Mega Bucks: Extra Crowdfunding For A Mightier No. 9

By Adam Smith on July 7th, 2014 at 11:00 am.

Mighty No. 9 is looking mighty fine, as we’ve established previously. It’s Mega Man in all but name, with original creator Keiji Infafune at the helm, boss fights, power-stealing and a (nearly) spot-on visual style. Now, despite raising $3.8m on Kickstarter at the tail-end of 2013, Comcept have called to the crowd once again, seeking extra cash.

Comcept are eager to point out that the extra money isn’t needed to complete the game.

The video game we proposed in the Kickstarter campaign last year is going to be completed with all of the funding we received from backers. For this new funding campaign we are looking to add new content to the game that we did not or could not add to the stretch goals during the original funding campaign!

Extra stretch goals are the target then. The only one announced so far is $100,000 for English voice acting. Beyond that, Comcept mention “a huge list of ideas”. Maybe there’s a million dollar stretch goal that unlocks another crowdfunding campaign.

The game can be pre-ordered for $23 but none of that money will go toward the additional funding campaign. Special tiers are available for that purpose, starting at $50 and including digital rewards such as art books and a soundtrack.

Right now we have three things available for purchase in the store: pre-orders of Mighty No. 9, beta access to the game (Steam, Windows only) and non-exclusive digital rewards, including the digital retro manual, digital art book/strategy guide and digital soundtrack. Pre-orders will function as just that: pre-order sales. All content besides game pre-orders will go towards the stretch goals in the new funding campaign. For example, the Digital Rewards Tier includes a pre-order of Mighty No. 9 and digital rewards. The sales from the digital rewards will go towards the stretch goals.

And in case all of that wasn’t enough, Digital Frontier’s Mighty No. 9 animated series will probably need a cash injection at some point. That won’t come from the Compcept crowdfunding but at this stage I wouldn’t be surprised if another Kickstarter warped into view.

The original Kickstarter for Mighty No. 9 raised more than four times its original $900,000 target so I’m surprised to see a new stretch goal, but extra cash often leads to wider goalposts.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. BrainFlush says:

Maybe he and Double Fine can work out where they keep blowing the cash.

Also I find it hilarious that they offer a “2-3-4 pack” all at the same price. No discount.

Didn’t back it and glad I didn’t. Wait for Steam in sale in 1.5 years.

2. qrter says:

I’ve never backed anything on Kickstarter, but I am quite sure this wouldn’t be the game I’d start on.

Anthile says:

All those blocked memories from the terrible 90s cartoon and the cringey anime sequences from the PSX games… I did not need to remember those.

4. Choca says:

If anything, Kickstarter is a great tool to find out if a developer knows how to handle a budget.

• Xocrates says:

There is essentially no piece of software ever made that didn’t go over the budget or had significant cuts. Thing is, kickstarter makes it harder to hide when that happens.

• Philomelle says:

They didn’t go over the budget though. This is explicitly stated a slacker backer campaign, IE a way for people who missed the Kickstarter to still receive some of the backer-exclusive goodies while helping the project reach additional stretch goals.

What I don’t understand is why RPS is reporting this as some kind of shocking new development when they could’ve simply said “So hey, MN9 now has a slacker backer campaign, just like three hundred other Kickstarters that came before it.”

• fdisk says:

Divinity: Original Sin (My personal GOTY so far) didn’t ask for more money, neither did Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Banner Saga, Shadowrun Returns, Massive Chalice, and a few others I’ve backed. Even Star Citizen hasn’t asked for more money (Even though it keeps pouring in for them )

• Artea says:

Both Divinity: Original Sin and Wasteland 2 used Early Access sales to bolster their development. According to their latest update, Wasteland 2’s final budget is double from what they raised on Kickstarter thanks to Early Access sales.

• JFS says:

I’m extremely sure I remember Wasteland 2 having a slacker backer campaign.

• InternetBatman says:

Divinity Original Sin was not starting from scratch. Shadowrun Returns definitely had a slacker backer campaign and went waaaaay over budget; there’s absolutely no way they could have afforded the promises they made as stretchgoals without sales of the finished game. Even Project Eternity has made over $300k in post-campaign pre-release cash, and it still had to sign a deal with a publisher for extra QA.

