Boo! Lords of the Fallen Coming On Halloween

By Alice O'Connor on July 9th, 2014 at 2:00 pm.

What appears to be a chap in a rather unpleasant spider Halloween costume.

I like Halloween. I like the spooky music, the spooky movies, the spooky costumes, the spooky canapés, the spooky cocktails, the spooky video games–all the spooky things. Not to mention the cheap fake blood. The first video game to draw a circle around October 31 with a red pen this year (or is it blood? is it your blood?) is Lords of the Fallen, declaring that’s when it’ll launch.

In the way that we lazy types will summarise games to clue readers in and show off our ‘wit,’ I’ll say it looks like a nice third-person action game that’s come as Dark Souls for Halloween.

It looks like a decent monster-mashing game, where surly men in shiny armour will need to carefully time attacks and dodges rather than button-mash, and has RPG-ish character-building bits. But that description also basically applies to Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and loads of other games, so comparisons to Dark Souls from fans and press (us included) puzzle me.

What made Dark Souls shine for me was its loneliness, the baffling-then-delightful intricacies of building a character, the slow reveal of an interconnected world riddled with secrets and shortcuts, mysteries it was happy for me to be ignorant of, perseverance, and feelings of helplessness. I haven’t played Lords of the Fallen yet, but with its cutscenes, chatter, mostly-linear levels (granted, they will have new things if revisted), and talk of making players feel powerful, I’m not seeing Dark Souls. I suppose it speaks to Dark Souls’ impact that we immediately think of it when we’re told a game is difficult and has swords.

Have a gander at this old video and see what you make of Lords of the Fallen. It does look fun:

, , , , .

1. Keyrock says:

That’s as fitting a time for that game to come out as any. It will have to wait, assuming I ever get it at all, as I’ll already have plenty on my plate at that time, namely Costume Quest 2 and Bayonetta 2.

2. Turkey says:

This is pretty much 100% what I imagined a western developed Dark Souls would look like. Complete with tiny-headed Beefy McLargehuge character models and epic lore written by a 16 yo high school student. Combat looks fun, tho.

3. Spider Jerusalem says:

I can’t wait for the sequel, Lords of the Fallen: Rise of the Risen Rose.

4. skyturnedred says:

The game does look fun, and I see why Dark Souls is referenced, but I’m not expecting it to be anything like DS.

• killias2 says:

I was reading a preview over here (linked from RPGWatch): http://www.totalxbox.com/79045/previews/lords-of-the-fallen-six-ways-it-could-be-xbox-ones-first-killer-dungeon-crawler/

I want to draw attention to this quote: “However, I’m told that it should take ‘an experienced Dark Souls player’ around 30-40 hours to complete the game.”

So.. the people making the game are using people’s experience with the Souls games as an indication of how good they’ll be.

• skyturnedred says:

That does sound promising, but I was more going for “don’t expect Dark Souls so you won’t get disappointed.” Mostly trying to prevent myself from getting hyped up and then disappointed.

• killias2 says:

Rather than suggesting that we should go in expecting a proper Souls game, I was just pointing to the fact that it’s the developer and/or publisher that is helping to fan this flame of comparison. They are self-consciously making a Souls-inspired game.

Whether it’ll be anywhere near as good.. I can’t say. I’m not optimistic, but it still might be fun.

• zentropy says:

Like DkS2 then :(

• killias2 says:

Dark Souls 2 is still almost certainly my GOTY. I can see some of the weaknesses relative to the earlier titles (boss design, narrative), but I still love the pieces out of it. I actually spent more time on it than Dark Souls 1.

5. arisian says:

It’s the lighting model. The reason it makes everyone think of Dark Souls is that they’re using a very similar illumination model; that, combined with vaguely similar animations and camera settings, give it the “look and feel” of Dark Souls. Much as everyone thinks that it’s the “lonliness” or “despair” or “connectedness” or whatever that made DS special, the thing that makes people automatically compare this game to DS is just the way it looks (and in particular, the way it’s lit).

6. jonahcutter says:

Technically, if what is shown holds up in actual release, it looks great. The design itself though is fairly standard. Somewhat cartoonish, dark fantasy.

Combat looks like it might scratch the Dark Souls itch, if it’s not too easy. Of course he’s armored, weaponed, and robed and yet rolling around like a naked circus monkey. Same absurd-looking, worn-out old trope there. Even the Souls games are guilty of that one.

Might be a decent game if it can overcome what looks like its own blandness. Hell, DS2′s world-building was pretty uninspired itself. No reason it couldn’t surpass that.

Bradamantium says:

Roguelite is to roguelike as ????? is to “Dark Souls”? Really, we need an equivalent for all the games yelling I’M INSPIRED BY DARK SOULS! and equating that to “There’s swords, and it can be kind of tough, maybe. Not much light or stuff either.”

8. Lobotomist says:

Dark Souls made by makers of Witcher. Shut up and take my money !

• lordfrikk says:

Despite loving the Witcher games I’d rather they stay way because they still suck at designing the combat system, so far both games had one that’s nowhere near as good and enjoyable as the on in DS.

9. killias2 says:

Finally watched the video. One huge difference here is the narrative style. The Souls games would never have so many cutscenes and what-not.

• Blackcompany says:

Glad someone mentioned this.

I am all for Souls inspired games. Seriously. But making such a deal of your inspiration implies you want gamers to love your game like they love the Souls games. The problem is that, to achieve that, it takes more than difficulty and a solid combat system.

The Souls games are about mystery, despair, loneliness and fighting in a hopeless situation. The narrative – such as it is – is left intentionally vague. Exploration is prized over exposition – as it should be in games.

Getting these things right is every bit as important to those who love Souls (Souls-a-likes; can we say that now, or do we have to wait for actual release) than nailing uber-hard but chunky combat. Heck, compared to Dark Soul the First, Dark 2 isn’t even all that hard. But I still love it.

Solid combat and big challenging bosses do not a Souls-a-Like make. That’s just one ingredient in the recipe.

10. Shooop says:

Looks like just your typical high on “cinematic experience”, low on gameplay dungeon crawler.

11. Easy says:

That lever? It has DS written all over it :P

12. Cortes says:

What a great news! I waiting so much for this information from CI Games and Deck 13 and now I read it. Too much games will be have release date in October. I wait to this game so now I’m calm because Lords of the Fallen not will be delay to 2015 like another next-gen game.