Counter-Strike Update Adds Six Maps, Calms Dogs, More

By Graham Smith on July 2nd, 2014 at 1:00 pm.

How long is it before everyone copies Valve’s Counter-Strike: Global Offensive update structure? The latest addition to the venerable multiplayer shooter is called Operation Breakout, and it adds six new maps for everyone to play for free. For those willing and able to pay $6, you then get a now-familiar bundle of upgrades including access to mission drops with the chance to unlock “45 exclusive weapon finishes”, a Challenge Coin which tracks your achievement-y ‘mission’ progress, and a new weapon case containing new community designs.

Given how most other games split their multiplayer communities by selling the maps directly, and given how that split is bad even for the developers, surely it’s only a matter of time before we’re covering our Battlefield and Call of Duty weaponry with paid-for and unlockable stickers and baubles. More details on the update and its maps below.

Of the six new maps added with the update, there’s one that stands out just based on the screenshots: Blackgold, a colourful map set atop an off-shore oil rig. For anyone who played the Counter-Strike betas, it’s reminiscent of the old assassination map as_oilrig. Although that mode was difficult to balance – one player on one team was a VIP who had to escape, while the opposing team only had to kill that one person to win the round – I had a lot of exciting and tense rounds playing specifically on the old oilrig. Assassination mode no longer exists and I’m sure this map is entirely different in layout, but I’m too easily manipulated by nostalgia to care.

The other maps are Mist, Overgrown, Rush, Castle (not a remake of the Dave Johnston’s Counter-Strike beta map, but an original work), and Insertion. All of them are community-made, as are the weapon skins and other doodads inside the update.

Operation Breakout also acts as a patch, tweaking some of the base CS:GO game. For example, the Buy Menu now displays more weapon stats for your potential arsenal, revealing damage, firerate, recoil and more. All maps have also now been split into three categories – active duty, reserves and operation – which determines which maps are available via competitive matchmaking at any given time.

Finally, the patch contains these excellent tweaks to de_inferno:

– Removed pretty flowers behind yellow car in banana.
– Calmed down dog in apartments
– Changed max chicken population from 10 to 12.
– Added back relaxing flamenco music to T spawn.

The full patch notes are available on the Counter-Strike blog, alongside a separate post detailing a few of the Operation Breakout features and the usual microsite with pretty pictures.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. TheHollowNight says:

Hurrah! My colleague made Blackgold! It’s great to see it finally in the Operation!

2. Ecto says:

Changed max chicken population from 10 to 12.

At this point, I’m pretty sure valve are just fucking with us. Everyone I know hates those fucking chickens.

Phinor says:

For a second there I thought they added oilrig. That’s one of my all-time favourite maps and way back when you were actually allowed to play more than four specific maps, we played that map quite often in clan matches. It certainly added an element to the game.

• int says:

I wish they’d add the old as_ modes, as much as I wish they’d add hunted_ to TF2.

• Hurion says:

That was one of the last VIP maps that seemed to get regular rotation. Sad, cause I liked that mode.

• Crowbar says:

I really miss VIP missions too. I just bought into CS:GO after not playing the game (obsessively) since beta 6 of the halflife mod.

Also: I want to be able to choose my skin! I want to be the Guerrilla Warfare guy!

4. bstard says:

Reading on the CS forums it seems there’re also a lot of lucky VAC banned winners as of lately ;P

5. KwisatzHaderach says:

“How long is it before everyone copies Valve’s Counter-Strike: Global Offensive update structure?”

About minus two years? That is if you consider Unknown Worlds to be everyone. They delivered a major update about once a halfyear with a fresh map (and heaps of content) for free for Natural Selection 2. Additionally you could buy some fancy skins that cited the theme of the newly released map.

• Bull0 says:

Hmm… pretty sure they aren’t everyone

• SuicideKing says:

You just answered:

“How long is it before someone copies Valve’s Counter-Strike: Global Offensive update structure?”

6. XhomeB says:

Would you recommend CS:GO to someone who loved CS 1.6, but wasn’t necessarily fond of CS:Source?

• ludlamer says:

definitely yes!

• phanatic62 says:

Yes. I would play one of the “new” game modes like Demolition just to get a feel for the gameplay. I jumped from that right into Competitive, although there is something to be said for learning the maps on Casual first.

