Doom 4 Reveal Will Not Leave QuakeCon, Apparently

By Nathan Grayson on July 2nd, 2014 at 10:00 am.

NO DON'T LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEEEEE, I'M NOT READY YETTTTT

So the new Doom game will emerge from its eons-long hellsleep at QuakeCon later this month. That much is known. I don’t think it was unreasonable for people to assume that any and all footage would make its way onto the Internet in short order, given that this is the year 2014. That, however, apparently isn’t the plan. Bethesda and id want to make this reveal special for QuakeCon attendees, so it’s for their eyes only. I guess that means press folks like me will just have to settle for writing about it. Yuck, writing about videogames? It’ll never catch on.

They explained in a blog post:

“You’ve been clamoring for it for years, and now the wait is almost over. As announced in our E3 teaser trailer, fans in attendance at QuakeCon 2014 will have the opportunity to get a sneak peek at what’s been going on with the new DOOM game from id Software.

“This an exclusive thing we are doing for attendees as part of our Annual QuakeCon Welcome presentation. We’ll have plenty more to show everyone at a later date, but we didn’t want another QuakeCon to go by without doing something special for the amazing QC community and id supporters that have been with us for more than 20 years.”

Bethesda confirmed to Polygon that there will not be a stream of the presentation, so unless some sneaky cyberdemon manages to patch something through your prying eyes may instead end up crying eyes.

Oh well. Knowing the way “exclusives” work in this industry, I doubt id will keep its non-QuakeCon legions at bay for long. The real question, then, is whether or not it will look any good, given the long-running rumors of bigtime development woes at id. They don’t even have tech (and QuakeCon public speaking) legend John Carmack anymore, so it will certainly be an… interesting reveal, to say the least.

Here’s hoping for a solid game despite all that. I’ll be there, and I will lovingly paint you a trailer with my words. Expect lots of BLAMMOS and POWEEBLOODS. Proper Bob Ross shit, right there.

, , , , , , .

1. FurryLippedSquid says:

What about id supporters who have been with you for 20 years but can’t afford to travel to Texas?

Hmmm?

• Zanchito says:

You get what you deserve for being poor.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

And possibly old and less attractive
        EDIT: Well ok, maybe you can stand in the back row, to flesh out the promo shots.

RedViv says:

Carmack may have left, but his spirit is present.

• observerrr says:

Ha haha ha hahahah ha, NO

I’m sorry I could not resist that sarcastic comment. I would like to believe you. Starting with Doom 3 Id games haven’t been the same. They might resemble their old titles, especially the new Wolfenstein using some copied mechanics, but this new Id team is nothing like the original one. By Carmack leaving, their last area of expertise, the engine, is going to stagnate just like everything else. It has been a long time coming but when he left, Id was officially dead.

• damoqles says:

Please don’t tell me that you think id made the new Wolf…

• Bent Wooden Spoon says:

I’m intrigued to know what this is meant to mean? I don’t keep up on videogame gossip, but is Carmack renowned as some kind of money-grubber? Because otherwise you see to have made a tasteless joke at someone’s expense, and you haven’t even had the good grace to at least make it funny.

• Niko says:

He likes Ferraris. I believe it’s a special kind of car that works only when a really rich person sits in it.

• El_Emmental says:

Oh please… He likes Ferraris like a kid likes Ferraris, he got the bright red one we all had as miniature cars because he always dreamed of driving it one day.

He never bragged about his money, never bought mansions after mansions, had one wife he met in 1997 at id (still with her, got 2 kids), and spent his spare money in Armadillo Aerospace, a startup working on space rockets (that remained active for 13 years, paused in 2013 because he ran out of funds) – how is that being a money-grabbing asshole ?

Yes he got rich, but he was never a rich asshole, he just became a rich nerd. But apparently for some people it’s still a crime, when you’re rich because you were successful thanks to your work and skills, you’re still a despicable person, even when you remain the same person and respect everyone just like before.

If we actually apply that flawed logic, everyone in the comments section here is a rich asshole: just look at the millions of people struggling to feed themselves, when everyone here is sitting on their arse and browsing the Internet for fun, playing video games on gaming rigs.

We’re no better than Carmack buying a red sport car because he got the money after years of learning how to code and working hard on countless projects: we bought a gaming rig after working and saving a few months, when we could have spent that cash on less “useless” crap and actually made the world a better place.

