PSA: Where To Find Rock, Paper, Shotgun Around The Web

By RPS on June 23rd, 2014 at 4:30 pm.

Social media.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun is more than just a website. It’s the last line of defense against the humdrum of everyday existence. It’s an ever-expanding collection of wonderful, videogame-y things to help you remember why you love this medium in the first place. It’s sort of a blog, which is a subcategory of website.

It’s also a Facebook page, Twitter account and YouTube channel, which maybe you’d like to follow.

We’re sort of embarrassed to talk about it, but it’s true. If you want to be updated every time we post a news story or feature you can do so by liking that RPS Facebook page and/or following that RPS Twitter account. Our posts will then unfurl from this website, their tendrils threading themselves into the broader fabric of your life. Those tendrils can speak and they say, “Hey you, on the bus. There’s a new game trailer for some weird indie thing. Maybe you’d like to check it out.”

Or maybe these scratchy words feel like an imposition. Maybe what you crave is the grace of movement and the comfort of sound. We sporadically offer both via the RPS YouTube channel. If a YouTube channel speaks and no one’s subscribed to it, does it make a sound? Yes, yes it still does do that. But maybe you’d like to subscribe so you can hear those sounds.

Or perhaps you’re an optimist. Maybe you’re the last hold-out among your friends. “Everyone, seriously,” you say. “RSS is going to take off in a big way, just as soon as people find out about it.” In which case we salute you and point you to the RPS RSS feed. Stay committed, true believer.

OK, that is all.

, , , , , .

1. altum videtur says:

WELL I NEVER

2. zind says:

But RSS IS going to take off when people find out about it and also when people decide they want to consume as much Internet as do people like me.

• jama says:

I can recommend Mozilla Thunderbird for organizing dozens of RSS feeds (and several E-Mail accounts and various newsgroups and newsletters (Filters!) and Twitter…)

AngelTear says:

I love RSS. To me, it’s the only reason I ever wanted FB/Twitter, without all the reasons that make me loathe FB, and to a lesser extent Twitter.

And a few months ago, after years of looking, I finally found an RSS Reader I really like (Firefox Extension Bamboo). Changed my internet life.

• GardenOfSun says:

Ehrm… I know this won’t get me any points with nowadays hip crowds, but… I’ve always wondered: what exactly is RSS?

• Orija says:

Me as well.

AngelTear says:

The basic function of RSS is very simple: if I subscribe to the RPS RSS, my RSS reader will notify me when there are new posts, and most RSS Readers will also give you the possibility of reading the articles from inside the reader itself (compatibility with embedded images/youtube videos/format may vary, but you’ll always see the text). It’s not unlike Facebook/Twitter/Tumblr’s main dashboard really, it’s just more clean, and you can check what you have already read and leave other things unchecked to read later, without losing them under the unending stream of content of social media.

What is useful about RSS is that, if you want to keep track of huge numbers of websites, you can check for new content on all of them at once through RSS. For me personally RSS on RPS is not fundamental because I’d come here every day anyway, but, for instance, I follow Cara Ellison’s blog, and sometimes she posts a few times a months, and then nothing for another month. Going there daily would be a waste of time, not to mention I’d forget to do it, this way I can check when she writes new posts automatically, through my daily routine.

There are also RSS for tracking comments on individual posts etc. Other services get more creative: Last.fm provides me with personalized feeds based on my account, like New Releases from musicians I listen to, and concerts from bands I like in my area.

Hope that was clear and exhaustive ^_^

• GardenOfSun says:

That was indeed, kind madam.
            Not sure I’d find something like that as useful myself – since I don’t follow that many stuffs regularly outside of this here brillo weblog – but aye, I can see why you’d sing its praises.
            Thanks again for the information!

• SominiTheCommenter says:

Really Simple Syndication.
        You input a bunch of feeds and the program(I also use Bamboo, amazing thing) keeps track of new articles, and also older unread ones. That way you don’t need to keep refreshing the homepages for 100s of sites to get the latest news.
        RSS hasn’t gone anywhere because it causes people to see less ads, plain and simple. All this nonsense about being hard to grasp or something is just propaganda.

• Michael Fogg says:

I don’t think you need a special program… Firefox can subscribe just fine, just click ‘subscribe this page’ in the bookmarks menu and a shortcut of sorts to new RPS articles will appear on the bookmarks bar.

AngelTear says:

Firefox does support RSS natively, but it’s so badly implemented and confusing it’d make me want to stop using it, in my opinion.

• sinister agent says:

I missed the boat on RSS when it came out, and I’ve been quietly waiting for it to become obsolete ever since.

I tried setting it up on my blog a few years back, and it was a bloody nightmare. Gave up on it eventually. I think. I can’t even remember, to be honest.

• Ross Angus says:

Thanks for that: installed. How in heckington does one get rid of a feed one doesn’t want any more?

