Gods Will Be Watching On Its Release Date: July 24th

By Graham Smith on July 3rd, 2014 at 12:00 pm.

The beautiful pixel art in Gods Will Be Watching is a trick, designed to lull you into the false assumption that its point and click story will be about comical pirate japes or wacky bipedal dogs solving off-beat crimes. In reality, it’s about doing awful, seemingly necessary things to people who don’t deserve it for the sake of the greater good. If Jack Bauer read a lot of Robert Heinlein novels and became a videogame designer, this is what he’d make.

It’s due out on July 24th and there’s a new, grisly, bloody, maybe-NSFW trailer below.

Gods Will Be Watching is a minimalistic “point and click thriller” centered on despair, commitment, and sacrifice as players face narrative puzzles and moral dilemmas that will affect both the lives of your team and the people you’re are sworn to protect. Set against the backdrop of an interstellar struggle, Gods Will Be Watching follows Sgt. Burden and his crew in six tense chapters from hostage situations and wilderness survival to biological weapon prevention and agonizing torture scenarios. Each decision is crucial and players will need to choose between the lives of their team and the saving the world from genocide. There’s no good or evil, just decisions, with only you and the gods as a judge to your actions.

The trailer makes it look briefly like “Burden” is just the name of the action menu, and I’m a little sad now that this isn’t the case.

Gods Will Be Watching started as a Ludum Dare entry, which you can still play online over here. It’s a neat demo of what to expect in the final game, which has been expanded using the funding from an IndieGoGo campaign to include a larger story, more locations, and by the looks of it more horrible, violent decisions.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. goalcam says:

Played the demo over and over again ages ago. Went to preorder it just now, somewhat begrudgingly considering the damage that the recent Steam sale had done to my wallet, but thankfully found that I had done so back in February.

My stack of super interesting indie games that I’ll get to someday probably, hopefully, maybe, grows a tiny a bit bigger on July 24.

• goalcam says:

Oh who am I even kidding, I’m going to be playing this one as soon as it comes out.

• KippleBoy says:

I, too, was very interested to see how this would develop from a Ludum Dare thing into a full game. So much so, that I didn’t hesitate to contribute to the crowd funding campaign they ran, almost a year ago.
      I slightly regret doing so, as I have found out that pre-ordering the game now would have cost me less (by about 20%) than what I have donated to the project.
      So much for gratitude for “without your help we could not make this game”… : (
      Every day I feel less and less inclined to support projects, although I really think new developers should get their chance to make them. Especially the innovative and unusual ones.

• XCrusherX says:

Well, that’s why it’s called a donation. You know, as in “donate”, spending money without getting anything in return. It’s not to get a good deal out of it, but because you wish the project to succeed.

DrollRemark says:

You do realise that, had you not bothered to back the project in the first place, it might never have actually made it to the point of being able to take pre-orders now?

That’s the whole point of crowd funding. Not providing an item equal to the value of the money you pledge.

2. JFS says:

What the fucking fuck! Maybe tag this trailer as NSFW, or at least put up a clearer warning that the thing is a little nastier than “grisly”.

By the way, is this the game that once was a browser thingie where everyone and a robot were sitting around the campfire and had to survive some sort of apocalypse?

• goalcam says:

Yep, it’s linked towards the end of the article. It was made as part of Ludum Dare and now they’ve fleshed it out into a full game.

I never did beat that demo.

• frightlever says:

Well damn. Can’t see me playing this.

Way more Farnham’s Freehold than Time Enough For Love.

3. Kobest says:

I’m looking forward to this one, and I’m also sure they refined the mechanics presented in the ludum dare entry. The only thing that bugged me in the game was that people would flip out too easily and it would turn into a clicking-fest for the same things.

And whoa…rare to see a Hungarian word in a game (apart from Halo: Reach), so I’ll make sure Dr. Zenész (“Dr. Musician”) survives the game. :D

4. Gilead says:

I know I’m meant to look forward to this as an exploration into the possibilities of game narrative and player choice, etc, but looking at the art style, I would really like this to be a game about comical pirates or bipedal dogs. A nice point-and-click adventure game, maybe 4-6 hours long, with a cast of hilarious characters, and fewer torture sequences.

5. Mittens89 says:

This game looks messed up.

I’ll take 3.

6. Majnun says:

You can pre-order on GOG for a whopping one dollar off (which is better than zero dollars off I guess).

Anyway it’s $8.99 over there.

No clue what it’ll be on steam or anywhere else, but I’d assume about $10.

7. Opellulo says:

As far i like narrative innovative games the demo really troubled me; It’s sad, bleak and real in a way that really sticked to me after i closed the browser.

I’m surely going to buy the game for support but never going to play it.