Computer Crime: The Masterplan Launches On Greenlight

By Graham Smith on June 23rd, 2014 at 3:00 pm.

The perfect crime

Monaco didn’t do it for me, but it wasn’t that concept that put me off. There’s nothing I want more than to carry out expert heists with a crew of skilled crooks. I have high hopes, then, for the The Masterplan, which matches that idea with plenty of ’70s crime movie style. It’s on Greenlight now and there’s a new trailer below, introducing its team of characters.

I covered the game previously in a DevLog Watch column, but it’s nice to see the game progress. It’s also nice to see that I can understand what’s going on in the trailer, as it was the art style – when combined with the chaos of co-op – that made Monaco such a muddle to play. To me. I know others liked it.

The Masterplan dodges that problem by being a singleplayer game and by adopting ‘real-time with pause’ so you have more time to plan – masterplan – your team’s movements.

Drawing inspiration from both legendary tactical turn-based games and classic heist movies alike, the goal of The Masterplan is to put together the right crew, get the right equipment, and finally plan and execute the biggest heist ever.

Set in the early 1970s, the game features beautiful hand-drawn 2D art and an authentic soundtrack recorded by a real band. The gameplay blends a physics-based world and a clever AI system with an easy to approach “real time with pause” user interface.

Apparently the game has already cracked Greenlight’s Top 100, but I’m sure they’d appreciate you popping along to vote.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. UncleLou says:

Very, very interesting. Anyone remember They Stole a Million?

2. Loque says:

Is there a way to filter out any article containing “greenlight“, “early access“, “crowdfund” or “kickstart“? That’s just because I completely lost any interest in non-finished products and I am sick tired of reading about yet-another-oooohsocool-soon-to-be game pledging for money/votes.

• UncleLou says:

You could just have avoided clicking on the article which has “Greenlight” in its header, surely?

I also assume you avoid reading anything which isn’t a review of a finished game, because that would obviously be inconsequential.

• Tacroy says:

Yeah I was gonna say, what are you doing reading a gaming news site if you don’t want to hear about stuff that’s in development? That’s like 90% of all games news, because barring some major screw ups once something is released all there is to say about it is “here’s wot I think”.

• UncleLou says:

There’s little I find more tiresome than people commenting on how they are not interested in topic x or y. Pretty weird behaviour as well, because I am sure it’s true for 99.99999999999999% of the internet, for all of us. So why do it? to get some sort of message across that absolutely noone who did click on the article cares about.

Like I said, tiresome.

• Loque says:

Actually I was just giving my opinion. I use a word filter on Reddit for example. Following the /r/gaming subreddit became MUCH better by simply auto-hiding topics with specific words.

• Loque says:

I read about games and I love to learn about new/upcoming stuff which doesn’t fall under the “please-give-us-money” flag.That’s all. As said in another comment, the “digital begging” is a new trend that -in my opinion- is just pestering the gaming world. If you go back to 2-3 years ago (more or less) the news didn’t really bring up this topic that much (if not at all).

• Loque says:

I would love a tool to skip posts entirely (if they contain such words). I don’t agree on your point, though. Grenlight and -in general- the new “digital begging” trend are something relatively new.

• UncleLou says:

First of all, you said ” I completely lost any interest in non-finished products”. If that’s the case, fair enough, but then your filter is way too soft.

And I don’t see the big difference between classic publishing and what you call “begging”. CD Projekt don’t show the Witcher 3 out of altruism. They want your attention. And your money. They all do.

I am also not quite sure that you know how Greenlight works. It’s not the same as Early Access, or Kickstarter, or whatever.

• Loque says:

I’ll reformulate my phrase: I would like the ability to filter posts based on keywords. Period.

• SillyWizard says:

And now you can! Simply read the tags for any article before clicking the link, and if they include “Greenlight,” “Kickstarter,” or “I’m a whiny babypants,” just move right along!

You’re welcome.

• hypocritelecteur says:

Dude there is this fantastic new technology called “RSS.” It’s only been around since the early nineties though so it hasn’t really caught on yet. RPS is on the digital frontier–they offer an “RSS Feed” that can be filtered and manipulated in myriad ways using the most infernal of secret internet magic.

Using these techniques, the reader shifts the burden off of the already busy content provider to anticipate ways in which millions of individual readers might prefer to view the articles.

tldr are you kidding me

• Frank says:

Don’t worry, we can filter you out just fine. That’s halfway there. [blocked]

In a more constructive direction: maybe you could write a greasemonkey script or something…?

3. Lexx87 says:

I used Monaco to try get my non-gaming girlfriend to co-op with me. It was a massive failure, we bounced off so hard I thought i’d lost her forever.

Then we found Spelunky.

Spelunky solved everything.

For all of us.

Forever.

4. SWOne says:

I wonder if this will be anything like The Sting!. That was an awesome heisty puzzle game with no penalties for failure – just go back and replan. I’m gonna go replay that now

5. geldonyetich says:

The style reminds me of DreamWeb. I’d better not be running afoul of any Cthulean monstrocities.

6. LionsPhil says:

Aw. For a moment, I thought this actually was co-op like Monaco.

Still looks good, just a different kind of good.

7. Graedient says:

I honestly just want a modern retake on the burglary sections of The Clue on Amiga, that was some fun theiving.

Link doesn’t work because of the exclamation

8. unit 3000-21 says:

I don’t like how the characters look – other than that it could be a nice game, but all that 70′s vibe makes me wish for “Sabotage: The Game”. I hope it won’t be as difficult as later levels in Monaco’s second campaign because I couldn’t finish it and that made me sad.

Comment on this story