Stridulating In The Night: Killing Floor 2′s Mutants

By Alice O'Connor on June 26th, 2014 at 6:00 pm.

Don't leave me hanging, bro!

Dear readers, until today I had thought that the screaming and chattering noises spiders make in movies and video games were entirely fictional. I had intended to post a Killing Floor 2 trailer which introduces a few of its mutants, including the arachnoid Crawler, and say something clever about the “shared unnatural sonic vocabulary” of popular media. But, curious about the origins of this, I read around a little (looked on Yahoo! Answers) and discovered the world is a terrible place.

Now I know that some spiders do actually hiss and rattle (‘stridulate,’ we say–know your enemy), I find this trailer for the co-op FPS abhorrent and oh god why have the hairs on my neck pricked up what’s that feeling is there a spider on me you have to tell me I mean it.

The trailer’s an in-engine cinematic with in-game assets, so more about the grand dream of what these monsters are than what they’ll actually be. Killing Floor 2′s Clot which here seems so threatening will, I imagine, still be cannon fodder that vanishes in showers of blood and severed heads. The Crawler was sort of inept in Killing Floor too, but good grief here it’s the most horrible thing and I hate it. The re-envisioning of the Fleshpound looks pretty good too, as do the two new monsters, in that 1990s-comedic-horror-movie-with-a-heavy-metal-soundtrack way.

Killing Floor’s backstory of all these monsters being mutated humans feeds that cheery horror movie vibe well. All of its enemies could be played by people in costumes, with careful application of prosthetics and makeup from Tom Savini. They’re low-fi and campy, and I like that. I’m quite keen to see KF2′s take on the wacky final boss, the Patriarch.

Developers Tripwire haven’t said when they plan to release KF2, only that it’ll start in Early Access.

, , , .

1. altum videtur says:

Oh good.

2. Premium User Badge Ksempac says:

I love coop, but never managed to get into Killing Floor.

The whole concept of having permanent levels mean that if you don’t happen to be about as high level as the others players, you’re mostly useless.

Also, i disliked the character design. I thought it was because it was an old indie game, but seeing this trailer, with almost all the same ugly monsters (ugly in the sense of “unoriginal” / “repetitive”, etc…), i understand now that i just dislike their character design.

• Synesthesia says:

haha, they are pretty tacky, aren’t they. Also they look almost exactly the same, with a few geometries tacked onto a regular human model.

• Premium User Badge Vandelay says:

I started playing Killing Floor during one of the Christmas events. They change all of the enemies into some form of mutated festive character, which are much more enjoyable to fight against than the standard enemies.

To this day, when ever me and my friends go back for a little more Killing Floor, we still refer to the guys on all fours as reindeer and the Gorefast as a gingerbread man.

• Misnomer says:

I completely agree. While the hardcore super fans of the series hate the Christmas Zeds for their hitbox misalignment, I find playing against them wonderfully enjoyable and would rather play against them than any other model (stock or summer event).

• Shooop says:

Yes. The christmas event is what convinced me to buy the game and I play it every year when they do it.

The best part is they didn’t just stop at changing the skins, but changed their audio too. The first time I heard a gingerbread gorefast say, “Cholesterol doesn’t kill, I do!” I nearly lost it.

• aliksy says:

Yeah, persistent levels are awful if you’re playing with a mixed group. Also it seems backwards to me that the game gets easier (via increased player power) as you play longer. If anything, it should get harder to keep up with player skill increases.

• Crowbar says:

It only gets easier if you play on the same difficulty.

Without the requisite perk levels, hard difficulty and higher is totally impossible.

• Neutrino says:

Wait, levels? I thought this was an FPS not an RPG? Is it not?

• bstard says:

It’s a FPS yes, with 7 classes (perks) and each 6 lvls. Higher levels do more damage, reload faster, buy their weapons cheaper. Servers run their maps in various difficulties.

• Neutrino says:

Ok thanks. I don’t understand why anyone would want to combine FPS and leveling though. FPS is skill based, leveling is grind based, using both at the same time strikes me as bizarre. As it’s not an RPG leveling seems incongruous.

I hope leveling isn’t being used as a way to artificially control things like difficulty and damage just to make it seem like there’s more content than there actually is.

3. Boozebeard says:

It worries me a little that the clot, slasher and cyst all have very similar silhouettes.

• rcguitarist says:

I couldn’t even tell them apart. I thought I was still looking at the same guy until a different name came up.

• nearly says:

which is maybe good for veteran players if it can shock/surprise them

• One Ton Otter says:

Distinct animation, though.

4. Nenjin says:

The benefit of mo-cap is really showing. The animations are light years away from KF’s shambling clots.

5. Darth Gangrel says:

Oh that header image. “I’m undead, let me show you the dance of my people”. I wonder if they’ll ever launch a zombie version of Just Dance. Would they then call it Just DanZ?

6. Shooop says:

I can’t wait to see the christmas events they do for this game.

7. CookPassBabtridge says:

I used to read Alice O’Connor’s articles. They were fun. Lively. Creative.

Then she made me watch terrifying youtube videos containing petrifying vocalising arachnids. Made me click one link after another. Until this happened.

Now I only read Graham Smith. Such a nice man.

• Premium User Badge Hypocee says:

Aw, you beat me to it. For those who have seen it, it’s the jumping spider mating song(!) and dance. For those who haven’t, it’s amazing. For those who are arachnophobic, don’t even consider clicking. For those who posted it under the title it has there, a. the intended effect is that she won’t move, or more precisely won’t eat him before it’s time, and b. she’s dead and glued to a stick with a big blob of glue on a stick that you can see.

• Gotem says:

I’m horrified, I hate anything with more than four legs

8. One Ton Otter says:

I pray that my not-brilliant laptop will be up to the challenge. Web says that they are using Unreal Engine 3 so hopefully that scales to lower-end systems nicely.

9. Boozebeard says:

You’re going to dismiss a first person game that has nothing to do with character development or plot because you don’t like the character designs? Sounds totally reasonable.

10. xFktOR says:

I’m sorry but you will not be missed.

11. Premium User Badge Harlander says:

You’re leaning a little heavily on the scatological metaphors lately, Mr. Cage.

Mix it up a bit, keep us on our toes.

12. shadybearfaced says:

Ah, johncage. I never get tired of your utterly ridiculous trolling.

13. SkittleDiddler says:

To be fair, many people avoid Team Fortress 2 for the same reason.

14. JOJOFACE says:

dumbest thing i’ve read all week. congrats.