Scoping Strategies: Sniper Elite 3 Out Now

By Adam Smith on June 27th, 2014 at 2:00 pm.

“German officer, your life force energy is fading.”

The screenshot made me hope for Treguard’s tones but sadly it was not to be. Sniper Elite 3 could have taken the series in a bold new dungeon-crawling direction but further inspection reveals another WWII organ-busting simulator. That’s not to say it’s not worth your time and precious pennies though. The game is out in Blighty now, having struggled through a staggered geographic release, and we’ll be taking a look through our critical scopes in the near future. Go prone and watch the trailer from afar.

I haven’t spent a great deal of time with the previous games, which always seemed to fall into close range combat far sooner than I hoped, but the trailer really does make the game look like Hitman: Private Assassin. Private as in a rank rather than…forget it.

The point is, I want to play the game in that trailer. Of course, years of watching trailers have trained me never to trust the apparent evidence before my eyes. Two player co-op is appealing though. I’d make my ally be a spotter and take away all of their weapons at the beginning of every level.

, , , .

1. Slouch says:

I’m glad to see they have widened the scope of this game by moving it to North Africa.

• Koozer says:

Maybe they need a laser focus on the design.

• danatcarpenter says:

my co-worker’s sister makes $69 an hour on the laptop . She has been without work for 6 months but last month her check was $13775 just working on the laptop for a few hours. look at this web-site………..

DarkLiberator says:

Played a few hours of it. My take is if you like V2 you will like this one.

AI is mediocre at best and easy to exploit. Game looks nice and seems well optimized, running it maxed with 80 FPS at 1080p. Sun glare is a bit overdone. X ray cams are satisfying as usual. I turned off all the dumb assists so sniping is a bit difficult at first but you get a hang of it eventually and its satisfying to snipe a whole squad of Germans with perfect headshots.

The maps are way more open now. Music is meh. They also added medpacks.

3. MrThingy says:

Treguard: “ooooh … nasty.”

4. TonyB says:

… what staggered release? It activated everywhere at 9 this morning. Unless you’re talking about the console version too, which seems against everything you stand for.

• Adam Smith says:

Ah, may have been mixed up with the console releases. Thought it came out earlier in North America. Having said that, looks like it’s out a few days later in America rather than earlier.

Oops.

5. OrangyTang says:

I saddens me that this is the only article with the ‘Knightmare’ tag.

Where’s my gritty modern reboot damn it? (Hold the cover shooting please).

6. Shooop says:

Go prone and watch the trailer from afar.

But not too far, the draw distance doesn’t go beyond 285 meters.

Someone take this franchise away from Rebellion and put it in competent hands. It’s the same one-man-army shooter as the previous game but only with more yellow colored textures.

7. XhomeB says:

OK folks, there’s something I need to know. Have they F-I-N-A-L-L-Y learnt their lesson and abandoned the linear, CoD-like formula? It’s a game about a bloody sniper, are the levels as big and open as they promised?

8. Turkey says:

The x-ray killcam is a nice start, but it needs a second x-ray splitscreen that shows the second when the target’s body defecates in real-time. Also maybe a POV spirit cam that shows his ghost floating upwards like it’s going to heaven, but then a set of claws come out of the ground and drag it down to hell.

9. rpsKman says:

I’ll never understand why people dump on these games.

• Comrade Roe says:

Presumably, they find it entertaining. Specifically, the fun to be had with the challenge of accounting for wind and gravity, and then the satisfaction of seeing a slow-mo x-ray of a Nazi losing a testicle, rib, or kidney, depending on where said Nazi is shot.

JamesTheNumberless says:

German officer, sidestep to your left.