GRID Autosport Out Now In America, Europe This Friday

By Graham Smith on June 25th, 2014 at 2:00 pm.

I’ve played three hours of GRID Autosport and enjoyed every minute of it. I don’t know anything about cars; I just liked going fast. From the in-depth interview we did, I know that Codemasters’ return to multi-discipline racing aims to blend together the best of the last two games.

We’ll have a review from a more expert driver than I in the next few days, but in the meantime you should know that it’s out now in North America and hits European roads at the end of the week. There’s a trailer and a few more more thoughts below.

I’m not expert enough in cars, racing games or the GRID series to provide an accurate summation of what’s new, different or exciting in Autosport. I know that I had fun playing it, and that it seemed competent.

Competence sounds like I’m damning it with faint praise, but I don’t mean to. If you want to race accurately modeled cars around accurately modeled tracks, you’re perhaps less concerned with what fancy new features have been added and more excited to know that the career mode provides a steady sense of progression, cockpit views are present and look nice, and the handling model can be robustly tweaked to cater to whatever type of driver you are.

(With a controller, I am a ‘win all the races on a medium difficulty’ driver. With my steering wheel, I am a ‘I destroyed my car by crashing too much on any difficulty level’ driver.)

Also the cars are very reflective: the measure of any true racing game. GRID Autosport will set you back £30/$50 on Steam.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. derbefrier says:

Didn’t realize this was releasing so soon. Looking forward to the WiT. Being an xbone owner I have to wonder if this is worth buying since I already have forza. Most likely the selection of cars will make or break this game since forza loves to make all the cars I want as dlc.

• nrvsNRG says:

Ive been playing Grid: Autosport since yesterday (VPN FTW), and although I like it, its no Forza. You are basically just getting a choice of 2 cars (tho not always) in the race events, and until you progress much further in the game, you are stuck with limited tuning and upgrades, unlike Forza.
      Its still good fun tho, and the more aggressive AI is something I am actually enjoying (a lot of ppl are complaining tho).

• rpsKman says:

Are you making an ironic comment about bad spelling in the game’s user interface?

• derbefrier says:

Thanks, from yours and other comments it sounds like I will give this a pass. That’s too bad was really hoping to see a forza rival available on pc.

2. FurryLippedSquid says:

“cockpit views are present and look nice”

Except they don’t. They are incredibly blurry with no animated dials or gear-shifting, that I’ve seen. A comparison vid, up against the 6 year old Grid…

• J Arcane says:

Holy crap. That is awful. Singularly atrocious. Who the hell thought that was even acceptable for commercial release? It looks like the early GRID 2 cockpit hacks.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

Believe it or not, that’s exactly what Codies based them on.

• rpsKman says:

It’s a recycled Grid 2 with blurry interiors to hide the textures.

• SirFagalot says:

Isn’t it obvious? Notice how there is no AI for the audience, or how the brake-pads glitch about after the crash?It’s an early build you idiot!

3. Cytrom says:

If a “more expert driver” doing the review means a racing sim nerd, I don’t think I’ll read the review. Simulator nerds take insignificant details WAY too seriously. GRID is like the COD of racing games to those types, while it was the favourite / only racing game of the average PC gamer, because it was a simple, fun balance of realism and arcadey style and had decent variety. And also pretty.

• rpsKman says:

No sim racer will touch this, rest assured.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Oh :( I had Assetto Corsa recommended here before. Any other fine modern racing sims?

• rpsKman says:

I find AC a bit forgiving, but I guess it’s nice. rFactor 2, RaceRoom (and DTM), Game Stock Car are all things you can try for free. GTR Evolution is old, but good. iRacing is super expensive, but has great multiplayer. There is no complete package, unfortunately.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Other games might be less “forgiving”, but that has nothing to do with realism though.

Nailing the right abstraction of user input against the game’s reaction is not really an easy task. Realism by itself only means that the simulation of the various dynamics is as right as it can be, then it’s the sim’s job to let you properly interact with it.

The best comparison can be made with a wheel set to 1:1 inputs, no filter, no anything, then trying various sims.

As an example, various Pilots have often stated that iRacing is in some occasion more “difficult” than real life. If you can’t feel G-Forces, if you can’t “feel the road” with the obvious limits of even the best force feedback ( not for normal consumers, the stuff that costs various grands and it’s still software limited ) and so on, you’re lacking informations, and without informations you can’t behave in the same way.

A Sim has to account for this too.

