Not Going Quietly Into The Night: Broforce Updated

By Ben Barrett on July 4th, 2014 at 3:00 pm.

Ah, July 4th, that day once per year when America goes flag-flying, eagle-saluting crazy in celebration of overthrowing some vile oppressor. No idea who those villains might be, but we can all celebrate that Free Lives air dropped an update for their platforming mega-blaster Broforce one day early. Along with a couple of new characters, audio magician Joonas Turner (who’s helped out with Nuclear Throne and The Swapper, among others) bestowed his voice as an announcer. Check out the details below to save the world.

First on the introduction block is Cherry Broling, a machine-gun legged heroine that Robert Rodriguez fans may find familiar. Free Lives informs us that she’s the first bro to shoot in a direction that isn’t forward, an incredible advance in technology.

Then there’s Colonel James Broddock, likely a relation of Brodell Walker, who’s affinity for grenades is rather strong. My British nervous system needs a cup of tea just thinking about all the justice being dealt out.

You can see the full list of changes over on the announcement post. If that’s not enough for you, Marsh had a look at a build back in April and was rather impressed. In the mean time, the game itself is grabable in beta form on Steam and Humble, with discounts on both running this weekend.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. toxic avenger says:

I really loved this game, though I felt one of the only major things that needed improved was more maps, something to keep me coming back after I completed the game, and maybe more female “bros” (which they’ve definitely been working on). I saw their last update toned down the difficulty of the chopper boss, though I haven’t played it in its revised state. That probably was my favorite part, due in part to its difficulty and the near perfect run needed to beat it made you really feel like a bad ass.

Now that you mention it, going to fire the game up right now!

• MellowKrogoth says:

*facepalm* Why do people have to ask for females in everything, including the most absurd celebration of testosterone? Not that I really mind, but maybe apply some rationality to your demands people?

2. RyanOliver says:

I cannot stop playing this game. What a great what to spend America Day, with the Bros.

3. JB says:

I <3 Broforce

4. Ansob says:

Broforce is great. The one thing about it that bugs me is that there’s a rudimentary alertness system for enemies which is completely unused and would basically be an excuse to introduce a bro with silenced guns (perhaps, say, “James Brond”) which they haven’t done yet.

• FriendlyFire says:

I’d prefer Double-bro Seven myself.

• Ben Barrett says:

for some reason this made me think of Seven of Nine first, which would be WAAAAAY better

• TheBigBookOfTerror says:

Jack Broer? Perhaps he could disguise himself like an enemy briefly.I know they want to add a character based on Tank Girl at some point and I’m hoping that she will come with a vehicle update as otherwise, she wouldn’t be a very good Tank Girl.

I’ve not regretted getting this game. I preordered when it was just the free browser version (which was damn good fun on it’s own) and the steady stream of updates and the addition of a level editor have meant it’s been great value for money already.

• Tatty says:

George Lazenbro

• ThTa says:

It’s not exactly unused, though. Since it forces the players to be more aware/cautious of their surroundings and positioning. But they can’t overdo it, since emphasizing that part would make Ramb(r)o-ing levels less viable, which is a pretty key aspect of the game. Right now it actually strikes a pretty perfect balance, IMO, as it still rewards rushing in and taking care of things quickly. (I.e., as long as you do things before the enemies get the chance to react, you’re in the clear.)

That said, a stealth character could definitely be a lot of fun. The Broforce: The Dark Broject patch would introduce characters who benefit from unaware enemies and backstabs combined with some ways to remain undetected, Brogues, if you will, as well as a ghost, Broo, that can literally only do things if the enemies aren’t alert and facing him.

5. NetsukeMonkey says:

Multiplayer stealth – Rainbro 6?

6. Uncompetative says:

Brade is my favourite.

7. Strangeblades says:

I wanna see the company’s whiteboard for the bro-names. The rejected ones, they maybe ones, the definite ones.

Comment on this story