Going Underground: Killing Floor’s Summer Update

By Alice O'Connor on July 3rd, 2014 at 2:00 pm.

Typical Central Line--headless people spraying blood everywhere.

Summer has arrived in London, and it’s pretty glorious all right. But I say that as someone on the third floor with a nice south-facing window and a cat dozing in the sunlight. Parts of London are today, I say exaggerating only an awful lot, Hellish. You hop on the Central Line during rush hour tonight and you’ll see. So where better to set a level in a co-op horror shooter?

Killing Floor‘s annual summer update has arrived, with goodies including a new Underground map and a new playable mutant-murdering lady. And, as they cannily do with big updates, developers Tripwire have also launched a few new paid DLC packs and put the game on sale.

The centrepiece of the update is Transit, a new objective-based map about destroying a base hidden in the Underground, which leads into Killing Floor 2‘s Parisian adventures too. It’s a linear map with objectives like “blow that door up” and “kill those mutants,” guided by the daughter of that super-nerd boss mutant, the Patriarch. I’ve had a crack and it’s fun enough; I shot lots of mutants and it has a “mind the gap” joke. It didn’t feel much like the Underground, but do games ever?

Rachel Clamely’s a new player character too, unlocked by completing achievements on Transit. It’s nice to see another overtly female character (do people still bicker about the identity of TF2’s Pyro?), and the first that’s not either paid DLC or only unlockable during special events. A shame she’s not playable by default, though.

Transit’s also playable in Wave mode, joining the update’s two new Wave-only maps: a castle in Stronghold, and the snowy smalltown Siren’s Belch.

To get more people joining in the summer fun, Tripwire have knocked 75% off the price on Steam, bringing it to £3.74. All DLC is half-price too, except for the new packs of neon weapon and skins.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Crimsoneer says:

This game is a shining example of how to care for your community. I may not love all of their games, but I have immense respect for Tripwire as a studio, in no small part because of Killing Floor.

• Xan says:

Same here. I don’t like Killing Floor much, bought it on a sale but the gameplay just didn’t click with me.

I can however say that Tripwire is awesome for updating the game so much.

• bstard says:

++. Buying that DLC just because I’m feeling Im stealing their work. So many maps since I bought that vanilla game, so much weapons and skinns and archievements. Amazing, if only KF2 is gonna be halve this good.

• wxsampson says:

On the whole I agree.

One exception to their record here though is a persistent bug that not infrequently prevents Mac players from recording their Perk progress. It’s very frustrating and has been around for years. Tripwire indicated they were testing it but it’s not been solved, and this update doesn’t mention it. It’s much sadness.

2. Lion Heart says:

anyone whos been on any underground transport especially the tube will know this is a bloody simulation

DarkLiberator says:

Easily the best 15 bucks i ever spent. They’re still updating the game for free after all these years even with Killing Floor 2 on the horizon.

4. Shooop says:

Blah, blah, tunnel, blah blah, father-monster, blah blah. We don’t need no stinking story here, this is Killing Floor!

Tripwire is something else. Game’s four years old and they’re still making major updates for it! And all the pay-for DLC are aesthetics and nothing that affect the game play in the slightest! Is it wrong to love this company? Then I don’t want to be right.

• wxsampson says:

There are weapon packs which do affect gameplay (not just re-skins). Not that the default set is deficient in any way.

• ScubaMonster says:

Yeah there are some weapons in the packs that are pretty good, but nothing close to game breaking or making you feel inefficient because you didn’t spend money. They are more of a bonus than anything else.

5. rustybroomhandle says:

For some reason this comes to mind:

6. Truck_Rockpec says:

Time to reinstall, so I can play as the dudes from TRON. I’ve gotten 100+ hours out of Killing Floor, I’ll be really interested to see what they do with the sequel.

7. satan says:

Was just thinking about firing up killing floor earlier, splendid.

8. Hensler says:

The Pyro is/maybe a female? Huh.

Jalan says:

It’s part of a long running speculation that the Meet the Team video for the Pyro would reveal who was under the gas mask and suit – the majority guesses were that it would be a female. Of course all hopes of finding out the answer were dashed when that video was finally released, but by then it didn’t really matter anymore (sort of like anyone holding out hopes that the Soldier isn’t just a crazy trashcan-living hobo who wears military gear).

• pepper says:

In the “Meet the Pyro” video one of the other character says “He’s not here, is he?!”:

So yeah, I can think we can safely presume its male, or something.

• El_Emmental says:

Or not… the official TF2 blog played along and sneakily changed “he” to “she” for a few minutes :)

It seems Valve wants to keep it that way, undetermined gender/sex, because a bit of mystery is always fun, but it’s also a good way to introduce the idea of a female member in the mercenary team (and not just the Administrator and Miss Pauling).

• HadToLogin says:

That video is final proof Pyro is male.

Otherwise RPS would start crusade against Valve that “of course only female in team spends whole day thinking about girly things like unicorns, but she also cater to “women-are-insane” stereotype, by showing her girly thoughts are resulting in biggest PMS ever”.

Jalan says:

Neon gun skins. Horse armor.

….
    …..
    ……

I give up.

• ScubaMonster says:

This is actually the best sort of DLC. It doesn’t hinder your enjoyment in the game whatsoever if you don’t buy them. Cosmetic items are the best sort of DLC. I’ll take neon skins over paid map DLC. I only buy them to support Tripwire and have something cool looking in return. The weapon packs aren’t pay to win either. Some argue that a few of the weapons in the packs are a little OP, but I don’t see that. The default weapons are more than enough to win the game and do well. Even though I have the weapon packs I usually just use the default weapons anyway.

People complain about trivial paid DLC, but then they also complain about buying significant content like having to buy maps, etc. I’ll take the first one.

DrollRemark says:

The Central Line is the worst line.