• jama says:

• Nova says:

I think I tried all the feed reader extensions and the main problem is that they don’t allow really fast content sighting which is a big reason for using RSS. That’s why I went back to using the reader in my email client. Yay for keyboard navigation and selecting multiple entries.

• Frank says:

Twitter totally butchered all access routes to its RSS, though. I love the idea of the service, but I wish it were an open standard, instead of a business. Oh well.

• mouton says:

I got some tweets in my RSS, so there is some way. You can easily google it, I forgot already.

4. radian says:

Godspeed you! RSS Emperors

RaveTurned says:

Any word on the future of the Shotcast? Has that died a death, or might it return if you can ever get enough of the Hive Mind in the same place at the same time?

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I receive RPS on a series of gramophone platters, delivered hourly. I understand not everybody can afford a ha’penny to toss to the cheeky scamp who delivers them and the cost of the platters themselves (and of course don’t forget the annual donation to the Postmaster’s Widow’s Fund), but it’s the only real way to enjoy the full tonal range of RPS without reedy trebles, low-resolution shadow maps, and compression artifacts in Nathan’s beard.

• SominiTheCommenter says:

Not everyone has children so that they can be force to do that through the power of thrashing.
      Do you know where can I obtain some?

• Horg says:

Lady Codblops Orphanage for Children of Deceased Henchmen has frequent need of patronage from wealthy gamers. We are both the problem and the solution.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

And just tuppence can feed an orphan for a whole year!

• Antsy says:

Only if you wish to so energise the scallywags that they may declare themselves to be Orphaneers or some such fanciful claptrap. Creating mischief and infuriating your Gentleman neighbours with errant string lengths and misusing dripping and tallow and other rum doings! No sir, a penny will suffice!

7. SominiTheCommenter says:

The RSS feed for individual article’s comments is busted, it’s probably a server error.
    This: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/06/23/rps-around-the-web/feed/
    Should not redirect to the main RSS. I already complained on the forums, but it fell on deaf ears.
    Horace, hear our prayers! Fix the RSS, so that everyone’s happy.

8. karthink says:

RPS, do you not provide a full text RSS feed anymore? I remember you used to around 2010. For the longest time that was my preferred way to read RPS.

9. Ben Barrett says:

Can I make and run the RPS Tumblr please for the love of god there will be so many pictures of dawgs

• The Random One says:

Dawgs as in canines or dawgs as in bros?

Or perhaps bros with canines because hey dawg I heard you like dawgs etc

Hodge says:

All we need now is an official Rock Paper Shotgun BBS. Get to it!

11. charmed23 says:

woohoo, this is exciting! I love you guys.

12. Cockie says:

Wait, people don’t use RSS? Why the hell not?

LegendaryTeeth says:

Yeah, are there really people that don’t use RSS? How do you Internet? Just… turn up every once in a while to sites you remember liking..? That doesn’t make any sense.

• Cockie says:

Indeed, what a preposterous idea. Next thing you’ll tell me people use bookmarks or type addresses in address bars of browsers.

Honestly though, not everybody needs it obviously, but it’s really convenient if you follow a lot of stuff (some of which doesn’t update on a regular basis) and have a bad memory for such things (as I do :D )

AngelTear says:

As far as anecdotal evidence goes, I know about half a dozen people IRL who use the internet intensively and extensively, several hours a day, and none of them uses RSS, and only a couple of them would even know what RSS actually is.

No one really talks about it and no one pushes it/advertises for it, and most people just won’t go researching what that orange icon is (I wonder if people assume it’s just yet another social network), and among those that do, some will be reluctant to learn a new interface and change their habits.

• joa says:

Why should anyone push/advertise for RSS? All it is an XML schema – any moron could have come up with it. It’s only useful in how it is used or not used.

Ninja Dodo says:

I used it often when I read blogs more frequently (most of the ones I care about stopped updating) but I’ve never used it on sites like RPS that update daily or more as I can just turn up when I feel like it and read new stuff. I don’t need a pop-up the minute something new is posted. This is also why I don’t put twitter or Facebook on my phone. If I sit down to read twitter for a bit that’s what I’m doing, like reading a newspaper… really don’t need a push notification breaking my concentration every 5 seconds.

13. TheIronSky says:

There’s also a Steam Group with (what I can only assume is) the most active non-trading group chat on Steam, you know. It’s like a family in there.

• Frank says:

Yeah, I could’ve sworn I belong to an RPS steam group with names like “botherer” and “Lady Gillen Lovelace” and all.

14. Frank says:

Hey, speaking of RPS’s tech appendages, does anyone know how to get notifications about replies to comments down here? That chat bubble in the upper right has never given me anything but a whirlygig symbol.

15. AshRolls says:

Thank you for providing an RSS feed. I would be lost without my precious Feedly / RSS.