Witcher MOBA ‘Possible’ On PC, But Nothing Yet

By Nathan Grayson on July 4th, 2014 at 11:00 am.

You may or may not have heard, but CD Projekt has partnered with Fuero Games to make a Witcher MOBA. A mobile Witcher MOBA. It’s called Witcher: Battle Arena, so you won’t confuse it with Witcher: Hockey Arena or Witcher: Arena Rock. And yes, I know this world already has more than enough MOBAs, but this one looks kinda OK. So I had to ask, what are its PC prospects? CDP was, as ever, straightforward: a PC version could happen, but it’s not happening yet. You should probably gird your lusty loins for more spin-offs of Geralt’s lustacular lustventures, though. CDP seems quite keen on doing those.

First though, why no Witcher MOBA on PC? CDP looked at the landscape pragmatically; PC is overrun by the things, and nobody wants to be the one hundred and first dalmatian. CDP’s Tadek Zieliński explained:

“The game is built in Unity Engine, so technically it would be possible [to bring the game to PC]. That being said, the PC MOBA market is pretty much full of awesome games so we’re focusing on mobile for now.”

On the upside, PC is currently getting one Witcher spin-off, a boardgame called Witcher Adventure Game, and of course The Witcher 3. And in case you were wondering, no, these spin-offs aren’t detracting from Witcher or Cyberpunk development time. I asked CEO Marcin Iwinski about that during E3, and he claimed that CDP’s main projects are unaffected by these. Battle Arena, for instance, has been its own separate thing for nearly two years now, Zieliński told me.

What about in future, though? Will there be more baby Witchers, for instance my dream game, The Witcher: Babies? Other games like Cyberpunk 2077 are also on the way, providing more opportunities for smaller side projects. Again, CDP told me, nothing is set in stone, but they want to do more. Said Zieliński:

“Our mission, as you probably know,  is to create the best RPGs in the world, and that doesn’t change. But if there is a good idea floating around that’s beneficial to the community, and also in line with our philosophy, then why not have a stab at it? If we can uphold the quality we strive to uphold, and be fair with gamers, we’re always eager to do new things.”

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Detocroix says:

Still waiting for that Sims Moba… I hope it comes soon.

2. Arvind says:

I guess you can call it a…MOBAile Witcher.

3. kael13 says:

Can’t even begin to imagine how frustrating a touch-based mobile MOBA game would be. Would a controller be a requirement?

• MkMax says:

Frequently screaming “NOOB!” at the screen every 2 minutes and being generally enraged at everything are the only requirements

• secuda says:

i hope they atleast have a chatt system that take upp halfe the screen ^^

• Koozer says:

I tried one a quite a while ago. If I recall correctly you tapped to move, tapped to attack, and activated abilities via a series of buttons along the bottom of the screen. Then I remembered I had a PC and uninstalled.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

I’d imagine last hitting gets replaced by cow clicking and all the players faff around for about 3 days trying to complete the game. Also they have to pay money every time they want to buy an item or gain a level.
      You lost a tower? No problem, just pay $5 to replace it. Easy.
      Sounds like fun…………..

4. Darth Gangrel says:

If this game comes to PC, I will have to change (or, oh the horror, even delete) this meme-tastic image I made, because it will then no longer be true, static3.gamespot.com/uploads/original/105/1051846/2457214-everyone.jpg. Even though I knew it was probably inevitable that such a day would come, it’s always a bit sad to see it arrive.

5. Christo4 says:

I want to say that i don’t really hate MOBA. It is fun sometimes.
    But what i do hate, is when they all try to copy each-other, never offering anything new.
    That is something so annoying…
    I would like to see something like a moba, but instead of always the same types of gameplay, for them to do something original, i don’t know maybe escort or convoy protection, or maybe even a huge map with different objectives (this would be really interesting imo, with 10 players on each side).
    Just not the same old 3 lane, creeps and jungle…

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Yep. It’s not even a genre. It’s barely a subgenre. It’s basically just one game, reskinned and slightly tweaked, over and over.

It’s the exact same stupid thing that’s still going on with most MMOs. Just copy a proven profitable formula, because companies (and individual developers) are terrified of trying to create something new.

