thought I had to pay twice for everything that’s being remastered and rehashed. Ban this sick filth!

I love Trine and this is rather splendid.

• Jalan says:

Frozenbyte gets it, just as a select few other developers do as well. Toxic Games recently saw the light as well, though in their defense they did go to the effort of adding more content into their remaster than just a graphics overhaul (not to downplay anything re: this Trine update, of course) and their initial mindset of charging for what was a separate entity is understandable to a degree (I still don’t care for how the community at large handled the reception of it though and it’s just one of many cases where the customers turn into bullies because “they paid money, they have the right”).

2. Syra says:

Yay!

3. Great Cthulhu says:

Trine was (and is) lovely. I’m still hoping for a Lost Vikings 2 3 though. (Yes, I know they’re not really the same thing. But Trine is closer than any other game I know of.)

4. Detocroix says:

Frozenbyte throws around so massive amounts of good will that I’m going to drown soon. At least… I will die happy.

• Jekhar says:

Now don’t be silly, there is no danger of drowning. Their good will is, of course, frozen. (Available in 5 exciting flavours)

5. Rossco Mac says:

Brilliant news, a free update like this is not the norm and I have barely started Trine so will continue playing it in Enhanced form now. :)

6. bleeters says:

Excellent. Now I can repeatedly fail the Tower of Sarek level over and over again to the added cacophany of the anguished wails and grinding teeth of my unfortuante hypothetical co-op partner. And the lava will look prettier as I fall into it, so there’s that.

7. DanMan says:

I’m not sure it needed the care taking. It doesn’t really look better (sure, the lighting is more elaborate), just different. But who am I to decide how they spend their time, right?

• iago says:

If you wish – ignore the “visual upgrade” part. I kinda did. But the most exciting part of this upgrade is “online co-op” feature. Which was much needed. And adds plenty of fun.

8. InternetBatman says:

Trine was pretty for the time, but it pales in comparison to Trine 2, which is absolutely gorgeous.

• Juan Carlo says:

It is. And it runs on shit machines too, which is even more amazing.

9. Juan Carlo says:

Thief is always, unquestionably, the best. I pretty much played the entire game as the Thief, only switching to other characters when I absolutely had to (although, the fun of playing the Thief was finding ways to get past areas that obviously weren’t designed for her using her crazy rope swing ability).

particlese says:

Even despite Wizard’s lack of trousers, Thief is the best.

10. BooleanBob says:

Oh, wow. This is a pretty big deal.

11. jjujubird says:

Am I crazy for liking the first screenshot more?