How Much Hearthstone’s Expansion Will (Or Won’t) Cost You

By Nathan Grayson on July 9th, 2014 at 9:00 am.

Sometimes I don’t think I’ll ever be able to escape how much Blizzard shaped young me as a gamer and a person. Case in point: while I haven’t really invested much time (or any money) into Hearthstone, I saw that the first section in Blizzard’s outline of expansion Curse of Naxxramas‘ pricing structure is titled “All Naxx-cess Pass” and thought, “Damn it, now I can’t use my pun.” I guess I should  dig into Hearthstone soon. Now seems to be a fairly opportune time given that the Naxx expansion will offer the improbably popular card game’s first real single-player campaign, unlockable or purchasable bit-by-bit or all at once.

Here’s how the pricing will break down when Naxxramas launches soon (there’s no precise date just yet):

Most simply, you’ll be able to snag all five wings of Naxxramas for a flat fee of £17.49/$24.99. Alternatively, you can take the slower, more hard-fought route, which will begin with the Arachnid Quarter open for free if you start your quest during the expansion’s launch month. After that, individual wings will be available for either 700 gold (which is entirely earnable in-game) or £4.99/$6.99 a piece.

There will also be dungeon bundles based on how many wings you already own. So you could grind your way toward opening up a few, decide you’re sick of the slog, and plunk down a less hefty sum on the two remaining ones.

Naxxramas won’t close its doors forever just because you gave mean ol’ Kel’Thuzad the worst paper cut of his life, though. There will be a WoW-like Heroic mode for players who breeze right on through, and it’ll work like this: “Heroic mode bosses are significantly more difficult than their normal versions, and they will prove to be a challenge for even the most veteran Hearthstone players. Defeating all of the bosses in Naxxramas on Heroic mode will unlock a new card back for your collection.”

So that’s Naxx in a nutshell. I remember when my WoW guild first tried to raid the original Naxx, and now it’s a card game. Really puts it all in perspective. Shows that a) times and tastes change massively and b) Blizzard will always find a way to make money hand over fist despite that.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. ran93r says:

I think the gold cost came in a little lower than what some people were predicting. I will likely hold on to my gowlds though and just shell out real money for all the wings, especially as the price is pretty reasonable.

2. Nevard says:

That’s actually cheaper in both gold and real money than I was expecting.

drewski says:

700 gold seems pretty good for a “wing”. Not sure I get the point of a single player CCG campaign though.

Do you have to buy access to the expansion to get a chance of the new cards in your boosters?

• spacedyemeerkat says:

Yes, you do. At least I think you do. Now I’m not sure.

As for the cost, I think it’s incredibly reasonable (talking about real money), especially while at £13.99. Some moaning across the web but can’t for the life of me see why.

Arathain says:

There won’t be any Naxx cards in the boosters. They all have to be earned by beating the bosses and doing the class challenges. They’ll all be added to the Arena pool, though, which I’m very excited about. All the class cards are common, so that’ll have a big impact.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Hmm, I heard today Kripp was saying that the new cards will be craftable only so I don’t think they will appear in boosters. There are some as rewards for doing Naxx I believe.

Arathain says:

The only way to get the gold versions of the new cards will be crafting them. Perhaps that’s what Kripp was talking about.

4. Tinotoin says:

It’s actually somewhat more than I was expecting, but I guess I’m just a shameless optimist – it’s still a very fair price, and I’m glad I’ve been hoarding all gold for the last few weeks :)

Really looking forward to this.

5. Reapy says:

Very glad I’ve been casually doing dailies, am sitting on about 2200 gp so should be able to save up soon enough for the whole thing, though I wonder if it’s still better for me to grab arena runs since I still can’t put together a respectable deck, eh.

6. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Considering the base game is free (to play), that’s indeed a decent price. It does somewhat irk me that Nathan neglected to add the price in euros but I suppose the main focus of rps is on the USians and Britishers. Bah, humbug.

7. Mhorhe says:

Pleasantly surprised by the positive reaction of the RPS fan club :) Coming in here I was bracing myself for the wave of hate/complaints I had witnessed on the other 2 articles RPS had done on Hearthstone.

I’m quite psyched about the whole thing, will really inject some life into the game. I find the price to be quite fair – both in gold and real live cash. I was actually expecting a rather unreasonable 1000 gold per wing, 700 is definitely fair.

I’ve managed to scrounge up 3700+ gold in the last 2-3 months without straining myself for more than 30-40 mins a day at Hearthstone.. to me it does look like Free To Play indeed.

8. milton says:

I stopped playing Hearthstone a while back finding the game a little repetitive and simple (not that I was good), good to see they making real steps to add in more content and adding more cards to the game.

9. Zamn10210 says:

It’s worth noting that the gold/real money ratio is very poor, so you’re better off paying with real money – unless you’re not going to use your gold anyway.

The four non-free wings cost 2800 gold, but only £14. 2800 gold would get you 28 packs, or 18 arena entries. £14 only gets you 15 packs, or 9 arena entries.