Worth The Wait? – Cube World Getting New Quests

By Nathan Grayson on July 1st, 2014 at 12:00 pm.

No! Behind you! That pig is the real mastermind behind all of this! Slay him before it's too la--

Cube World still exists! It may have disappeared into the blocky ethers – silent beyond only the faintest whispers – but that’s just kind of how (very small) developer Picroma rolls. Or tips over in an inefficient, angular fashion, as blocks are notoriously poor at rolling. So now here we are, finally, on the cusp of another update to the long-running alpha, and this one is set to introduce an intriguingly exploration-focused new quest system. Click [x1] of this post’s breaks for a video.

Originally Cube World had a rather bog standard MMO-style quest system – go here, talk to this glowing exclamation point with a person attached, etc – but this wasn’t a good fit for its exploration. People felt forced to simply visit quest-givers, the developers claim. So instead, they did this:

“We made the system more exploration-based: we removed quest-givers and also removed all markers from the world map. Quests are just there and players can find them by exploring. E.g. you might find an old crypt and when you enter it, there is a skeleton boss that you have to defeat. Maybe the boss will drop a key or a treasure which is needed for another quest.

“We added a quest journal with quest objectives and previews of creatures and items. The journal is updated automatically by fighting, finding items or talking to NPCs. Some NPCs give hints about quests that haven’t been discovered yet.┬áBy removing all quest markers from the map, players are forced to study the world around them more actively rather than following an icon on the map. It makes finding the quest target part of the quest itself and leads to a much more immersive gameplay.”

Hopefully that all works out, as it could end up confusing or frustrating if not done with utmost care. That said I really like the sound of it, and things look to be progressing solidly too.

For now the new quest system is still very much a work-in-progress, and – predictably – there’s no release date. It’s getting there, though. Like a tortoise made of blocks on roller skates made of blocks trundling up Block Mountain, but it’s getting there. Is anyone itching to jump back into Cube World? Or has the (understandably) slow development process made it hard for you to maintain interest?

, , .

1. SquareWheel says:

The recent news has made me want to jump back into it, though I’ll probably wait for the update. I have a large enough backlog that waiting isn’t a big deal. Looking forward to seeing what this game will become. It already oozes charm as is.

2. Sp4rkR4t says:

I loved Cube World when it first hit but what was there quickly got a bit dull, hopefully the updates they are working on add a bit more spice to the game, I just hope we don’t have to wait another year before the next one.

3. derbefrier says:

I bought this a while back and completely forgot about it. I held on for a few months, checking for updates and stuff but honestly I had already writtin this off as vaporware. I doubt I will ever go back to it. Its a nice little game and all but with the painfully slow updates my time is better spent on other games that have a brighter future.

4. Lord_Santa says:

bought it the minute he ‘released’ it; enjoyed it thoroughly for about 2 months, or so, playing mostly with my girlfriend; to me it’s still one of the single greatest games I’ve played with another person – even though it is also very enjoyable in single-player

unlike many others, I’ve plenty of things to do with my time, rather than sitting around and ‘waiting impatiently’ for another ‘patch’, or update; it’ll come around when it’s done

I am happy that I bought 2 copies of it and even if they never released another update, I’d still claim that it was worth every cent; it’s a unique little game with some really awesome features, lovely graphics, immense world and highly entertaining combat

my girlfriend and I made it quite far and explore a whole lot of biomes in the process; not a dull moment, whilst playing

5. Lion Heart says:

until i see it theyre still scammers, no update for well over a year? bullshit also it takes a whole year to JUST add quests? -_- failure

• Drakythe says:

And with that sort of crap attitude I don’t blame wollay for being mostly silent. Quests already existed in the game, what he has done is rip out an integral part of the game and replace it. When coding a game (and engine!) from scratch you don’t just get to pull a piece out and replace it with a new one, lickity split. It takes time and effort so as not to introduce significant bugs.