• Vin_Howard says:

Yah, why would they want the poor to soil their work by casting their filthy gaze upon it?

2. ran93r says:

Needs to be as good as the new Wolfenstein, which is a lot of fun.
    I still look at D3 and wonder why it exists.

• Volcanu says:

Doom 3 WAS good fun.

I’m in the minority but I thought it was a good, solid game- if a bit tonally different from Doom 1,2 and Final Doom.

• ran93r says:

It’s been a while since I played through it but my primary memory of the experience is “micro stutter… ohno.. something has spawned right behind me…again.”

The Sombrero Kid says:

Doom 3 was excellent my memory of it at the time was ruined by coming out at the same time as half life 2, but i went back to it later and it was an excellent first person shooter, much like rage, it’s a great game you can only appreciate once it’s been fixed up and your expectations have been suitably adjusted.

• Perjoss says:

Agreed, apart from the cheap enemy spawns here and there Doom 3 was fantastic. I remember at the time having a weak rig but i still really wanted to play it on max settings really badly, in the end I worked out that i could keep ecerything on max, have a smooth frame rate but have to play it in 640×480, it still looked fantastic and the pixilated look kind of grew on me.

• Syra says:

Doom 3 was kind of excellent, haters gonna hate. The odd monster closet seems to have stuck in the mind of the uncaring internet for some reason but it was choc full of gorgeous visuals entertainingly mindless enemies and grimdark themes.

The hell levels in particular were breathtaking for the time as the geometry rearranged itself around you.

• The First Door says:

Also, the lighting was fantastic. When you got into areas where the lighting dynamic, it was just lovely. In a grim… dirty, I’m going to get torn apart by hellish monster spiders sort of way.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

I can still hear the weapon reload sounds in my head. Soooo good

Harlander says:

Weirdly, the main thing that stuck in my mind about Doom 3 was the way interactive displays worked.

Also, that an automated system could detect that a pipe was broken and spewing burning gas anywhere, but required someone to push a button to active the automated pipe fixing process.

Oh oh oh! And a bureaucrat who wasn’t evil!

• CookPassBabtridge says:

I felt like such a genius when I found that control screen that let you open a secret locker and get shiny goodies. I think Doom 3 was the start of my serious loot addiction in gaming.

Mo says:

I’ve always looked forward to QuakeCon pretty much entirely for Carmack’s keynote. So disappointed it’s not happening this year. :(

• Syra says:

I feel your pain, I used to watch his hours of technobabble with glee even if I understood only about a quarter of it.

• Grygus says:

Watching his talks always made me feel smart and stupid at the same time.

4. Rao Dao Zao says:

I’d rather get Quake 5. Quake 4 ended on a sequel hook. :(

• dethtoll says:

I’d really rather they made Quake 5 a sequel to Quake 1 already. Quake 6 can continue the Stroggos war thing, I don’t mind.

distantlurker says:

Perhaps the plan is to release the footage on gaming mag front cover floppies, or dodgy, back door .edu FTP sites in Holland.

If any of these quotes come up at quakecon, this’ll totally be the plan.

“Back to our gaming roots” “It worked for the original!” “revisiting what was great about DOOM” “WAD FTW!”

6. Volcanu says:

What do people actually want from a modern Doom though?

You cant just remake Doom 1 or 2 with prettier graphics (there’s enough mods that do that) but if you make a totally modern FPS, or a ‘horror’ FPS then people will complain that it doesnt ‘feel’ like Doom and you may aswell have just called it something else (I think this is why Doom 3 gets such hate, it was by no means a bad game in and of itself).

So I suppose we are left with the rather nebulous concept of something modern that retains the atmosphere and ‘feel’ of Doom, without feeling like you’re playing something from the 90′s. But I haven’t really heard much in the way of concrete ideas as to what that game would be like. And I suspect that whichever route you take, there’s bound to be a horde of malcontents who will want to lynch you for it.

• Evil Pancakes says:

Well, I can only speak for myself, but I would be happy if new Doom was a bit like the Shadow Warrior reboot or the latest Wolfenstein (without the silly focus on seriousness at times). Something with quick movement and great gunplay, where you just shoot hordes of monsters in the face with awesome guns and level design on par with the classic doom games. That is really kind of what I missed with those two, the level design was just kind of meh, not awful or great, just meh.