• HadToLogin says:

SC asks for money 24/7 since first day.

What’s the difference between this “give us more money for english” and “give us more money and we add new spaceship/planet”?

Unless you only mean “we need money for core features”, that is.

bonuswavepilot says:

Massive Chalice has a slacker-backers thing going as well I think, if not actually a whole new campaign.

5. Lemming says:

I’m a backer with a copy of the game reward, and this may not be popular opinion, but I’m actually starting to have my doubts about this game.

The game in the teased demos first of all, while ‘ok’ isn’t nearly as delightful as the concept art, and feels like a proper 2D game a la Rayman: Origins – or even just an updated pixel-art game – could’ve been more charming and truer to its Megaman origins.

Also, the game mechanics shown (the firing and ‘absorbing’ the corpses) just doesn’t look that fun to play. A far cry from the precision platforming of its predecessor.

Now, that animated teaser gives me a totally different impression of the character I thought Beck was. Even the voice-over is talking about the character I thought he was, but he seems like a bumbling child.

I’m not complaining that promises have been broken, the game is what it is, and I’m sure it’ll be ok, but it’s nowhere even close to what the hype-machine running the show is claiming. You’d think it’s already at Pokemon levels of success and appeal.

I got the update for this via the Kickstarter campaign in my email, and it was worded as if I should be super-psyched that they are allowing additional paypal donations. Comcept should be psyched about that, what’s that got to do with me? I just wanted a new Megaman game from the guy who brought us Megaman X

• pkt-zer0 says:

“Even the voice-over is talking about the character I thought he was, but he seems like a bumbling child.”

But… that’s kind of the point? IIRC the “plot” behind the game is that some computer virus made all robots go into berserker rage, except for Beck, because he was too timid in the first place, or something.

• Philomelle says:

I imagine that they wanted to inform you in case if you have friends who didn’t get to back the project originally and would love to get another chance.

As for your expectations… honestly, it sounds like you expected another Mega Man X game. But what everyone else asked for was Mega Man. Not X or Zero or (thank goodness) ZX, but plain old Mega Man. Everyone was a bumbling child in that franchise. Cutman was the most mature individual of the group, and he still had the personality of a cocky teenager.

Though in terms of gameplay, I do hope they tone down the dash attack. I liked the previous games because they gave me options on how to handle enemies, while this one looks like the dash finisher is obligatory if you want to maintain a high rank.

• Cedori says:

Okay, I finally registered on RPS just to ask you this thing:
        What is wrong with ZX? It was an awesome game, as well as ZX:A. Moreover, I don’t quite understand why “everyone else asked for was Mega Man”. I may have lived under the rock, but weren’t all X’s until and including 5 good games, as well as Zero znd all after that?

• Philomelle says:

ZX was an embarrassing mess. The game tried to be open world without making any adjustments to the previous games’ mechanics, yet actually reduced the characters’ movement speed. It took an average of 20 minutes just to get where you wanted to be, let alone get anything done. When a 2D platformer takes longer to traverse than Skyrim, there is something wrong with the design.

ZX:A was even worse. Between disastrously bad voice acting, awkward pacing and unnecessary gimmicky stylus controls that forced you to constantly break away from the on-screen action, it was a pile of good ideas that completely failed to stick together. And let’s not even get started on its story and how it abandoned all of the previous game’s plot for the sake of a messier, less sensible plot.

Those two games together managed to put all the last nails into the franchise’s coffin. They played badly and sold even worse, to the point where Capcom abandoned the sub-series on a cliffhanger.

And yes, X and Zero series were all amazing games. However, they had completely different ambiance from original Mega Man games and a person who enjoyed the X series would not necessarily enjoy the original series.

• Cedori says:

Okay… Your points sound reasonable (although I somehow failed to note them during my multiple playthroughs). Ah, I still wish someone from Capcom would flee to continue X->Zero->ZX series.

• subedii says:

No offense, but I really dislike the animation style shown in the recent Rayman games, and much prefer what they’ve shown here so far.

6. Philomelle says:

Is today an especially slow news day or something?