It was people who requested that wollay open the game to early access, even though he had a history of slow updates, anyone who checked his prior blog about the game would know that. I understand if a game doesn’t deliver on its promises, but Cube World was very up front about what would and would not be delivered, I really don’t think you can call them ‘scammers.’ Thats a very loaded and hostile term, careful where you sling it.

• Baines says:

There is a bit of a difference between slow updates and the perception that the game was abandoned right after (or even right before) they started taking money for it.

• Shodex says:

Cube World had very slow updates, it’s a labor of love from one guy.
      Impatient people were demanding they “SHUT UP AND TAKE OUR MONEY!”
      After getting these rally cries for so long, he caved and put out an alpha.
      Everyone played it for hours and hours and hours on end and loved it.

Cube World still has very slow updates, it’s a labor of love from one guy.
      Impatient people are now demanding that he gives them back their money for scamming them.

Do you really think Wollay spent years developing this game, all so that he could sell it to you unfinished and run off with the money?

• TheBigBookOfTerror says:

My feelings exactly. When I bought the game, I was well aware it could be years before it was complete, and I feel that he never misled anyone. Also he suffered from what I understand was a malicious denial of service attack, for no reason. He’s not shouting his mouth off or being abusive in responses to criticism, he’s getting his head down on working on a game he wants to make. The level of abuse he’s getting online really bothers me.

6. stoopiduk says:

So has anything actually changed since I bought the game when it was first available?

Tenses are all over the place in this story, with the dev talking in the past tense. Has this quest system been implemented? There’s no release date for what? The patch or the game?

Am I the only one confused by this article and what it actually means for those of us sitting here wondering whether to download the game again?

7. GameCat says:

Great engine, bad game.

8. waffl3sk4t says:

i’ve been waiting years before it’s release slowly looking at the progress it made until then, and i still do not regret my purchase because i was already aware that the game was going to be slowly updated, but those little meinkramft kids were so excited at the blocky graphics that they threw their money at the game without proper knowledge of the consequences, we might never get a refund, but our money is not wasted either.

9. Tei says:

Thing with the original, that I hope are fixed now:
    – Only 4 players, more players with hacks that make the game unstable
    – Finishing a quest, give xp to everyone in the game, even somebody that is literal (as in real life) 8 hours traveling to the south where the quest was finished.
    – Fantastic areas, that take days of real time travel to find, because the continents are too large.
    – Having to use a wiki to find what food the pets need. Pets and collecting pets is one massive activity in this game, but require alt-tabbing or a second computer. It would be nice if the donuts already say what animal love donuts.
    – It would be interesting if a single license allow multiple clones of the game. Like… I buy the game, and I can install it in other computer so I can play it with my cousin without have to buy another copy. No, we are not going to buy another copy.
    – Perhaps some type of teleport to a friend?

Having to explore to find quests don’t sounds right. My 6 years old cousin instantly decided the two crossed blades was a battle, and addressed me to go there. Its part of the interface that even a small children understand. The game was already too hardcore.

10. frightlever says:

I haven’t played much recently but… ya know… Trove

11. darkhog says:

Go play with your cubes. I want to see more plasma.

12. Bobka says:

I almost bought it when it first released, but now I’m glad I held out. As interesting as this could be, the glacial pace of updates and the almost complete lack of communication are really off-putting.

13. benkc says:

Huh, I had missed this game becoming publicly available. Sounds like after this patch might be a good time to grab it.

14. Chris says:

Next to Godus (Gold) and X-Rebirth (Silver) this game gets Bronze award in the video game fraud Olympics. A long time ago it launched with a massive amount of hype and a killer trailer, and then nothing.

15. Leb says:

This guy made tonnes of money off of the game and rather than growing his business like any sensible person would he’s continuing development alone with his wife.

I don’t think he cares if he ever finishes the game he’s sleeping in a bed made out of money

16. green frog says:

Oh god, those blocky little animals that help the player. This game is just adorable.