A bit more ontopic: Bethesda and iD must really be naive if they think there won’t be anyone in the crowd filming stuff on their phone. As stated in the article, it’s 2014 people. The only thing that will be different is that the first releases of the trailer on the internet will be of extremely poor quality.

• derbefrier says:

Yeah that’s pretty much what I want out of a new doom. Games like shadow warrior and wolfenstien have proved you can maintain that old school feel with modern features. I do hope ID took note of that.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

@ EvilPancakes – re: your second paragraph, I would say its actually in their interests to have the footage leak, because then they will be leveraging the marketer’s wet dream of the scarcity principle. Its similar to an advert or music video being ‘banned’ – it makes people want to work harder to see it. If it comes out on a camera phone, it’ll have the added appeal of being illicit.

I think we can guarantee we will be seeing the footage soon, one way or another.

• mvar says:

Amen to that. I’d like to see Doom with the single-player fun of the recent SW and the multiplayer fun of Q3A

• GepardenK says:

I don`t want a remake of the original Dooms. But I want something in their spirit.

What I mean by that is a colorfull action fest with lots of blood and interesting enemies. Maze like explortaion levels and lots of powerups to find. Good music and even better visual feedback when you blow enemies back to the hell they came from.

In short: The game should make you “feel” like a lonesome badass hero batteling the forces of hell itself. Brutal Doom is a very good example that this formula still works with “modern” design

• rpsKman says:

That’s exactly what we wanted from Doom 3, perhaps they’ll get it right this time. Otherwise, there’s always Doom 5 in 2026.

JiminyJickers says:

Yes, exactly what I want too. I want to run and gun, give them both barrels, not walk slowly waiting for the next thing to pop out of a locker etc.

7. BooleanBob says:

The saddest arm cannon.

8. Not_Id says:

DOOM 4 is not an Id game. It’s a ZeniMax game. They’ll want us to believe that it’ an Id game, and they’ll probably have some nostalgic type trailer stating something like “From the developers that brought you DOOM”, but we won’t really believe that. Will we?

9. Spacewalk says:

Can’t we just call Quake 2 Doom 3, bump the other one up a number and get a new Keen game instead?

• Alfy says:

Took me 5 minutes to get this. I’m too old for this shit…

felisc says:

I don’t get it. What does glwt mean ? I refuse to google it, explain your weird language, you youngsters.

10. Scroll says:

The rest of the world will have to settle for awful quality footage recorded by a phone then?

Not exactly a great first impression that a very large part of their audience will attain.

RedViv says:

Seems inevitable.

• GepardenK says:

Actually, thats a great first impression. Very powerfull. Like the monster you barely see in a horror movie

Don Reba says:

Start planning your adjectives in advance.

12. b0rsuk says:

When you play Doom today, it doesn’t feel much like you’re controlling a human or moving through real spaces. Try this though: press the TAB key, type IDDT twice and pretend you’re playing Geometry Wars, and the moving triangles are your enemies. This is what Doom’s designers were working from in 1993 – back then, the idea of a first person shooter was barely established, and their closest models for many mechanics were from 2D shooters like Robotron, Berserk and Tempest. This approach echoes throughout Doom’s design. The notion of realism in FPS design wouldn’t appear for another few years, and many decisions were made simply on the basis of being good for abstract shooter gameplay.

Partly thanks to this, many parts of Doom’s “game feel” still compare favorably with modern twitch games. Enemy speeds and patterns are very finely tuned, weapon design is strongly orthogonal, player movement has a nice friction to it and level design elucidates all of this. Quake 3 is still considered the pinnacle of arcadey FPS movement and feel, and that lineage starts with Doom – some of the code is even similar.

Doom is about “maneuverability as defense”

In almost every modern FPS, the player moves fairly slowly and a huge proportion of enemies are equipped with instant hit attacks – pistols, machine guns, sniper rifles. This usually puts the player in the role of “damage sponge” – they’re intended to soak up a certain amount of damage from mostly unavoidable enemy attacks, then seek cover and heal up. Halo’s recharging shield makes this mechanic quite explicit – by default, you’re exposed to damage and will die, while seeking cover halts that and completes the basic cycle of any combat.