I believe this is the first time I’ve ever seen a slacker backer campaign given a news article and they’ve existed ever since stretch goals became a thing.

7. InternetBatman says:

I’ll be interested to try the final game and see what kind of precedent this sets. Additional calls for funding are not unheard of, but this will set a benchmark for public opinion. Reception seems too mixed for Broken Age (I loved the first part), but consensus will probably be built over two or three big projects.

8. Fox89 says:

Don’t really see any issue here. This isn’t an ‘oh god we’re over budget help’ campaign, this is a ‘we’re fine but how about we add even MORE stuff?’ campaign.

Which is OK, although I’d be disappointed if a release date slipped because of all this ‘Bonus’ stuff. I didn’t back this one so my money isn’t on the line, but if I was a backer who had to wait while they added stuff that wasn’t in the initial scope I’d be pretty pissed.

9. Nevard says:

Is there any method by which I can “Kickstop” this animated series?

• BrainFlush says:

You get all my likes/thumb ups/recommends/+1’s if RPS actually had a good comment/message system.

• dE says:

The RPS Comment System is flawed but most certainly not for the reasons you listed. The omission of an upvote system is a strength.

• InternetBatman says:

I disagree. RPS commentors are frequently taken in by trolls, and then half a page is filled up by two people arguing viciously; a downvote system that collapses comments with enough downvotes would ameliorate that problem.

• Lemming says:

That would very cool.

• HadToLogin says:

PC Gamer used to have that. Made a mess of any kind of talks, as it changed them from:

-Great article
            -Your stupid
            -It’s you’re stupid, stupid
            into:
            -Great article
            -It’s you’re stupid, stupid
            -Your stupid.

RPS already gets messy when there’s long discussion and makes “reply” button disappear and people sometimes forget to write with who they (dis)agree.

• fatgleeson says:

Until an unpopular opinion is posted and it gets hidden away, thus people are only exposed to already-accepted opinions and nobody hears the other sides. RPS comments are refreshing in that sense, there isnt a little number dictating whether you should read this comment or not – you read it and make up your own mind.

“The omission of an upvote system is a strength.”
            +1 (hawhaw)

As for long comment threads that go more than 5 replies deep, yes that can be confusing to tell who’s replying to who. Luckily most people specify that at the beginning. Improvements are of course welcome but Please RPS dont ever add voting. Its already hurt the comment section of many other sites I enjoy

10. Tony M says:

Wouldn’t “wider goalposts” make it easier to score, not harder? Or is Comcept the Goal Keeper in this metaphor? Please translate into… non-British English.

11. Shadow says:

What I keep wondering is, why do you need over four million dollars (or anywhere near that figure) to make an old school Mega Man-like with all the possible bells and whistles? Is this game intended to have hundreds of hand-crafted levels or something? Dozens of playable characters? How much of a premium is being paid for the sake of an “all-star” development team?

• Philomelle says:

There is no premium being paid. That is legitimately how much it costs to develop a 2D platformer with AAA-level presentation.

It’s pretty much the whole reason why Capcom put a lid on the Mega Man franchise. Its fanbase was a very local minority and the games failed to refund their development costs (I’m not even talking about making a profit) for many years now.

• Shuck says:

Yep, that’s what small AAA games cost. The popular notion of the cost of game development has been warped by Kickstarters that aren’t raising the full amount they need – they’re usually half-done when the Kickstarter begins, are bedroom developers who are paying themselves little to nothing during the rest of development, and they’re usually streamlining features to make things as cheap as possible, so no detailed, hand-drawn 2D animations, for example, as they add a lot to the cost.

12. MkMax says:

they got 4 times the money they were asking for, FOUR TIMES, they should be talking about Mighty no.13 by now

sniff sniff, something stinks… oh yeah it smells like Capcom, How much should we bet all this “extra content” will be on-disk DLC locked for initial backers and low tiers

edit: i just noticed that one of the unlocked extras back on the ORIGINAL kickstarter was “retro chiptune soundtracks” … seriously, what could be over retro chiptune soundtracks

13. Adamlocke says:

I may be wrong but I’ve heard that Inafune is not Megaman creator, it seems that he stole the credit from Akira Kitamura. Has anyone heard about that too?

