Wibble Wobble, Jelly On A Plate: Roguelike Sproggiwood

By Alice O'Connor on June 24th, 2014 at 1:00 pm.

I saw this line and knew I'd post about this game. Sometimes we are predictable, yes.

Freehold Games’ first roguelike, Caves of Qud, had the traditional roguelike aesthetic of ‘explosion in an ASCII factory’ but their second is quite different. Sproggiwood‘s hand-painted style is so cute that its gelatinous cubes sit upon plates and if you don’t smile seeing them bounce away in a new trailer, you’re even stonier than I. Its writing looks pretty fun too, though perhaps I’m falling into RPS cliché with my delight at lines like “Don’t fall for his persuasive rhetoric!” in boss battles. Wordy wankers, aren’t we?

Sproggiwood sees you playing someone kidnapped by mischievous forest sprite Sproggi and sent out to make the land safe through turn-based dungeon-crawling. Think procedural layouts, loot to plunder, magic spells to cast, and six classes from farmer to vampire.

Your adventures will also see your town grow, and supposedly there’s a rival mushroom kingdom to befriend or smash too. A little narrative framing can be welcome in roguelikes, giving more incentive than simply watching numbers get bigger. Numbers are great, of course–I use them every day myself–but I can use extra encouragement. Adult life means I tend to receive growing numbers with dread nowadays.

Freehold plan to release Sproggiwood this autumn. You can go vote for it on Steam Greenlight if you’d like to play it but stubbornly refuse to buy games elsewhere, or just want to help out.

, .

Borodin says:

Don’t fall for Alice’s persuasive rhetoric. She is but a wordy wanker.

• The Random One says:

“WordyWanker” would be an excellent name for a self-deprecating British youtuber.

RedViv says:

From Caves of Qud to Caves of Cute amirite

3. Heliocentric says:

Does that art style make anyone else feel greasy? I know this game isn’t by King or one of the various tablet games which have adverts that say “not actual game footage” in between kids TV shows but it looks like one, It makes me uneasy.

4. SillyWizard says:

Wow, there’s only 6 classes, and two of them are Farmer and Vampire? These people don’t fuck around.

I have to say the whole overworld/dungeonworld thing is appealing. I would like to see that in more roguelikes. (I know Dungeonmans does it too, but I haven’t actually bothered trying to play that, yet.)

• The Random One says:

ADOM does it too, as does DF after a fashion, and you’re right – more roguelikes should do it. It adds depth to the world without adding needless complexity.

5. KirbyEvan says:

It looks promising, if they pull the civilization aspect off correctly.

Also that trailer music seems like it could be in Wind Waker so that’s definitely a plus.

6. CookPassBabtridge says: