We Can Rebuild Him: Mighty No. 9 Looking Mighty Fine

By Nathan Grayson on July 1st, 2014 at 9:00 am.

Somewhat shamefully, I was always too weak for real Mega Man growing up. I knew all the principle players – Mega Man/Rock Man, Roll, Rush, King Crimson, Procol Harum, pre-Phil-Collins Genesis – but my hopping fell flat, my bopping landed with a wet thud. I’m actually rather happy about Mighty No. 9‘s existence, then, as it gives me a second chance at that most quintessential of gaming experiences, only I’m not a tiny frightened child anymore. I’m a big frightened child! Sometimes people even ask me to pay loans.

There’s a new trailer showing off Mighty No. 9′s development progress below, and the Kickstarter mega-success is definitely showing its roots. In (I think) a good way.

Those clips focused on No. 2 and No. 5, showing off both stages and boss battles. One’s power appears to be ice while the other’s is gun.

The visual style and sound seem to be pretty spot on, making it abundantly clear that original Mega Man creator Keiji Inafune is back in his wheelhouse. I do kinda worry about movement and stuff in this context because it’s always seemed to me that 2D is ever-so-slightly more precise for old-school platformers than 3D, but we’ll see. That might just be a personal thing.

If anything, my only big worry is that Mighty No 9 looks a littleĀ too Mega Man – with power stealing and everything – but a) that’s what people asked for, especially since Capcom doesn’t really seem to be in the Mega Man business anymore, and b) subtle differences are often what set these games apart.

Here’s hoping this one lives up to all the promise. If so, maybe we’ll even get another far-better-than-it-has-any-right-to-be rock opera mega-band out of the deal.

, , .

1. SomeDuder says:

Looks a bit… floaty? Is that the word I’m looking for? Oh well, it’s still early footage after all…

Then again, I really can’t get excited about stuff like this. Just look at what “they” did to Sonic – the thing with these games is, if they can’t get the exact damn movement 100% right, it just doesn’t feel like the games we loved. And the Megaman games on the NES/SNES had the tightest controls, it just FELT great.

• Lemming says:

I know what you mean. I keep reminding myself it’s WIP, so trying to withhold judgement but I keep playing Mega Man X and looking at this and something just feels off.

• ThTa says:

Not floaty (there’s no awkward acceleration or deceleration on normal surfaces (like there is on the ice), and there’s no way to tell how much input lag there is), but definitely sluggish. The viewport seems to show less than 50% of what Megaman does, yet it takes the same amount of time to get from one end of the screen to the other. The dash thing definitely doesn’t help either, considering it seems to be pretty much the default manner of movement outside of precise jumping. The latter especially is a hallmark of shoddy platformers, having this “fast” method of movement and being forced to revert to a “slow” one as soon as any actual platforming is involved is really unsatisfying.

• Viroso says:

What what what.

I watched the video and I thought “There’s no way this game isn’t going to be fun as hell”. I thought “It is literally physically impossible for this game to turn out bad”. That’s true, btw.

2. The Army of None says:

Oh my goodness, Protomen! They are wonderful! They do very excellent live shows, and the albums tell spectacular stories linked to great, thematic music.

Anthile says:

It cannot look enough like Mega Man . Capcom pulling the plug on it is one of the worst business decisions I have ever seen. If your employees have to leave your company to do their job I think it speaks for itself and so does the success of the kickstarter.

Also, The Protomen are fantastic. Can’t wait for Act III! READY. WILLING. PREPARED TO FIGHT.

• tyren says:

It feels like Nintendo showed the franchise more love in creating Mega Man’s Final Smash than Capcom showed it during the company’s 30th anniversary.

Now and then I see someone express confusion that Inafune left Capcom to get away from making the same games all the time and then kickstarted a Mega Man “clone,” but honestly this makes me think Inafune left because he WASN’T being allowed to make the games he wanted to. I mean, when was the last Mega Man game that wasn’t cancelled or Xover? 2008?

• Philomelle says:

Pulling the plug on Mega Man was certainly a bad decision, but in no way was it a bad business decision.

Mega Man games sold like shite for years. Yes, Zero and ZX series were good, but they sold meager numbers of copies in comparison to their budget and ZX series flopped so badly that they canceled it on a cliffhanger. Yes, the EXE/Star Force sub-series kept the franchise going because their Pokemon-like structure brought on a lot of the younger generation, but then that generation grew up and lost interest. So the end result is that they were stuck with a franchise that was popular with a very vocal fanbase, but whose development costs far eclipsed its sales.

Putting the plug on Mega Man, rebooting Devil May Cry to be more western, turning Onimusha and Breath of Fire into mediocre browser games, focusing on Resident Evil as their primary franchise… yes, they are all pretty awkward decisions that are insanely disrespectful toward their trademarks. I’ll be the first to argue that with the exception of DMC and Resident Evil, most Capcom brands are damaged completely beyond recognition and will take a long time to rebuild.

However, they are all good business decisions because they’re focused on quickly making money. Yes, they only work in short-term due to wrecking fan loyalty, but given that Keiji Inafune outright stated that Capcom has been bleeding money for years due to gross mismanagement and complete lack of understanding how to present their brands to the market, I imagine they’re desperate enough to focus entirely on schemes that keep bringing income at expense of everything else.

• WiggumEsquilax says:

Capcom is it’s own worst enemy. Transitioning primarily to AAA games has destroyed several of their franchises. The transition to the mass market, with it’s associated development/advertisement costs, was never going to have been profitable. Especially not when the inherent homogenization of gameplay, required to appeal to the majority audience, meant alienating to core fan base.

R.I.P. Mega Man.
      And R.I.P. home console Castlevania.
      Aaand R.I.P. Resident Evil.

Any others I missed?

• Philomelle says:

You actually misfired there. Castlevania is not a Capcom franchise, it’s a Konami one.

For better or worse, the reason Lords of Shadow exists has nothing to do with them trying to make the series more mainstream. It’s because the entire original development team, led by Koji Igarashi, was sick of making Castlevania games and felt that they wrote themselves into a corner lore-wise. So they refused to continue working on the series and Konami had to hand the series over to another studio.

4. InternetBatman says:

It’s really interesting that he chose to go with the more rounded, cartooney style of the original Megaman series and not the more anime inspired style from X. I’m looking forward to this game; it’s been a while since I’ve played a good platformer.

5. GameQB11 says:

I dont like the 3d style at all. Not only does it look floaty, it also looks a bit generic IMO. It loses the charm it had in the 2d concept art.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lywRFjCw0w
    THIS is what the game should look like.

• subedii says:

Eh… we’ll have to agree to disagree on that one. I’ve never liked the “flash style” animation thing going on there.

• Josh W says:

I know what you mean, that is really sharp, but hopefully, given that this is gameplay focused at the moment, they’ll have time to get the outlines and detail levels up again later.

Anyway, I’d like it to look like the kickstarter concept art, like it’s actually hand drawn on photoshop.

6. MadTinkerer says:

Ah, so someone is finally making a spiritual sequel to Mega Man for DOS.

What?

7. racccoon says:

A brilliant game developer!… a brilliant game! …good on him! :)

Toupee says:

Protomen are good, but don’t forget Project X. (Mega Man 2 @ Bandcamp: http://projectx.bandcamp.com/)

Their other band projects, Clawjob, Hex Map, and Nicholas Burgess, are all awesome too.