(…)

Source: 2010 article “Lessons from Doom” by Coelacanth, a Bioshock designer. I’m not posting the link because I’d get auto-censored.

• Turkey says:

That sounds like a cool Doom 4 game for the people in the parallel universe where AAA console gaming never took over in the early ’00s.

13. CookPassBabtridge says:

See Imp over other side of room.
    Select shotgun
    Wait for Imp’s incoming fireball
    Scoot sideways to avoid fireball, and then forward sprint
    Shove muzzle in Imp’s face before it can react
    Pointblank one-shot shotgun blast. Blood. Gibs.

Ahhhh good times.

14. DThor says:

I guess when your product has devolved to a tech demo, you need to keep up the mystery appeal. Cue denying your customers to generate gimme gimmes.

Well, that’s not fair. Doom has been nothing but a tech demo for years.

15. Lion Heart says:

ive played id games for 10 or 15 years since i was a kid if they want to delay the game for years and then give a cryptic reveal trailer THEN screw every supporter who doesnt live in the usa by not giving the info out to the internet? fuck them im done i honestly really hope doom 4 sucks now just as a fuck you to them.

• Distec says:

Dude, it’s just a sneak peek. You’re not missing out on anything. I get the disappointment, but this seems like a ridiculous reason to dissolve whatever “relationship” you have with id.

16. XhomeB says:

So… they’re too afraid that gameplay footage showing ultra linear level design with omnipresent CoD-like scripts and lame combat with mandatory iron sight ™ usage will see the light of day too early, eh?

Because I’m afraid that’s the kind of game we’ll end up getting.

• Distec says:

Has id made this game in the past?

• XhomeB says:

Rage got DANGEROUSLY close to being such a game, so the answer would be… yes, and it pains me to write these words.
        The sad thing is, Tim Willits considers Rage “the best game id have ever made”, which mades me super worried the new Doom will suck.

17. jo-shadow says:

So… Shakycam? Shakycam.

18. Wytefang says:

Like they’re going to be able to stop footage from leaking out. Yeah, okay, good luck with that. LOL

19. Grovester says:

Wot I want:

1. Lots of monsters. Like, tons of them. I loved that feeling in Doom/Doom2 of being chased by the massed legions of Hell, rather than, in Doom 3, of wandering down a corridor, having an Imp teleport Imp behind me, shoot, wander down corridor etc. Also Dark Souls has done the “wander down corridor, meet nasty creature, spend ages trying to kill nasty creature” thing perfectly, so Doom 4 shouldn’t even try.
    2. Monsters that hate each other almost as much as they hate you. No better way of beating some of the toughest levels than to aim a rocket in such a way that causes the demons to start shooting at each other. Huge fun.
    3. Chaos. That’s 1+2. Makes for fun, fun, fun. You want to feel like you’re constantly on the edge of total disorder breaking out, not predictable waves of creatures.
    4. Lots of ammo. Conserving ammo is NOT FUN and is NOT DOOM. What’s the point of a BFG if you can hardly ever use it?
    5. Bleeding edge graphics. Lots of monsters, looking very very scary, with no slowdown. None. Nicht. Nada. Don’t care if I have to buy a new graphics card. Doom made me do it, Quake made me do it. Come on Doom 4, let’s see what you can do.
    6. Above all, entertain me. Doom 3 was dull. Rage was dull. Quake, unless you were playing multiplayer, was dull.

• Niko says:

Amen to that. I sometimes have dreams of playing a Doom-like game, undoubtedly fueled by countless hours spent playing Doom, and the prevalent feeling is being surrounded by tons of monsters in locations witn weird geometry.

• Distec says:

I recently had a run through Doom 1 and 2 with the Brutal mod. I was expecting a few nostalgic kicks, but no. It was a total blast! After a hard day of work, going home, and looking through my 100 Steam games, I opted for Doom almost every time. It’s odd that I found my true appreciation for the game all this time later.

And now – twenty years since I first saw the family patriarch blasting away at imps with a shotgun – I understand what Papa was getting out of the experience.

20. JackMultiple says:

I can’t wait for the shareware version! It’ll be so good, I’ll just play that over and over like I did DOOM. Party like it’s 1994!