Holy Wow: The Journey Down Chapter 2 Looks Fantastic

By Nathan Grayson on June 27th, 2014 at 12:00 pm.

Man.

Refresher time: The Journey Down was a great adventure game that came out a while back and then got a strong (though not perfect) HD remake back in 2012. The tale of a Jamacian pilot and his dealings with a mysterious woman, an evil power company, and “The Edge” was quite something, but it rolled credits after it’d only just begun to take off. Thank goodness it’s nearly time for The Journey Down Chapter Two. The wait’s been lengthy, but consider me hopeful for one heck of a payoff.

Developer Skygoblin has finally narrowed down a release window for chapter two: sometime this summer. A concrete date will apparently follow “shortly.”

As ever, it took so long because this isn’t really the type of game you can just slather in graphics and fling out the window. That in mind, Journey Down’s developers aren’t afraid to take every last second they need:

“TJD2 has taken us a long time to build. Why? Because we have truly challenged ourselves with it. We didn’t want to just re-do what we did with the first game. We wanted to take the critique we got from the first game and battle it, head on. This has taken quite a while, but it has also made TJD2 a better game in every way possible.”

There are a few character profiles and things of the like on the game’s developer blog, but it’s mostly shrouded in mystery at this point. Not that I’m complaining. I want to discover it all for myself anyway.

I do, however, recommend you feast those gaping abysses you call peepers on the rest of TJD2′s new screenshots. It’s been a long week. You deserve a tall, refreshing glass of “Oooooooo” and a complimentary side helping of “Ahhhhhhhhh.”

, , .

Harlander says:

Excellent news.

I don’t know how I got hold of the first part of this, it just turned up in my steam list one day, but it turned out to be a very pleasant surprise.

2. Crafter says:

I loved the first chapter of JD in its old-school version. I was hoping for more of that :(.
    I must be the only person disappointed by fabulous graphics.

3. Stepout says:

Chapter one is only 69 cents on Steam right now.

4. Keyrock says:

Nice to hear something about this game. I was beginning to think chapter 2 would never actually get made. I’m definitely looking forward to it.

• tomimt says:

I just always assumed the first game never really took off financially enough to warrant a speedy sequal. I never really did assume they’d actually do another one. But a good thing that they did, the first one really is a small gem.

Rikard Peterson says:

They’re just a small company, which it why it takes time. With that in mind, two years isn’t that long. (The first chapter took them one and a half year to make, and that already had the old free version to build on.)

I’m looking forward to this a lot! (Let’s just hope that they’ll be able to keep up the quality of the music despite the death of the composer earlier this year.)

Rikard Peterson says:

If The Journey Down is “just another”… could you please let us know which all those other similar games are? I’d love to play those, as I haven’t played many games that are like this one. (I have played quite a bit of adventure games, but not many as good as TJD, and even fewer that are as good looking and sounding.)

(But I suspect that you haven’t played TJD or have any recommendations for other great adventure games, so… what was the point of your comment?)