Beleaguered: Riot Closing League Of Legends’ Public Chat

By Nathan Grayson on July 2nd, 2014 at 11:00 am.

I’ve not really frequented them, but I have it on good authority that League of Legends‘ public chat rooms are pretty nasty. Whose, you ask? Why the authority (named for a total lack of authority) that matters most in this case: Riot. They’re so fed up with what public chat (read: non-private rooms; those have mostly taken its place) has become that they’re yanking the cord altogether. For the time being, anyway. Big upgrades are needed to keep away griefers and spammers, so Riot’s taking the necessary time to send them packing.

Riot laid out the problem in a quick blog post:

“The official public chat rooms have grown rife with RP sellers, scammers and Elo-boost spam. The default four rooms we established can be used by a tiny fraction of our players at a time. Given the number of League players, most conversation spills into private, community-created rooms.”

“Unfortunately, private chat rooms and even the awesome community hubs like Dominate Dominion and Summoner School lack moderation tools beyond the ignore button. While the experience in private chat rooms is better than the public versions, we still want to provide tools to address unwelcome drop-ins and toxic behavior.”

“As an immediate action we’re going to disable the public chat rooms until they’re useful and accessible. In their current shape they just don’t work and can actively create negative experiences for many players (especially new players).”

Private chat rooms and messaging, however, will remain unaffected for the time being.

In the future, Riot hope to have chat channels, hangouts, or whatever they end up being called for all sorts of topics – persistent spaces for people to gather and chatter about anything from jungling, to mentoring, to champion theory-crafting, to casual ARAM, to ranked games.

Right now, however, the tools aren’t good enough, and Riot fully admit that. So continues Riot’s ceaseless crusade against toxic community shenanigans and those who might take advantage of their fledgling multi-million dollar economy. I wish them the best of luck in that, though it’s one heck of an uphill battle. Online communities, you guys. When I first signed up for this world-wide communications web thing, nobody told me I’d have to deal with other people.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Asdfreak says:

It’s quite ironic that the first poster on an article about spammers in public chats is a spammer. Also, who would seriously think that a company called noobjobs would pay you 77$ per hour?
    Edit: I think they took the right steps, but aside from blocking spammers and griefers I don’t see how they can improve on the toxic evilness of the people usually atrackted by these chats. I don’t think anyone will ever be able to build a noobfriendly chat in such a public spot.

2. hideinlight says:

HoN simply has better admin tools. HoN 1 is particular is always full and have multiple GMs.
    The problem however is, after the game has grown above a certain age, people don’t tend to be that talkative anymore in the chat rooms.

And in DOTA2 chat consist mostly of trade spam.

• toxic avenger says:

How would you describe HoN to someone who has only BRIEFLY played Dota 2 (the training missions) and and maybe one game of LoL, who is looking for something easier to step into, but nothing absolutely brainless?

• grom.5 says:

Not to describe HoN

If you want something easier than Lol, you can try Heroes of the Storm from Blizzard. It is not brainless, but far less complicated for a starter (no last hit, no gold => no item to buy)

• Nevard says:

Well I mean, no you can’t. It’s still in closed Alpha, and the first wave of EU invites was only sent out yesterday.
          What you can do is make a Battle.net account and cross your fingers for Heroes of the Storm.

• shaydeeadi says:

HoN is DoTA2 with different opportunities to grief during the average game and some different heroes. I quite like the art style of HoN, it has recently had custom games added, it’s free so all you lose is time by trying it. It’s definitely not easier than League though.

Hypocee says:

I’d jump in and say that given HoN did years of hardcorier-than-thou with Dota, you probably want Heroes of the Storm (when it exists for mortals) or Awesomenauts.

3. chiablo says:

LoL shuts down a chatroom and it gets coverage, but there’s nothing on Rock, Paper, Shotgun about The International prize pool exceeding 10 million dollars?

• Phendron says:

Someone brings up the Dota 2 pissing contest every time LoL gets a footnote.

• Joeydark says:

Only 10 million? They are gonna have to step their game up. Because i’m in a different league then riot.

• Alice O'Connor says:

I’m the biggest Dota player at RPS and no, that figure doesn’t particularly excite me in itself. I posted about the launch of the Compendium, which is boosting this number, and I’ll definitely be posting about The International when it gets rolling. But as an abstract number floating around not really doing anything yet, $10 million isn’t especially interesting to me.

I didn’t post about it passing $9 million either. Or $8 million. Or $7 million. Is $10 million the point where I’m supposed to be excited? Anyone following Dota 2 could have predicted this Big Round Number weeks ago. I imagine I’ll next post about/including the current count when TI4 kicks off or if Valve does an interesting new thing with the Compendium, when it feels relevant. This is just a number. One that shows Dota 2 is hugely popular, but we knew that.

• Shodex says:

“$10 million isn’t especially interesting to me.”
        What Alice is really saying here is she is actually Lara Croft and this kind of money is small change.

In all seriousness though, I agree. The fact that some folks (none of which will be me) will, at the end of a tournament, will make a lot of money isn’t really news in itself. When somebody HAS made a lot of money playing video games, then it’s news.

• P.Funk says:

You clearly fail to comprehend when to correctly become excited by arbitrary milestones in societies bound by the decimal system.

mechtroid says:

The one notable thing about 10 million dollars is it’s the point Valve ran out of things to reward their players with. All growth from this point on is solely from people wanting what the compendium already holds.

4. Bent Wooden Spoon says:

“we still want to provide tools to address unwelcome drop-ins and toxic behavior.”

The only way this will be remotely achievable is to shoot every copy of the game, the source code, and the devs into space. They’re not personally to blame, but sadly behaviour along these lines is an inevitability when you make a game that hits such a broad mass market.

• Ringwraith says:

Unlike say, Counter-Strike which is almost niche by today’s standards and is still populated by less-than-civil people.
      It’s a problem with people mostly, and you can’t ‘fix’ that, just minimise the damage.

• Tei says:

A programmer can survive in space more than a few minutes. Its time enough to send to earth the source code of the chat primitives, and the REST api protocol for it, in morse code.

In Seatle and San Franscico when they finish with programmers, they usually burn them, so they don’t go to other company and use what they have learned.

In the USA legal system is also legal for them to kill their childrens and make sure their wife dies of famine. Legal, maybe immoral, but ok.