• Shodex says:

You’re basically the target audience for GO.
      CS: Source had those clown hitboxes and a total lack of recoil, it was clearly made with a “broader audience” in mind. CS:GO has been built for competition.

• sharkh20 says:

No. It is nothing like 1.6. There is no consistency in the game like there was in 1.6. You will get randomed much more often. The balance between pistols and rifles is all out of whack. Also they went for visuals over gameplay. Desaturated colors. Models that blend in with the environment. Lots of clutter on the maps.

If you like unlocking a bunch of skins for your guns or enjoy that later TF2 system of unlocking random stuff, this is the game for you. If you like 1.6, play 1.6.

Anyone who says that the target audience of this game was 1.6 players don’t know the history of this game. It was originally supposed to target console players. This is why the game still has things like a buy wheel instead of a a menu. I was in the beta. There are still bugs in the game that were in the beta. Also, the interp is all over the place. Essentially they put a whole lot of bells and whistles around a mediocre game.

Of course, this is all my opinion. It is not like 1.6 or Source. It is it’s own version of Counter-Strike. But still Counter-Strike. So if you see it on sale, it is worth getting.

• Deschain says:

Personally I loved 1.6 and CZ. Played CZ more than anything else. My buddy and I got CSS and i was just.. terrible at it. I could never get it, i couldn’t score decently and overall couldn’t play it. I felt like counterstrike again recently so picked up GO on my summer sale and I have to say I was very, very impressed.

My intuitive skills/reflexes from 1.6/CZ seem intact (unlike in CSS) and my KD is fairly good, even accounting for how rusty I am. I’ve had a ton of fun not only playing classic, but playing all of the other modes. Gungame was always one of my favorites, so it’s great to be able to sit back and play it whenever I want. Overall I really recommend GO.

• jonfitt says:

How many CS 1.6 players does it take to change a lightbulb?
      CHANGE!?!?!?!!!!1111

7. Biaxident says:

Not sure why Counter Strike beta is referred to several times, notably in relation to AS_Oilrig. That map was in like 1.4/1.5 (and 1.6 possibly?) which wasn’t a beta…

• Bull0 says:

Probably because it was first introduced during the beta. As in, back when CS was a Half-Life mod, pre-1.6.

Think as_oilrig first appeared in beta 6.0.

8. Shodex says:

Oh boy, can’t wait to pay real money to use mods for a limited time.

• kevinspell says:

Go buy your self another premium package ;)

• Bull0 says:

So the maps are free but the fact you can optionally buy a pass to maybe win a skin upsets you?

Whereas in, say, Battlefield or COD, you have to pay for the maps, meaning the community splits.

• Film11 says:

I’ve been in the same boat as you but this update is different apparently. The new maps have been opened up for everyone to play on, even those who don’t have the pass, so that’s good.

Bull0: except you have to pay to play on the maps since hardly anyone hosted them, everyone just used the matchmaking service… which you had to pay for. So they weren’t really free at all. Which just makes me more surprised as to why Valve has changed things up, this is going to bring them less money for sure, and it was fairly obvious up til now they didn’t really give a damn about providing actual value to players anymore, preferring to nickel and dime everyone to death like the rest.

• Bull0 says:

Bit of a tricky argument. It’s not Valve’s fault if nobody wanted to host the maps.

• kalirion says:

The weapon cases that can drop for you if you buy the pass are selling for about $4 a piece (subtract 15% for market fee) http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/730/Operation%20Breakout%20Weapon%20Case

9. GeneJacket says:

CS:GO is one of the few games that I genuinely don’t mind paying a little extra for every now and then. I generally like most of the new Operations maps (except Motel from the last one, man I hated that one), so another few bucks to get new drops and such isn’t a big deal.

10. Nickfury says:

Black Gold is a terrible map for competitive, its definitely a dm or gungame map. and 6$? come one, every other operation package was less than half that.

11. spectone says:

The CS:GO community would never be split by new maps because voting will always go back to de_dust2.

12. sd4f says:

But they haven’t fixed the map load crash bug… Really annoying me, can’t play more than two or three small maps, or more than one large map without the game crashing to desktop.