• rpsKman says:

It just feels Assetto Corsa doesn’t want you to fail. The braking distances are ridiculous, mashing the throttle isn’t a big deal, built-in understeer for comfort, etc. To me, netKar Pro is still vastly superior, and it doesn’t slow you down if you put two wheels on the grass. ;o)

iRacing is indeed slippery beyond measure, just like the modern race cars in rFactor 2. At least Assetto Corsa feels like a complete package somewhat.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Tech demo player spotted!

The Elise SC is known to be understeery like hell, the front tyres are tiny. Good for learning trail braking and weight transfering though.

It was a seriously incomplete showcase of the game though, obviously, as it’s a very peculiar kind of car and it was the only one available.

• rpsKman says:

Meh, there was a way to let it grip the track. I just thought it was bad how dampened all inputs felt, even with a 458. nKP just felt direct and on edge, y’know?

• CookPassBabtridge says:

I am starting to get a racing bug after years of ignoring racing games. Just bought Next Car Game and am enjoying learning the “route1″ tarmac track on my own with the muscle car. Trying to figure out best racing lines and all that, I have no idea if I am doing it right. Would be good to get behind the wheel of something with a bit of wheeeeeeeeee. I think I am definitely wanting something “simmy”, I love all that stuff and my MOMO wheel deserves it after years of being locked in a cupboard (though ETS2 has been warming him back up)

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

RaceRoom Racing Experience seems very good if you want something realistic but it has the most retardedly “pay-through-the-nose-for-everything” free to play model I’ve ever seen. The initial download gives you a few cars, 2 tracks and only time attack mode available. From there every car and every track costs a bunch of money to the point where unlocking everything is going to set you back into the hundreds of pounds where other racing games let you have everything for £30.

• rpsKman says:

Yeah, only buy stuff on sale in RR. They finally made it worth playing, there’s online play coming up, DTM is quite fun, the sounds are great. It’s worth trying for sure. But yeah, stupidly expensive, and no racing after about 20 months since closed beta. Ridiculous.

4. Howard says:

@Cytrom You could not be more wrong. GRIDs driving model was just insane, neither sim nor arcade; its just an aberration that has nothing to do with racing of any kind.
    Moreover, racing games, whether sim or arcade, are all about the details, so of course reviewers pick them apart. Maybe you’d be better sloping off back to Mario Kart as you clearly don’t want a racer…

• Koozer says:

Hey! You leave Mario Kart alone or you’ll be getting a red shell in the post.

• Howard says:

LOL! not knocking Mario Kart at all, just saying its not a racing game. I love it to bits (playing the old Wii one earlier today in anticipation of my Wii U) but its a comedy, combat, kick-the-crap-out-of-your-friends game. There is little nuance to the actual driving controls, which is what makes a good driving game

• PopeRatzo says:

I don’t want any racing game where I can’t run from the cops in an open world.

Going ’round and ’round a track bores me. They don’t even put radios in those race cars, nor do they have billboards to crash through.

4/10.

5. rpsKman says:

Crappy salvage job of an atrocity with terrible physics and shameful cockpits. Another bad joke from CH.

6. CookPassBabtridge says:

Hi Graham, did your wheel have force feedback enabled? Or did you just find that wheel support was poor? I am assuming you do not just suck at driving (something about the beard), and I really want to play this with a wheel but if it is badly implemented thats a bit off putting.

I wannabe like two people from Redditch: Brum brum

7. harmen says:

I wouldn’t mind a modern replacement for Metropolis street racer. Any tips by chance?

adelicatebalance says:

Well I’ve played a couple of hours so far and am very much enjoying it. Yes, cockpit views are blurry, but I don’t really care. It generally looks amazing, handles much better than previous games and feels great to play.

9. Artificial says:

GRID games do nothing for me. This will just be more drifting and assisted handling. I don’t expect it to be a sim, but the handling is just so unrealistic and boring.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

I agree I think racing games either need to go full on unrealistically batshit crazy a’la need for speed, or they need to do the pseudo-sim thing that Gran Tourismo and Forza etc do well (Full on race sims are ofc valid too but understandably not for everybodies taste, even though I do quite enjoy SimBin’s games myself).

I’ve only played Grid 2, pretending to be serious racing while using wacky drift style handling etc just didn’t work for me. I’d heard that Grid and this new one were actually more realistic but judging by the comments that’s not really the case.

10. Mittens89 says:

I’ve been wary of any racing game made by Codemasters ever since the discovery of ‘rubberbanding’ in F1 2010, shortly followed by the fact that the AI cars were for show and didn’t sync up to the lap times anyway.

11. Wraxou says:

What about the multiplayer part ? Is it still the same system as Grid 2 which required you to play for billion of hours only to get third category cars ?