• Christo4 says:

Well it could maybe be called a subgenre of the RTS genre? Or something like that.

• Hauskamies says:

Then go play something different. The amount of people enjoying the concept is absolutely ridiculous and any attempt at “originality”(changing the amount of lanes/players/objectives won’t actually necessarily change the feeling of the game and usually end up sucking as witnessed by some of the attempts to do so) would lose those people. Just because lol and dota have the same concept doesn’t mean are much alike at all while lol’s dominion still feels and plays like lol even though they changed the map and objectives.

• secuda says:

If i am not totally wrong “monday fight night” had some change to moba in third person perspektive.

6. RedViv says:

I only want to see if Saskia will be a Shyvana copy. €: Ah, the OTT site has told me that she is basically Leona.

7. Turkey says:

Can’t decide if I want to play as the checkmark guy or Doctor Doom.

8. XhomeB says:

I think they’re too afraid the game wouldn’t be able to compete with Dota, LoL and myriad of other MOBAs already on the market, and I can’t blame them for that.
    Anyway, I like the genre, but I much prefer proper RTSs, preferably with base building. I don’t know, MOBAs are pretty… monotonous? It’s the same thing every game, not much variety.

• Jackablade says:

Couldn’t the same accusation be reasonably aimed at the majority of RTS?

• Hauskamies says:

The thing is, there is more variety in Dota2 than there is in pretty much any game I’ve ever played. Starcraft II for example doesn’t come even close to the variety of Dota.

9. Zorlan says:

God, why.. the market is over saturated as it is, why put in more shit? While The Witcher’s universe is awesome, I for one don’t want to play a MOBA with its characters. If CDPR wants to use more money on the franchise then they should put it on development of TW3 so they don’t have to release an “enhanced edition” after a year or two.

Sigh.

10. Lion Heart says:

DO NOT WANT you hear me? DO NOT WANT. the witcher is a good game series dont ruin it….

• EvaUnit02 says:

Because the existence of a spin-off or two that are of different genres ruins the rest of the franchise, amirite? You don’t have to play it (nor the upcoming Witcher CCG launching with GOG Galaxy in August) and can ignore its existence, job done. By all means though don’t let common sense and reasonable logic interfere with your irrational Angry Internet Man mouth-breathing.

11. P-Dizzle says:

Ooh another moba. How very creative.

• huw says:

Ooh another RPG, how creative. Ooh another shooter, how creative. Ooh another strategy game, how creative. Ooh another platformer, how creative.

• Ringwraith says:

Except it’s following the MMORPG deluge that followed World of Warcraft, and most of them weren’t very good and a lot of money was wasted on it.

12. Dawngreeter says:

I’m still waiting for Waiting For Godot MOBA. So far it’s pretty awesome.

13. malkav11 says:

I don’t know why they’re bothering in the first place, but I am totally content to leave that thing on mobiles and keep the PC brand all about awesome RPGs.

14. Shodex says:

Pls no

15. SkittleDiddler says:

Think about it this way: if it doesn’t make it to PC, absolutely nothing of value will be lost.

Our platform needs less of these games, not more.

16. Davie says:

How about a Dark Souls MOBA while we’re at it? A Walking Dead MOBA! Perhaps a Spec Ops: The Line MOBA.

Of all the things the world doesn’t need…

• Niko says:

I’ll throw in a few more: Dishonored MOBA, Bioshock MOBA, Sir, You Are Being Hunted MOBA.

17. Michael Fogg says:

I find it ridiculous that the characters from TW2, who used to have their arches and play their roles in the story, will now star as ‘heroes’ and will be doomed forever to neverending battles that never affect the status quo (or at least until the servers becoma a ghost town)

18. Fiyenyaa says:

Are there not yet enough Lords Management Simulators (aka Wizard ‘Em Ups) on the market yet?

This is looking awfully similar the MMO situation around about 2006; EVERYONE IS MAKING AN MMO NOW. There’s gonna be a lot big failures, I think.

• malkav11 says:

It’s basically developers hoping to win the lottery. The odds are very poor, but the potential payout is so large that everyone wants to take a whack anyway.

19. MkMax says:

I wonder if every time a MOBA fails developers from the other games scream “THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!” while making thunder noises and throwing things at the windows