Ruddy Women! Watch 7 Minutes Of Abyss Odyssey

By Alice O'Connor on July 10th, 2014 at 8:00 am.

Bop.

“This is no place for a woman! Get outta here!” a soldier cries in the opening seconds of Abyss Odyssey. Really, a hellish abyss opened up in 19th century Chile is no place for anyone, and she certainly fares better than all those poor chaps. So begins Zeno Clash chaps ACE Team’s procedurally-generated punchy platformer, as shown off in a new seven-minute gameplay video. Or six minutes of gameplay then another of cutscenes. Look, it’s the start of the game, you guys.

As you’d expect from the game’s opening, the video explains the combat basics that can be pieced together to make those fancy combos we’ve admired before. Abyss Odyssey is far more about the punching/kicking/stabbing/fireballing/charging than the jumpy, with all the cancels and air moves and dashes and whatnot one would from a fighting game. Players can turn into defeated enemies, which range from birdmen to tree monsters, and each have their own moveset.

Coupled with procedurally-generated levels, it should have a lot to explore and play with. It’s looking pretty fab, though I would appreciate a demo.

‘Pre-ordering is for the bold and foolish’ and all that, but it is a third-off before launch, down to £7.33 on Steam. It’s a fraction big enough to make a sensible person try to convince herself “But I like their other games so much and just think what I could do with the £4 saved!”

, , .

1. staberas says:

Is that Motoko’s Voice actor ? D:

AngelTear says:

You, dear Sir/Madam, made me watch the trailer just to check that.
      I believe she is. She has a very peculiar tone, and she modulates her voice in a unique way. Sometimes she almost sounds too monotone/unnatural, in that weird way that still works but shouldn’t.

I do have to admit, I switched to the Japanese voice acting fairly soon, also because of her, even though I’ve grown to like her eventually.

2. domogrue says:

Looks like exceptional fun, and its great to see ACE team trying new ideas and expanding their catalog of genres. There’s something about the art style though that’s putting me off a bit that feels bland; maybe its the lack of color and “pop” compared to all the other ACE games. Still, I’ll play it for the wiff-bam-kapow but all the screenshots of the game I’ve seen feel underwhelming to me, if not the execution of the mechanics.

3. fn8rd says:

the art style seems to emulate alfonse mucha’s – http://bit.ly/1miFHtZ (just a link to google images) – a fin de siecle artist from prague (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphonse_Mucha) … very pretty stuff!

4. smeaa mario says:

Needless to say, this looks quite awesome. Still, I can’t help but see another game with huge wasted potential, because everything could be tenfold more beautiful if this was an arena brawler, not a side scroller. I realize that it also means tenfold work, but still…

• pepperfez says:

Does “arena brawler” mean Smash Bros-style? Because they’ve discussed post-release balancing to make that mode of play viable.

• smeaa mario says:

Well, I think “arena brawler” actually does describe Smash Bros. Let me correct that. What I mean is being able to move up and down on a planar surface (blame me for bringing this up on the table everytime, but still not knowing the correct term). Very classic examples would include Cadillacs and Dinosaurs or Final Fight.

5. Snidesworth says:

Definitely interested in this, though they need to sort out the camera during co-op. Didn’t zoom out anywhere near far enough when they started to move apart. I’m curious to see just how different each of the playable characters are. The website indicates that there’ll be a few dozen of them.

SuddenSight says:

I’ve seen them go back and forth on whether to call it playable characters or playable enemies.

EIther way, this post goes into detail on the number of enemies you can play the game as, and what the difference is between playing one of the three “main” characters and playings as one of the enemies.

Rizlar says:

This looks superb!

7. BooleanBob says:

Looking good. Also looking like the sort of game I’d be absolutely crap at. I might have to set it to easy and button mash through the game.

8. fatgleeson says:

So nothing to do with Abe’s Odyssey?

Rizlar says:

Somehow I have finally managed to rid myself of that association. Think this is the first time I’ve read the game’s title without immediately expecting to see a bald green dude.

cpt_freakout says:

I love ACE Team. I will suck at this game, but I’ll love it for sure. Hopefully we’ll get another article on the visuals from RPS at some point, like the one you did for ZC 2 :D

10. Lemming says:

This looks exactly like Bloodrayne Betrayal with a different (not as charming) art style.

11. int says:

Coin sprays made me think of Claw.

Around 2 minutes into the video: Doom revenants sans shoulder rockets and a HOMM3 mighty gorgon!

RedViv says:

This music. THIS MUSIC.

• dE says:

Indeed. I preordered it. Even if the game turns out to be complete trash – something that looks quite unlikely – I’ll have the shiny Soundtrack. And by everything I’ve heard from it, that’s worth the money on it’s own.

13. SuicideKing says:

Looks great!

I failed to see any “partial nudity” though…as I’m growing older i increasingly feel that ESRB ratings are fucked up.

14. rusty5pork says:

That music is VERY Castlevania. I pretty much fucking love everything about this.

15. Geebs says:

Combat looks very janky/mashy/spammy compared with, say, Metroid or SoTN. Seems impossible to fight with any skill, just sucker punches all the time.