• kwyjibo says:

I may be wrong, but I heard that you enjoy beating your wife. Has anyone heard about that too?

• Adamlocke says:

Gosh, y’ouve heard about this too? More seriously, i’ve heard more than once about this, even read about this on wikipedia (the french version is more frank on this than the english one…) and as there each time no source to back up the claim i just ask if anyone has some…

• Philomelle says:

It’s really awkward to claim that he “stole credit” when he’s the source of the information in the first place.

“I’m often called the father of Mega Man, but actually, his design was already created when I joined Capcom,” he explained. “My mentor [at Capcom], who was the designer of the original Mega Man, had a basic concept of what Mega Man was supposed to look like. So I only did half of the job in creating him. I didn’t get to completely design a Mega Man [protagonist] from scratch until Zero (Mega Man X, SNES). Back when the SNES was coming out, I was asked to give Mega Man a redesign, so I created this character. But I realized that this design wouldn’t be accepted as Mega Man, so I had another designer create the new Mega Man, and I worked on Zero to release him as the ‘other main character’ that would steal all the good scenes!”

” It was the first title that I was involved in when I joined Capcom, and I’ve really been in the industry together with the series. It was the Mega Man series that taught me how to make video games, like what kind of points had to be detailed, and what kind of points had to be watched out for. I’m often called the creator of Mega Man or the father of Mega Man, but it’s really the Mega Man series that created me.”

Both quotes are from his interview for the series’ 20th anniversary.

• Adamlocke says:

I see your point, but don’t you think that 20 years (or so) of fame for that feat and coming out of it as he “took” almost all that he could from Megaman (as with his attitude, working again with Capcom will be difficult), i mean, the man was made thanks to the claim that he was the creator of Megaman, almost all project he started were thanks to that aura. The word stealing is maybe strong, but not deniying this “legend”during the 20 first years of his career seems me… wrong.

• Philomelle says:

If you think being “the claim of being the creator of Mega Man” is the key feature of Inafune’s contribution to Capcom and video games, you really have no idea what you’re talking about.

His long-term contribution to Mega Man was much greater than Kitamura’s. Inafune was responsible for character design and production on the series long after Kitamura left it, he produced both Zero and Legends, and he was the one who put together the series’ massive lore into something coherent.

Outside of Mega Man, he created Onimusha, pulled numerous strings to ensure the continued development of Lost Planet (for which he also wrote the script), Dead Rising and Shadow of Rome, and he was the executive producer on most Capcom games between 2008 and 2012.

Yes, he is the most reclusive of Capcom’s old big names and has the least interviews or public presence. But that makes sense because with the sheer number of projects he normally has running at the same time, it’s amazing that he manages to get any sleep.

14. Adamlocke says:

15. Mete says:

For 100,000,00 I could have made this game alone.

16. ElDopa says:

Oh my god that’s just horrible.

17. Radiant says:

THREE POINT EIGHT MILLION POUNDS FOR A FUCKING SIDE SCROLLING PLATFORM GAME.

The fuck are these guys doing?????

There should be a rule where 20 percent of all money raised on kickstarter goes to a fucking decent, proven, project manager.

• Radiant says:

This has to be a cover up for Benghazi.

• Radiant says:

Benghazi and illuminati are just words guys say because they think it makes them sound smart.

Like, they’ll just say it on it’s own or they might add a sentence to the end of it.

18. Andrigaar says:

Wow, is this a slow reading comprehension day or what?

None of the angry comments are from people who actually watched any of the video and are just responding with a gut reaction for several failed attempts at cutting snark. Inafune clearly states in the video that the game’s budget is fine and that this is for extras on top. Shoo, most of you need to put the keyboard down.

19. Applypoison says:

Pretty psyched to learn about this reboot, although somewhat disappointed Inafune went with vanilla Megaman instead of X.

The NES/SNES/PS1 titles were awesome for many reasons (including the soundtracks and hidden power-ups), but i have to admit X’s wall kick-climbing gimmick was what I enjoyed the most. Made boss battles a lot more interesting, too.